• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Division Tie: H2H?

Should season series winner settle a tie?

• Yes.

• No. Play game #163

Results are only viewable after voting.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you okay with the NFL, NBA and NHL "weighting" division games more than regular season games?

What the NFL, NBA and NHL do is of no consequence to me and is immaterial to our discussion.

What I'm taking issue with is that you're claiming you aren't weighting those games when in fact you are.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the NFL, NBA and NHL do is of no consequence to me and is immaterial to our discussion.

What I'm taking issue with is that you're claiming you aren't weighting those games when in fact you are.

It does in this discussion because I'm proposing the same thing the NHL, NFL and NBA do with their conference/H2H/division games when it comes to tiebreakers. If that means I'm weighting the games, then I guess I am.

But the division games are not more important then the other 162, so that's why I don't consider it weighting the games over the 162.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All 162 are weighed the same.

Then AFTER, we look at NINEEFFINGTEEN games played between the two teams.

NINETEEN!!!!! games between is plenty to fairly decide a tie.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not a tie any longer. The 20th game decided that. The Cubs finished 2nd, not tied for first.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"We always weight all games equally unless we don't."

lolz

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams change over the course of a season. Braves/Phillies played 12 times in the First 1 1/2 months of the season and then didnt play again until the last 2 weeks was 2 completely different teams when we played at end of year. I would hate for a game played in April to cost my team when it comes playoff time.

Exactly. The Cubs fan who started this thread is concerned that the Brewers are now better than the Cubs, the Cubs owned the Brewers back in April going 7-1 against them. Since April the Cubs have been 4-8 against the Brewers and have not won a series against them since April. Teams have the opportunity to improve through the season and is best to have the better teams playing good at playoff time to have an opportunity for home field advantage.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they went to a H2H tie breaker, the Dodgers are 12-6 against the Rockies this year and the Cubs are 11-8 against the Brewers.

My whole argument is that yes, even if you lose the game you make the WC, but for instance, the Dodgers were better than the Rockies in the majority of their matchups. Just because the Rockies beat them one day, that means the Dodgers have to play yet another play in game against the Cubs or Brewers? Like I said, makes for exciting TV, but doesn't make sense to me when it comes time to decide division champs, becuase that's not all that is being decided. You are also deciding who has home field throughout the entirety of the playoffs in the Cubs/Brewers game. This one game changes the entirety of the NL playoffs and makes it feel like the regular season matchups meant absolutely nothing.

The Cubs were 7-1 in April against the Brewers
The Cubs were 4-8 the rest of the season against the Brewers not winning a series since April.

In April the Cubs were better the rest of the season the Brewers were better. The Brewers were in first place from the beginning of the season until 7/12 so for roughly 3 1/2 months then the Cubs were in first place from 7/12 until it was tied up again on 9/30 so their reign on first place was 2 1/2 months. From May through the end of the season it appears the brewers were the better team and they ended up tied on the last day.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs were 4-8 the rest of the season against the Brewers not winning a series since April.

In April the Cubs were better the rest of the season the Brewers were better. The Brewers were in first place from the beginning of the season until 7/12 so for roughly 3 1/2 months then the Cubs were in first place from 7/12 until it was tied up again on 9/30 so their reign on first place was 2 1/2 months. From May through the end of the season it appears the brewers were the better team and they ended up tied on the last day.

I just don't agree with how the MLB does it's playoffs/tie breakers. NFL, NBA and NHL are able to do it just fine but MLB has to be different about it lol

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't agree with how the MLB does it's playoffs/tie breakers. NFL, NBA and NHL are able to do it just fine but MLB has to be different about it lol

You are aware that MLB is a different sport than NFL, NBA and NHL, right?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh. Don't sweat it too much. It's just whining from casual baseball fans who don't understand the 162-game season.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are aware that MLB is a different sport than NFL, NBA and NHL, right?
Yes. In mlb, one plays the division opponent NINETEEN times. So it lends itself even MORE than the other sports to h2h being a fair tie breaker.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. Don't sweat it too much. It's just whining from casual baseball fans who don't understand the 162-game season.

Or just constructive criticism from fans of the game who've watched the game religiously for over 20 years. No reason to belittle the suggestions of some because you don't agree with them.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. In mlb, one plays the division opponent NINETEEN times. So it lends itself even MORE than the other sports to h2h being a fair tie breaker.

False.

You're a casual Cubs fan. I get it, dude. Sorry they didn't win the division.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just constructive criticism from fans of the game who've watched the game religiously for over 20 years. No reason to belittle the suggestions of some because you don't agree with them.

Hardcore baseball fans stumping for fewer baseball games. Sure.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
False.

You're a casual Cubs fan. I get it, dude. Sorry they didn't win the division.
How is that false?
Playing an opponent nineteen times means h2h is an even MORE FAIR way to tie break than in a sport where you only play twice.

That’s not FALSE.

I’m betting I’ve been a cubs fan since before you were born.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More baseball, for most fans, is a good thing.

2 game 163's was cool AF.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardcore baseball fans stumping for fewer baseball games. Sure.

Fewer baseball games = Cancel out 1 tie breaker game and 2 wild card games.

Yeah, what a terrible baseball fan I am, huh? We disagree, simple as that, move on.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that false?
Playing an opponent nineteen times means h2h is an even MORE FAIR way to tie break than in a sport where you only play twice.

That’s not FALSE.

I’m betting I’ve been a cubs fan since before you were born.

You'd be an old mother fucker, dude.

They had equal fucking records. Cubs had a three game advantage vs Brewers, Brewers had a three game advantage over the rest of baseball. That's not enough to break a tie when this much is on the line.

If you've been an MLB fan for so long, you'd know that three games don't mean shit, that's why they play 162.