• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the word "Eskimo" offend you?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just use the word "sheeple"?

Three words to never say if you want to be taken seriously: Sheeple, guesstimate and irregardless.

Your mom taught it to me.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really knew he doesn't go that way anyway, it was more likely your father:D

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, considering you immediately went for the "your mom" joke, I was not putting your age much past the mid 20s. My mom died in '91.

Right, so dial my birth back to the 60s or so. Eh whatever. Beaker, you're no fun. /slit wrists.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Eskimo an inherently offensive term? I thought it was the same as "Italian" or "Irish".

If that is the case, this is not the same as the Redskins name at all. Redskin is a word that was used to demean an entire group of people. I don't think anyone calls someone an " Eskimo" out of hate.

The term they use themselves is Innuit.

Good thing someone squawked though, or we wouldn't have another excuse for white guys to moan about how PC correctness is ruining western civilization!

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, so dial my birth back to the 60s or so. Eh whatever. Beaker, you're no fun. /slit wrists.
Heh, yeah. I am a lot of fun at parties! I will correct your grammar and teach you calculus!

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good thing someone squawked though, or we wouldn't have another excuse for white guys to moan about how PC correctness is ruining western civilization!
I just wanted to say your Avatar is great. Belkar is the best. I AM A SHOELESS, SEXY GOD OF WAR!!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to say your Avatar is great. Belkar is the best. I AM A SHOELESS, SEXY GOD OF WAR!!

Just don't call me a halfling, you supremacist human! I"m a hobbit!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Did you just use the word "sheeple"?

Three words to never say if you want to be taken seriously: Sheeple, guesstimate and irregardless.

I had a college professor who said "misconfusion" all semester. That's the only thing I remember from that class.

A COLLEGE professor. :rolleyes2:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In that case Edmonton should change their name to the Innuits.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Eskimo an inherently offensive term? I thought it was the same as "Italian" or "Irish".

If that is the case, this is not the same as the Redskins name at all. Redskin is a word that was used to demean an entire group of people. I don't think anyone calls someone an " Eskimo" out of hate.

Actually, no, it's not.

From this link; The Facts

"Before all the fanfare associated with Redskins football, there was the name itself.

• More than a decade ago, in the authoritative linguistic survey “I Am A Red-Skin: The Adoption of a Native American Expression (1769-1826),” Ives Goddard—the senior linguist and curator at the Smithsonian Institution—concluded that the word “redskins” was created by Native Americans, and that it was first used as an inclusive expression of solidarity by multi-tribal delegations who traveled to Washington, D.C. to negotiate national policy towards Native Americans. “The actual origin of the word (redskin) is entirely benign,” Goddard is quoted as saying.
  • Prominent Indian leaders of the 19th century—from Sitting Bull (a Hunkpapa Lakota Chief) to French Crow (Principal Chief of the Wahpekute band of Santee Sioux) to Tecumseh (a Shawnee chief)—are documented as having referred to themselves as “Red Men” or “Red-skins.”
  • On the inaugural Redskins team in 1933, four players and then-head coach William Henry “Lone Star” Dietz identified themselves as Native Americans."

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm white (Italian mostly), early 30's, and I'm a teacher. Can I be part of the victim class too?

If anyone can help me think of a way I've been victimized, I'd appreciate it.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are offended by a word, you are thin-skinned, spiteful and have entirely too much free-time.
Parents must have stopped teaching their kids about "sticks and stones"? Also, the media keeps giving these bitches a soap box to stand on which causes more people to find shit to cry about since they will get attention for it.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California passed a law banning the use of the name Redskins among others for school mascots. My kid's school teams are called the Redskins and now they have to rename their school name. No one ever complained about the school name. Some far left PC politician decided it was offensive and write a bill banning such names. With all the issues the govt has to face, these morons waste time with such stupidity.

My alumni high school was the Redskins for the past 100 years or so but was changed to the Redhawks this year because of the whole issue.

Eh. I am over it. I really don't care so much.

What does piss me off is that there is a high school up the coast that is called the Neah Bay Red Devils, which is a term that most would consider way more offensive than Redskins (when you look at how it was used in a historical context), but no one has said a single word about them having to change their name because the population is 90+% native american.

So I guess that it is ok to use what could be considered derogatory terms regarding a race as long as you are of that race???? Is that where the line is drawn?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so tired of this uber sensitive society.