• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

didn't know moss had concussion problems?

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't agree with it personally, I think an argument can be made in the context in which he said it: impact. There was a hot moment there in his first few seasons when he was about as dangerous and game changing as I'd seen.

Would I agree with it in even that context? No, but I don't think it's CTscan-worthy stupid in that context, either.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah sorry, moss was an athletic freak who could out run and jump people. Jerry was a technical master, he wasn't the biggest or fastest but he still dominated everyone. A technical master impresses me more. That's why Jerry at 35 > Randy at 35. His technical mastery meant age took longer to catch up with him and who knows how much longer he could have resisted age if it wasn't for the injury he had to bounce back from.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine most GMs would select Rice over Moss.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly in their prime i would take owens over moss.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the career reception total and yards by Jerry Rice..........is simply mind boggling!

he got a little lucky landing in SF during GREAT seasons, but he also played when the NFL trend wasn't the forward passr. can't imagine anyone getting close to these numbers, even with the current passing trend?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the career reception total and yards by Jerry Rice..........is simply mind boggling!

he got a little lucky landing in SF during GREAT seasons, but he also played when the NFL trend wasn't the forward passr. can't imagine anyone getting close to these numbers, even with the current passing trend?

As long as Stafford is interested in yards and the Lions don't run much, I would think Calvin might have a shot if he doesn't let everything get to his head and stays healthy. I don't think he will beat it, just thinking that he hasn't talked a lot and is producing in an offense that likes to pass, sounds like a good combination. But there are very few that can stay healthy and if they do, some talk themselves out of the job. There just seems to be more players that look to replace older players, so CJ may get replaced earlier if he's immature in the future - or of course, if he dips in production despite the system and his apparent work ethic.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the current easy rules will make it easier. I'll never respect any player that does break them as much as i respect jerry though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
From the SB notes thread:

Randy Moss at 35: 434 Receiving yards.
Jerry Rice at age 36: 1,157 Receiving yards.

I wouldn't "live on numbers" if that were the case either. I'd look at the "impact," which Moss clearly made in a greater proportion. :rolleyes2:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Moss has done enough to earn a seat at the table for the GOAT WR. He'll just always lose to Rice because he never embraced the little things like blocking on running plays and running hard to draw coverage even when the play wasn't called for you... well, not early in his career. Moss didn't start doing that until he was with his 3rd team.

Moss was instantly the best player on his team, which pretty much never taught him the importance of being a good teammate. Rice was behind Montana and Lott for a long time in terms of ranking the 49ers best players on those mid-late-80s teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the current easy rules will make it easier. I'll never respect any player that does break them as much as i respect jerry though.

easier to pile on receiving stats? easier to get close to his records? easier to break his records?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said in other thread....this is way overblown. Dude's confident. I disagree with him.

Nuff said.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Of course players should be confident; but there's a difference between being confident and being delisional.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delusional is Dockett saying he's got a shot at McCarron's girlfriend. This is just cocky and brash.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I heard the comment is Randy is putting the glare of the lights on him. Say the most outlandish thing and that will draw attention away from anything else said during media day. Moss isn't gonna wither from all the attention or pressure that might distract younger players if they had a slip of the tongue.

Not probable, but possible.....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Moss has felt like he's been on thin ice ever since 2 seasons ago that he has to behave himself, but he's finally reverting to his old self because he's in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I heard the comment is Randy is putting the glare of the lights on him. Say the most outlandish thing and that will draw attention away from anything else said during media day. Moss isn't gonna wither from all the attention or pressure that might distract younger players if they had a slip of the tongue.

Not probable, but possible.....

Very interesting prespective tomikcon...

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easier to pile on receiving stats? easier to get close to his records? easier to break his records?

easier to pile on stats, which makes it easier to close in on his record. I don't think I'll ever say any of jerry's records will be easy to break though. even with the rules that favor passing so much more, Jerry's career records are pretty godly.

Who knows though, calvin johnson could keep up what he did this season for the rest of his career if these rules let him.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss is the most talented WR to ever play and if he had half the work ethic Rice had he might have been the best. But it's not even a close discussion for people to argue Moss is better.

People forget how great Rice was or dismiss him because he had 2 HOF QB's. But Rice's first 10 years are better in every way then Moss's first 10 years. Rice had 1 year where he avg over 20 yards a catch. Something Moss hasn't done.

But Moss has to say he's the greatest. All athletes of his caliber think they're the greatest.