• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Division Tie: H2H?

Should season series winner settle a tie?

• Yes.

• No. Play game #163

Results are only viewable after voting.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teams play division rivals an odd-number of games.
Should the season series winner just be declared the division champ in case of a tie?

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When both teams were guaranteed to play a 5 game series definitely H2H....now with the 1 game WC, definitely a game 163.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When both teams were guaranteed to play a 5 game series definitely H2H....now with the 1 game WC, definitely a game 163.
Why? Theyve already played 19 games against each other. That’s definitely enough.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the season series has to mean something. Right now, it doesn't. The Dodgers could be winless against the Rockies in the regular season, but if they win this one game, they are the division champs? IDK, doesn't seem right to me. I say head to head matchups SHOULD decide the division champ.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Theyve already played 19 games against each other. That’s definitely enough.
Teams change over the course of a season. Braves/Phillies played 12 times in the First 1 1/2 months of the season and then didnt play again until the last 2 weeks was 2 completely different teams when we played at end of year. I would hate for a game played in April to cost my team when it comes playoff time.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the season series has to mean something. Right now, it doesn't. The Dodgers could be winless against the Rockies in the regular season, but if they win this one game, they are the division champs? IDK, doesn't seem right to me. I say head to head matchups SHOULD decide the division champ.
It did mean something, they got homefield for game 163

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It did mean something, they got homefield for game 163

Okay, so for example, the Braves win every matchup in the regular season against the Nationals, but tie at the end of the season. They play the tiebreaker and just because the Nationals were better than the Braves one night, that means they are the division champs? Home-field for 1 game is great and all but why are MLB rules so different from all other sports when it comes to a tiebreaker?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so for example, the Braves win every matchup in the regular season against the Nationals, but tie at the end of the season. They play the tiebreaker and just because the Nationals were better than the Braves one night, that means they are the division champs? Home-field for 1 game is great and all but why are MLB rules so different from all other sports when it comes to a tiebreaker?

Because baseball is different from the other sports. The randomness factor of who wins is part of the beauty.

From your example, if the Braves won every game against the Nationals, that would mean they won 19 fewer games against the rest of their schedules. The braves record over 143 games would be 19 games worse. 19!!!
Who is the better team?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because baseball is different from the other sports. The randomness factor of who wins is part of the beauty.

From your example, if the Braves won every game against the Nationals, that would mean they won 19 fewer games against the rest of their schedules. The braves record over 143 games would be 19 games worse. 19!!!
Who is the better team?

When deciding a division title, I don't think it should come down to a tiebreaking game. Yes, it makes for very exciting baseball, but I don't think it's the best decision for deciding a division title.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Translation: whatever gives my Cubbies the advantage is the position I'll take.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All that means is the one team was better head to head

Seeing as they are tied. It also means the other team is the best against the other 28 teams.

A tiebreaker would be fucking mental. Play a game and let the teams decide it.

The advantage in the season series let’s you play at home. That’s fair enough.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they went to a H2H tie breaker, the Dodgers are 12-6 against the Rockies this year and the Cubs are 11-8 against the Brewers.

My whole argument is that yes, even if you lose the game you make the WC, but for instance, the Dodgers were better than the Rockies in the majority of their matchups. Just because the Rockies beat them one day, that means the Dodgers have to play yet another play in game against the Cubs or Brewers? Like I said, makes for exciting TV, but doesn't make sense to me when it comes time to decide division champs, becuase that's not all that is being decided. You are also deciding who has home field throughout the entirety of the playoffs in the Cubs/Brewers game. This one game changes the entirety of the NL playoffs and makes it feel like the regular season matchups meant absolutely nothing.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that means is the one team was better head to head

Seeing as they are tied. It also means the other team is the best against the other 28 teams.

A tiebreaker would be fucking mental. Play a game and let the teams decide it.

The advantage in the season series let’s you play at home. That’s fair enough.

A tiebreaker would be mental in Baseball, but not in every other sport? Because the NHL, NFL and NBA are able to do a tiebreaker just fine without having to play an extra game. I personally think the MLB playoffs were better with just 1 WC team, but that might just be me.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they went to a H2H tie breaker, the Dodgers are 12-6 against the Rockies this year and the Cubs are 11-8 against the Brewers.

My whole argument is that yes, even if you lose the game you make the WC, but for instance, the Dodgers were better than the Rockies in the majority of their matchups. Just because the Rockies beat them one day, that means the Dodgers have to play yet another play in game against the Cubs or Brewers? Like I said, makes for exciting TV, but doesn't make sense to me when it comes time to decide division champs, becuase that's not all that is being decided. You are also deciding who has home field throughout the entirety of the playoffs in the Cubs/Brewers game. This one game changes the entirety of the NL playoffs and makes it feel like the regular season matchups meant absolutely nothing.

It means that MLB considers the whole season The idea is to have the best record for the entire season. Break a tie by playing not some made-up rule.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means that MLB considers the whole season The idea is to have the best record for the entire season. Break a tie by playing not some made-up rule.

Made up rule = Head to head W-L record. Not really that made up lol

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A tiebreaker would be mental in Baseball, but not in every other sport? Because the NHL, NFL and NBA are able to do a tiebreaker just fine without having to play an extra game. I personally think the MLB playoffs were better with just 1 WC team, but that might just be me.

Those teams are all in. Not forced to play a 1 game WC.

So yeah, not remotely comparable.

Shit, only football has the potential of even making you play an extra round(extremely unlikely).

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those teams are all in. Not forced to play a 1 game WC.

So yeah, not remotely comparable.

Shit, only football has the potential of even making you play an extra round(extremely unlikely).

Hence why I hate the addition of an extra WC team. The addition of a 2nd WC team was just to make more TV money. Can't hate MLB for that, that's a good business decision, but just doesn't work for me personally.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made up rule = Head to head W-L record. Not really that made up lol

It is still a made-up rule. In baseball, ties are broken on the field. Most wins for the season is the winner. It's a marathon. Not every game is played 100%. One of the things that differentiate baseball from football, hockey etc. Playoffs games are embedded into the fabric of baseball. "Shot heard round the world"

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good poll with the exception of no potato salad (or is that just for the political forum).

Best season series record takes it!!!