• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the Dubs need a trade?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know I have not been here in a while, but it's because I am so busy. I do pop in occasionally and read what's been going on.

Anyway, watching this team, I see a young core of guys who are rapidly improving as a unit. What I also see are some EXTREME defensive lapses that are not going to disappear anytime soon. _avi_ Lee is what he is. While he has improved, he is still a gaping hole down low.

Klay has his moments, but he's never going to be mistaken for a top-notch athlete and his focus tends to reside mostly on his shooting. Curry has quickness, but not much defensive determination. Barnes is a kid, so I am giving him this year to learn what Jackson has to say.

Over the past few weeks, I have heard the trade rumors swirling around the Dubs quite a lot. The team is over the luxury tax line and I know that management wants to get below that. The easy way out is to deal one or two of the low-salary guys for draft picks. It would get the job done, but would thin the team.

Another option is to package one of the dead weight contracts (Biedrins, Jefferson) with a current player to get an expiring deal back.

Finally, a blockbuster could be made.

Personally, I like the middle idea. I think that Klay Thompson is what he is - a terrific shooter with ball handling issues who will one day end up more like J.R. Smith than Shane Battier. Rumors have said that the Dubs are looking at Eric Gordon, but I think that is a terrible idea. Gordon is definitely a defensive stalwart, but he's more injury-prone than Curry. Having two injury risks in the same back court is not something Dubs fans need.

My ultimate trade would be Klay, Jefferson, Rush and Landry for Pierce and Courtney Lee. The deal works if Rush agrees to the trade.

Fire away. I might respond today, or I might take a few days to get back here. But I am interested in what the regs think about making a huge deal.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've actually read the opposite about management's opinion of the luxury tax. However, I can understand why they would want to get under it (if only to avoid a possible uptick in fees for being a repeat offender down the road). Also, they are so close to being under that it just makes sense from a business perspective. Everything I have read may just be lip service to keep the pitchfork carrying dullards at bay, though.

I agree with your assessment of the team (especially Klay - move your feet!) and view of Gordon. It would take too much to get him, and it would tie up too much money in two players with major injury concerns (once Steph really, really gets paid, of course). I hate your trade idea, though. The only positives are getting out from under Jefferson's contract and improving the perimeter defense for the immediate future. I might consider it if Landry were taken out and Rush weren't on such an agreeable contract, but that would make it a bad move for the Celtics.

There really isn't anyone available, attainable and helpful. This team needs to grow together. I understand that defies the logic of once you have a playoff-caliber team, make tweaks to get to the next level, but I just don't think those tweaks are out there without producing a gaping hole or two. I realize most of these young players will never be above average defenders, but I still think enough of them can be average to the point of learning to win together.

So, I guess I favor the first option of a minor move to get under the luxury tax. Plus, the $20 mil worth of expiring contracts may come in handy next year at the deadline. I think the front office is building the team correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm perfectly fine moving forward, this season, with this exact roster. The biggest reason I would not opt for a roster shake up right now is because I don't believe there is a logical/plausible trade out there that would allow us to be a true "championship contender". Right now, as constructed, we're a playoff team. The only way we don't make the playoffs is a complete and utter meltdown.

The last 5 games were indeed terrible, but their errors were more mental than they were physical. They had terrible defensive rotations, and were not closing out on wide open shooters. These are correctable problems. By a pure talent stand point, this team should be able to compete with anyone in the league.

I believe Klay may eventually need to be moved, but his trade value is not going to be diminished in the slightest by next season. We'll have 2 (3 if you include Bogut) huge expiring contracts which are going to be extremely attractive to teams. You add in guys like Klay or Barnes and the ability to add in a 1st round draft pick(after this season's pick likely goes to the Jazz), and you're going to have one of the most attractive offers out on the market. You'll be able to be in play for a big name player on the Market, still be competitive and if all else fails have a very good young core of players to build around.

This season isn't going to bring us a championship. No need in rocking the boat right now for some knee jerk reaction to a 5 game losing streak.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm perfectly fine moving forward, this season, with this exact roster. The biggest reason I would not opt for a roster shake up right now is because I don't believe there is a logical/plausible trade out there that would allow us to be a true "championship contender". Right now, as constructed, we're a playoff team. The only way we don't make the playoffs is a complete and utter meltdown.

The last 5 games were indeed terrible, but their errors were more mental than they were physical. They had terrible defensive rotations, and were not closing out on wide open shooters. These are correctable problems. By a pure talent stand point, this team should be able to compete with anyone in the league.

I believe Klay may eventually need to be moved, but his trade value is not going to be diminished in the slightest by next season. We'll have 2 (3 if you include Bogut) huge expiring contracts which are going to be extremely attractive to teams. You add in guys like Klay or Barnes and the ability to add in a 1st round draft pick(after this season's pick likely goes to the Jazz), and you're going to have one of the most attractive offers out on the market. You'll be able to be in play for a big name player on the Market, still be competitive and if all else fails have a very good young core of players to build around.

This season isn't going to bring us a championship. No need in rocking the boat right now for some knee jerk reaction to a 5 game losing streak.

This. That is better way of putting it. Would you be upset if the front office made a small move to get under the luxury tax? Is that possible? It may weaken the depth for this playoff run, but as you so eloquently put it, there isn't much hope of a championship this season anyway.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna admit that I did not read any of the responses so if its repetitive, so be it. You're Warriors fans. For lack of a better phrase, you've sucked for a good long while. You finally have a pretty solid core that could potentially be the 4th seed in the West in the first year of that core's existence. Chill the fuck out with roster moves and just let it simmer. You've waited this long, you can wait an extra year

I don't know the financial status of the team if the new owner doesn't mind spending or wants to be a cheapskate like Robert Sarver, but unless you have a pressing money issue, there is no need to move anyone. Pray that Bogut can be healthy and wait a year or so for Curry/Barnes/Thompson to full develop (Curry is pretty much there) and you're a legit title team. Don't fuck that up making tweaks in year 1

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is a fucking disaster. I no longer care what the fuck they do. Fuck you Warriors.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thumped again by another mediocre team. Not sure a trade is the answer. They need to want to play defense and rebound. Additionally, you cannot get two pints from the Center position and expect to win very many games.

Last edited by a moderator:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has not learned how to win yet. Their confidence is at an all time low. The body language is terrible on the court. I think all aspects of the game need to be improved, even the coaching. Jackson and his staff are doing a horrible job of utilizing the zone defense. Last night they went to a "smaller" lineup and went to a zone defense.

I'm not absolving the players, as they are playing like shit right now on defense. However, the lineups Jackson is using is terrible, especially once he gets to the second unit. Jefferson needs to go back to the bench. The employment of the zone defense should only be used in cases where the opposition has no outside shooters and a bunch of low post scorers. They often times seem to use it when the opposite is true (see Houston games).

In the end, the players need to look within themselves and just man up against their own guy. They need to stop relying on help defense and just put a body between the man they're guarding and the basket. That simple.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad part is that this team needs a big athletic guard who can defend, rebound and knock down open shots. I was looking for guys to acquire and the perfect solution for the Warriors would be a guy named Brandon Rush.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad part is that this team needs a big athletic guard who can defend, rebound and knock down open shots. I was looking for guys to acquire and the perfect solution for the Warriors would be a guy named Brandon Rush.

Exactly. When Z-Bo took out B-Rush, only Dub fans knew the eventual negative impact that would have. No one else on the team provides his ability to get to the rim and hit mid-range jumpers with perimeter defense. In my eyes, that bumped them from a 6-seed to an 8-seed. I can only hope that the recent lack of defensive intensity doesn't cause them to slip even further.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am actually glad that the Dubs did not make a trade knowing what was out there. Even though I do not believe that Klay Thompson will ever be able to improve on his skills, I also do not believe that he is going to lose all his trade value between now and the off-season (or even deadline day next year).

Having Thompson as a trade chip with the expiring contracts of Jefferson and Biedrins means the Dubs can become SERIOUS players in the market this off season and into next year.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarrett Jack was a nice pickup.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to get rid of fuckin' Bogut. The asshole is injured again; out 2 to 6 weeks.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to get rid of fuckin' Bogut. The asshole is injured again; out 2 to 6 weeks.

The Warriors need a dominant post player - and let me explain here because that man is not on the roster.

Bogut - after seeing him get dunked on by a 6'8" Rockets player a couple of times in that loss in Oakland, I'm thinking to myself what else is this guy good for? He doesn't score a lot, and history states that this cat won't put up 20p/10reb type numbers in the league (not many guys can, but you'd figure he potentially could). He seems lost out there even before the injury. Perhaps he comes back next year even stronger but my patience is wearing thin on this guy. It's not often teams trade a center who happens to be a number 1 overall pick, but I can see the exception with this guy.

David Lee - happy he's the first Dubb since Spree to play in an ASG since the jurassic period, but after watching the Wolves game and tonight's game, I realize not only does he NOT defend (and I've known this for a long time along with a few of you - Cam and City come to mind), but the guy doesn't pass very well. Every time he throws a pass it's essentially read by the opposing defense which can lead to a fast break. He needs to work on giving bounce passes but boy, this is a far cry from the C Webb/Billy Owens days where the Warriors can actually run the offense through 2 forwards on the same team. I love Lee's touch around the basket, but for every point he scores, it almost seems as if he's prone to give those 2 points back whether it be a TO or his horrible defensive skills.

Biedrins - nice defense but easily overpaid for what he brings to the table. Can't wait for his contract to expire.

Backcourt - a lot of these TO's probably stem from the fact that the Warriors don't have a legitimate PG on this team. Pundits can say what they want about him and how these other teams regret on passing him up (Minnesota), but they need a baller back there. I mentioned this before on here - the Warriors aren't that athletic especially in the backcourt. Rush coming back next year will help but I would easily look into trading either Curry or Klay in the offseason - Curry's ankles will only get worse and if you're thinking as a GM, you may want to strike while his value is high. As for Klay, his value probably won't decrease but it probably won't increase either. He's learning how to attack the basket but he's not that Richmond type of SG that some people thought he could be.

I don't know, just my :2cents:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yoshi - I think your analysis is spot on.

I admit that when Bogut was acquired, I was expecting a lot more. I think he knows how to play defense and you can see it when he is yelling at players to be in certain spots. But his problem he just cannot execute what his mind is telling his body to do. He is just too beaten up to stop 6-foot-8 guys from rising above him and slamming the ball home.

I am resigned to the fact that _avi_ is always going to be a giant windmill who occasionally steps it up on his team's side of the court, but more often than not will do just enough to look like he's trying to step up.

As far as the back court, I am on board with trading Klay in the off season. Trading Curry would be cool with me too, but the fans would revolt. So that's just not going to happen. ASSuming Klay is traded and Curry kept, the Dubs need to acquire a Gary Payton-esque point guard - 6-foot-4 or 6-foot-5 with mad defensive skills whose first thought is to dish the ball instead of shoot.

I think the best best this team has for the future right now is the one player you failed to mention in your analysis - Harrison Barnes. This kid looks like he can turn into something special. He is a solid SF who can shoot, dribble, create, and even play defense. I know he's young and still makes mistakes that he should not. But when he matures in a year or two, he's going to be a perennial all-star and the face of this franchise.

If I was ever forced to wear one of those silly Warriors jerseys with sleeves, I would wear the Barnes jersey.

Oh, and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Real Madrid thumped your Barca team twice in a week. Hala Madrid!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This off-season they can do something major. We have the young talent, the ability to trade the following year's first round pick, and plenty of expiring contracts.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team still does not have what it takes to win consistently; they lack the desire to rebound and play defense. They will finish 9th and just miss the playoffs.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team still does not have what it takes to win consistently; they lack the desire to rebound and play defense. They will finish 9th and just miss the playoffs.

You're underestimating the complete collapse of the Utah Jazz.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're underestimating the complete collapse of the Utah Jazz.

Good point. The Jazz might just be more horrible/injured than the Warriors, and have a more difficult schedule.

I fear that a very crappy finish by the Jazz is the only thing that will keep The Ws in the top 8. I'm trying to figure out what this team does above average except hit wide open 3s.