• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how to cover 'not fast' Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins describes how to cover 'not fast' Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant
cowboys-redskins-football.jpg

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant runs a pass route against Janoris Jenkins.
(ROGER STEINMAN/AP)
SETH WALDER
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, February 9, 2017, 1:30 PM

Janoris Jenkins is starting his 2017 smack talk early.

The Giants’ Pro Bowl cornerback has placed his target on NFC East rival Dez Bryant, taking a shot at Bryant’s game and his physical attributes.

“Everything got to be a double move to get him open because he’s not fast,” Jenkins told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas last week.

Jenkins can talk like that because he shut down Bryant last year. Twice. In his two games against the Giants, Bryant managed just two receptions for 18 yards, combined.

Giants' Janoris Jenkins trash-talks Packers' Nelson on game day

“My role when it comes to playing the Dallas Cowboys is to follow No. 88 wherever he goes. That’s my job,” Jenkins said. “I played better than he played.”

Jenkins, who noted he had been fooled by Bryant on a play in 2014 that resulted in a touchdown, said by watching film he could see the limited number of routes that Bryant ran and then anticipated them.

“Take away the slant and the dig, and when they get in 21 personnel and Dez is inside the number, you take away the corner post, he don’t have nothing else,” Jenkins said.

The cornerback actually went pretty in-depth describing what he anticipates from Bryant by studying the receiver’s tendencies.

“I take away the slant on 3 to 5 (or) 6. I take away the dig, from 10-15 yards to go on third down. Take away the fade. He ain’t got nothing,” Jenkins said. “I ain’t never seen him run no...slant-and-go. He might run the slant and go, but it might be a stutter and go. Ain’t no slant and go. Ain’t never seen him run no real post route.”

Despite insulting Bryant’s speed, Jenkins said the Cowboys receiver is not “overhyped.”

“It’s just understanding your opponent,” Jenkins said, adding that every receiver has their strengths and weaknesses.

“That’s his skill set anyways because he’s big. He’s not going to be that Odell Beckham, catch a slant go 90,” Jenkins said. “He’s going to catch the dig, body you up. Box you out. Catch the fade ball, keep it away form you out of bounds. That’s the type of receiver he is.”

Jenkins boasted that — apparently thanks to his film study — he lets receivers know that he knows what’s coming.

“I let everybody know,” Jenkins said. “You’re not going to catch this corner post on me, man. You’re not going to catch this dig on me, man.”

Jenkins had an exceptional year for the Giants and was selected to the Pro Bowl and as a second-team All-Pro.

Giants' Jenkins describes how to cover 'not fast' Dez Bryant

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Can't argue against him about him outplaying Dez. He had a great yr. I will just say Norman handled Dez well two yrs ago. Not so much this year. Only write checks your body can cash

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Keep talking and put the spotlight on shutting up the critics. If there is truth in what he said, it's on both Dez and Linehan to break from the mold. Throw some change-ups. Re-evaluate what you do, why you do it and how you're doing it.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins is a punk. Who cares what he has to say.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Keep talking and put the spotlight on shutting up the critics. If there is truth in what he said, it's on both Dez and Linehan to break from the mold. Throw some change-ups. Re-evaluate what you do, why you do it and how you're doing it.
I have an easy one to start with. Do you remember Dez ever going in motion? Ever?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with anything Jenkins said - he's right.

I think it's ProFootballFocus that keeps a separation stat for receivers, and Dez was in the bottom 5 of 65 qualified players. Dez needs good, confident QB play to be successful, because almost every throw will be contested.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though Dak & Dez struggled to set up a connection, I think it's fair to say that Dez has regressed.

One thing I noticed this year is that Dez was taken down instantly after every catch. I took a look at the numbers and they are horrible. 800 yards receiving with 142 yards after the catch.

Beasley had 381 with 833 yards receiving. Both Witten & Willams had more then Dez with less receiving yards.

It was not that long ago that all we heard was how hard it is to take Dez down because he is so strong. Well he better get back to that.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's ProFootballFocus that keeps a separation stat for receivers, and Dez was in the bottom 5 of 65 qualified players. Dez needs good, confident QB play to be successful, because almost every throw will be contested.
So true
A few of us have said this for years. Dez is great fighting for the ball and has off the charts athletic ability, but he's been a limited route runner from the start with little to no separation.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why I may lean towards colors thought of releasing him. 17 million. Do you realize that is more than Irvin made his entire career combined. Here is the deal though- if they release him- I hope he goes and signs with whatever team signs Romo. Romo makes him worth 17 mill or I should say a top 5 WR.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And before the facepalms and dislikes start - I'm not knocking Dak. I'm just saying Romo needs and relies on Dez more than Dak does

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And before the facepalms and dislikes start - I'm not knocking Dak. I'm just saying Romo needs and relies on Dez more than Dak does
It's hard to say with any certainty when Prescott has played one season. I do think the Cowboys over the years are at their best when a wide receiver is just a compliment and not the focal point.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But in the last game when it mattered most I think they both Dez & Dak walked away from that game with more respect for each other than before it started.

That could very pay dividends for many games to come. Will see.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in the last game when it mattered most I think they both Dez & Dak walked away from that game with more respect for each other than before it started.

That could very pay dividends for many games to come. Will see.

Maybe so. Then I just read what JJ supposedly said yesterday about the offense being built for Romo. Like I said in the other thread, he may be saying it to drive his Romo's price up. To say that though, 17 million going to WR that will catch 60-70 balls doesn't make much sense.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So true
A few of us have said this for years. Dez is great fighting for the ball and has off the charts athletic ability, but he's been a limited route runner from the start with little to no separation.

Yup.

That was the knock on Dez coming out of college - no separation, and limited route running ability. That hasn't changed much in his 7 seasons. Dez is one of the premier athletes in this league, but how much longer will that last? Another year or two? Maybe three? The guy is 28 now...

I will say that I noticed improvement in Dez's route running over the course of this season. Early on in the year you could tell Dak was not comfortable throwing the ball to Dez - their completion percentage together was pretty abysmal. Seemed like Dak just didn't trust Dez in those 1 on 1 back shoulder/jump ball situations that Romo and Dez would feast on. From week 6 on, I noticed Dak getting more comfortable every week throwing to Dez in coverage - their completion percentage started rising significantly. A lot of that probably has to do with Dak's maturation, but I feel some of that was due to Dez getting more separation on his route. He just seemed more open as the season went on. I don't know, maybe I am just seeing what I "wanted" to see in this instance?

The last several weeks of the season, and especially the playoff game, it really looked like Dak and Dez developed a nice connection. That playoff game was one of the best games Dez Bryant has turned in as a pro.

Last edited:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So enter John ross. I have been saying for years we need a burner to pair with Dez. You put ross in motion. Ross reminds me of deion with his speed and he is already a better route runner than dez.

As far as jenkin's: karma is a bitch. Dez still beat him for a 1st down and fumbled. The Cowboys still could have gone down the field and won that game. Jenkins needs to be chopped blocked

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

That was the knock on Dez coming out of college - no separation, and limited route running ability. That hasn't changed much in his 7 seasons. Dez is one of the premier athletes in this league, but how much longer will that last? Another year or two? Maybe three? The guy is 28 now...

I will say that I noticed improvement in Dez's route running over the course of this season. Early on in the year you could tell Dak was not comfortable throwing the ball to Dez - their completion percentage together was pretty abysmal. Seemed like Dak just didn't trust Dez in those 1 on 1 back shoulder/jump ball situations that Romo and Dez would feast on. From week 6 on, I noticed Dak getting more comfortable every week throwing to Dez in coverage - their completion percentage started rising significantly. A lot of that probably has to do with Dak's maturation, but I feel some of that was due to Dez getting more separation on his route. He just seemed more open as the season went on. I don't know, maybe I am just seeing what I "wanted" to see in this instance?

The last several weeks of the season, and especially the playoff game, it really looked like Dak and Dez developed a nice connection. That playoff game was one of the best games Dez Bryant has turned in as a pro.
That true. Dez is still the best in the red zone thoigh. Cowboys need to consider john ross. Ross is fast,plays fast,great hand's and runs great routes. The only reason ross may be there at 28 is he is only 5-10.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Ross won't be there when we are picking.

As for Bryant, I don't believe he is too expensive for what he brings.

Sometimes you need a guy who is just going to go up and get it. Their last game together shows he's still worth it and hopefully they can build upon it. Full summer together as well.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Ross won't be there when we are picking.

As for Bryant, I don't believe he is too expensive for what he brings.

Sometimes you need a guy who is just going to go up and get it. Their last game together shows he's still worth it and hopefully they can build upon it. Full summer together as well.

While another offensive weapon and a deep threat would be nice, I think I still prefer going all defense early and often in this years draft.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's probably because we don't have a speed WR on the opposite side of Dez. We need a 1a WR, who threatens defenses.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is Dez was huge for us in 2 big games this year. Overshadowed by Zeke in the Pittsburgh game but Dez made every big catch we needed him to. And then the 2nd half of the Green Bay game.

The numbers may not be there but when you're as close as the Boys are right now you can't get rid of a game changer to save a couple of bucks.