• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant made brilliant catch. Cowboys hosed

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upon further review after re-watching NFL Primetime again last night before dinner.

Dez did catch that pass. Bad rule. As I said yesterday I think he should have simply come down with it. Let Murray take 2 or 3 cracks at punching it over, running off the clock. 2 pt conversion, ball back to GB with less than 3 minutes left. Defense still has tostop them but…. Possession of the ball was paramount.

But he entered Matrix mode.Where everything slows down for guys like him. Unlike us who think it can’t be done and could never begin to do it ourselves.

He goes up, corrals the ball, gets two hands clearly on it, shifts it to one hand as he’s coming down to get 2 feet down, gets the 3rd step to launch himself at the goal line, hits the ground with ball in control, ground causes the momentary loss of control.

He did things in hundredths of a second we can only dream about. Intentionally.

Like Neo dodging bullets.

Now I know what the rule says. But he clearly had the ball, clearly shifted it to one hand for the lunge. And if the 3rd step and the lunge are not a football move…..

We can’t comprehend being able to do all that.

There is no spoon....

Last edited by a moderator:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it ironic that the Cowboys lost thanks to the Calvin Johnson rule, you know the guy who still plays for the Detroit Lions who were robbed the week before! Enjoy it so much as a Giants fan to watch Dez cry and pout on the field yet again.

Yea, Odell never shows any emotion.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it ironic that the Cowboys lost thanks to the Calvin Johnson rule, you know the guy who still plays for the Detroit Lions who were robbed the week before! Enjoy it so much as a Giants fan to watch Dez cry and pout on the field yet again.

I guess you take what little bit of joy you can when you are occupying the basement of a division.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upon further review after re-watching NFL Primetime again last night before dinner.

Dez did catch that pass. Bad rule. As I said yesterday I think he should have simply come down with it. Let Murray take 2 or 3 cracks at punching it over, running off the clock. 2 pt conversion, ball back to GB with less than 3 minutes left. Defense still has tostop them but…. Possession of the ball was paramount.

But he entered Matrix mode.Where everything slows down for guys like him. Unlike us who think it can’t be done and could never begin to do it ourselves.

He goes up, corrals the ball, gets two hands clearly on it, shifts it to one hand as he’s coming down to get 2 feet down, gets the 3rd step to launch himself at the goal line, hits the ground with ball in control, ground causes the momentary loss of control.

He did things in hundredths of a second we can only dream about. Intentionally.

Like Neo dodging bullets.

Now I know what the rule says. But he clearly had the ball, clearly shifted it to one hand for the lunge. And if the 3rd step and the lunge are not a football move…..

We can’t comprehend being able to do all that.

There is no spoon....

Falling to the ground is not a football move.

The ball hit the ground and popped loose - therefore it wasn't a catch.

It was the right call.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falling to the ground is not a football move.

The ball hit the ground and popped loose - therefore it wasn't a catch.

It was the right call.

Taking three steps, moving the ball from one hand to another and securing it, then reaching out to break the goal line with said football held solid in said hand is a football move.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking three steps, moving the ball from one hand to another and securing it, then reaching out to break the goal line with said football held solid in said hand is a football move.

Just wondering if you really don't understand the rules of football or if your Cowboy Bias is getting in the way of seeing the play properly... Either way your team lost, and did NOT get screwed...

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you go to the ground with the ball, you can't loose possession of it.

Bryant did.

Ergo, not a catch.

And taking those steps while going to the ground doesn't count as a football move.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except that his momentum from the catch was causing him to go to the ground. Per the rules, any move made without establishing new momentum (i.e. not falling to the ground) results in any 'move' made while falling to be considered part of the act of catching the ball, and therefor by rule NOT a football move.

It's not complicated as the refs made it out to be...it wasn't a catch.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go to the ground with the ball, you can't loose possession of it.

Bryant did.

Ergo, not a catch.

And taking those steps while going to the ground doesn't count as a football move.

EXACTLY!

Everyone seems to gloss over this point. If Bryant jumps up to catch the ball, and in the process his momentum causes him to fall to the ground ANY movement within the momentum of falling will NOT be considered. Bryant must establish new momentum (in this case, regain upright position) before any additional move can be considered.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he caught the ball, but like somebody else said, I really dont give a fuq.

Nobody likes the karma police.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None of the "football moves" come into play until after he controls the ball while going to the ground.

If he wasn't going to the ground in the process of making the catch...totally different situation...2 steps, 3 steps, all valid.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering if you really don't understand the rules of football or if your Cowboy Bias is getting in the way of seeing the play properly... Either way your team lost, and did NOT get screwed...

a Giant fan ..the ultimate impartial observer for all things about the Dallas Cowboys.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three steps while falling is not taking three steps. His head level was going down the entire time he was in contact with the ball. That's falling to the ground by any definition. His third 'step' skipped off the turf before he took out a divot. That's fully out of control at that point.

The ball came out after contacting the ground while falling. He may have secured the ball in his hands during the fall, but he failed to control it through the contact with the ground.

The rule may suck, but that was not a catch according to the rule.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three steps while falling is not taking three steps. His head level was going down the entire time he was in contact with the ball. That's falling to the ground by any definition. His third 'step' skipped off the turf before he took out a divot. That's fully out of control at that point.

The ball came out after contacting the ground while falling. He may have secured the ball in his hands during the fall, but he failed to control it through the contact with the ground.

The rule may suck, but that was not a catch according to the rule.

I heard a funny quote today.

It was a catch in the entire universe except in the NFL.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing he managed to fall about five yards. Greatest fall ever. Not to mention managing to fall a full five yards with contact by the other player.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing he managed to fall about five yards. Greatest fall ever. Not to mention managing to fall a full five yards with contact by the other player.

Who was also falling and also fell at least 4yds.

You do get that he was running very very fast at the time he jumped to get the ball right? You don't just land on your feet with that kind of momentum.

His head was going down from the moment of contact with the ball. That's falling. His head never stayed level or moved back up like it would if he was making strides down field.

Pretty much everyone agrees the rule is stupid and it should have been a catch. Mostly only Dallas homers are saying it wasn't even a drop under the existing rules no one likes.

Follow the advice you all gave Lions fans after your game and let it go and move on. It wasn't a catch and no amount of attempted litigation up here will change that your teams season is over.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Read the damn rule...the contact has ZERO bearing on the play.

People are just making shit up at this point.

The fact of the matter is, per the rule, it was called correct. You can hate the rule, but to make any real changes to it would be to open the door for MORE problems, not less.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are people really crying about this? There's no problem with the rule either. Before they had it what was and wasn't a catch would change just about every time they ran into a situation like this. Like the receiver bringing it in and then it immediately getting knocked out. Some games it would be a turnover, some games it would be an incomplete pass. At least you get consistency with this.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is I don't feel there was enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. There is a case to be made that he had possession and made a football move. The replay does not show conclusive evidence that it was otherwise and so you are supposed to go with the call on the field.

There was a play during the game where the Packers receiver put his arms under the ball and falls on it and it is called a catch which is then challenged. In the replay you can clearly see the nose of the ball bounce off the ground twice but the refs still did not overturn the replay due to not enough evidence. I mean cmon. if there wasn't enough evidence to overturn that then there wasn't enough to overturn the Dez catch.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a play during the game where the Packers receiver put his arms under the ball and falls on it and it is called a catch which is then challenged. In the replay you can clearly see the nose of the ball bounce off the ground twice but the refs still did not overturn the replay due to not enough evidence. I mean cmon. if there wasn't enough evidence to overturn that then there wasn't enough to overturn the Dez catch.

I think they determined that his arms were under the ball and that he maintained control of the ball through the contact with the ground. The ground didn't cause the ball to shift or bounce out of his hands.