• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryant made brilliant catch. Cowboys hosed

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took 3 steps after securing the ball. Just a horrible call. Unlike all the cowboys haters I am not solely blaming the refs as the cowboys left too many opportunities on the field. I expect some kind of rule change as too what exactly is a foot ball move. If a defender knocked the ball out at the goal line it would have been ruled a fumble because he took. The packers obviously needed the refs assistance and you all will see why next week. The packers are going to be destroyed

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the same thing as the Calvin Johnson "catch." Correct call but horrible rule which needs to change.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know the rules anymore.

In my world, he caught that ball twice. But in my world, I don't really give a fuck either.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the correct call based on the rules. And I'm not sure that it should have been ruled a catch regardless. Those 3 steps were not in control

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everywhere else in life, I think that's a catch. In the NFL, we've gotten into over analyzing obvious plays and explaining why what we saw, isn't what we saw. I'm sure the league will look at the rule this off season, but I'm not holding my breath regarding a change, at least not yet. A better team will need to get screwed on a bigger play in a bigger game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, there was a very similar play in the Seahawks game. Earl Thomas had the interception but was ruled an incomplete because the ball moved when he hit the ground.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the correct call based on the rules. And I'm not sure that it should have been ruled a catch regardless. Those 3 steps were not in control

DaFuq?

So you obviously weren't watching?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DaFuq?

So you obviously weren't watching?

I was in fact watching. And everyone watching thought it was going to be overturned.

This is the way the rule is defined and interpreted. IF the ball moves when the ball hits the ground then it is not a completion. It is ALWAYS ruled that way. Just because you don't like the rule, doesn't change the rule.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, there was a very similar play in the Seahawks game. Earl Thomas had the interception but was ruled an incomplete because the ball moved when he hit the ground.

this is completely just my opinion, but Earl clearly didn't catch the ball, that ball hit the ground, he never had control. Dez caught the ball, had completely control, took 3 steps and went to stretch for the goaline and the ground caused the ball to pop up.

Either way, that was a catch but a bad rule.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it looked to me dez caught it......But hey,Detroit should have been in seattle.

So what comes around goes around. :nod:

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'completing the process' rule says:

"If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Did Dez not have complete control 'prior to the ball touching the ground' ?

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't take another week of this bullshit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in fact watching. And everyone watching thought it was going to be overturned.

This is the way the rule is defined and interpreted. IF the ball moves when the ball hits the ground then it is not a completion. It is ALWAYS ruled that way. Just because you don't like the rule, doesn't change the rule.

I don't have any idea how someone can understand the rule. He caught the ball, both feet, a knee and a forearm hit the ground while he's in possession, it's ruled a catch, then somehow it's overturned. If Im a Cowboys fan, I never let this die. I post on and on and on about it. (Providing me with great joy and entertainment.)

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just do away with instant replay ... it as supposed to "improve" the game, but to me, imho, it has made it worse. Yes, there was reason it was implemented, but in the long run, it has not improved anything ... and yes, as a Cowboys fan, I don't like it this week, but I truly didn't like it last either ... like I said, just mho.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony is not lost on Lions fans!

But the fact remains he took two steps after contact with the Packer Defender and even got his off hand down before the elbow and ball came down. At some point you have to say he has control. The biggest fact is they ruled the ball a catch on the field, the rest is judgement so how do you overturn the field call? I didn't see overwhelming evidence it could go either way.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any idea how someone can understand the rule. He caught the ball, both feet, a knee and a forearm hit the ground while he's in possession, it's ruled a catch, then somehow it's overturned. If Im a Cowboys fan, I never let this die. I post on and on and on about it. (Providing me with great joy and entertainment.)

He was falling to the ground when catching the football. When that happens body parts don't matter....he has to secure the ball thru the entire process. Something he clearly did not do when the ball hit the ground and moved.

The moment they showed the replay I knew it was going to get overturned.

Some of you need to watch more football. This has been the rules for quite a long time now and something they drone on endlessly about to fill air time during booth reviews.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is completely just my opinion, but Earl clearly didn't catch the ball, that ball hit the ground, he never had control. Dez caught the ball, had completely control, took 3 steps and went to stretch for the goaline and the ground caused the ball to pop up.

Either way, that was a catch but a bad rule.

To each their own. I thought that both situations were incompletions.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a catch.

The shame of it is, Dallas was destined for a Super Bowl win in AZ too.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some slight bobbling and when he reached out with the ball, it clearly hit the ground. When he rolled over, it popped up in the air and he caught it again in the endzone. So, it clearly came loose, but the question is whether or not he had possession or not prior to that. It's pretty close, but I'd assume the vast majority of unbiased fans would say he did have possession.

Cut to the chase: the cowboys benefited from a botched call the week prior and got hosed by one this week. These things happen. They had plenty of chances throughout the game though, so to blame the game on this one call is faulty.