• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2016 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit would have no leverage on a trade of those two packaged together. Outside of the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers....most teams could not afford the salary increase. And the Cubs and Dodgers have first baseman and no DH spot. Houston has money to spend, so does Texas....but working out a deal for two 34 year olds might not be their style. So Red Sox or Yankees? And I'm sure Boston would want the Tigers to pick up Sandoval's and/or Ramirez' contracts.
Nah...better off to trade them separately - if that's their path.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen this "suggestion" in a couple of articles recently. It proposes that Detroit package Verlander and Cabrera, in trade, to one of the 4 or 5 teams that could afford their contracts. Neither article gave an opinion of WHICH wealthy team would want or need these two aging and (soon to be) overpaid stars. Of course it was suggested that Detroit pick up some of the cash in a deal - and in return receive "several good prospects". [I think both authors were looking at their fantasy trade as mainly a salary dump for the Tigers.]

Personally....I imagine that any GM willing to take on contracts totaling over $300mil for two soon to be 34 year olds, would be replaced before a trade was completed. The Tigers would have to pick up at least a third of the money owed....and then, what is the point?
Taking VMart off our hands seems like a good reason to lose your job.

But taking JV and Miggy seems like a giant boost to any team. If it's an AL team, it's not even horrible in the long run. Miggy is gonna be Miggy for a long while. It's a huge amount of payroll to take on, but I can't think of any team adding that much talent in one trade, ever.

He's the only guy Id be pissed to see dealt. Zero chance any prospect replaces him. Maybe 5%, I guess, but not worth it.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has asked about Miggy. They are probably more interested in getting Encarnacion....but I could see Houston being a fit for the 1B soon to be DH, who will be 34 in 2017. I'd ask for their young uber-prospect Alex Bregman who could either be converted to CF or play 3B and move Castellanos to first. Detroit would probably have to throw in about $60-70 mil to get him and a lesser prospect or two.
If the Astros won't part with Bregman, to get Cabrera, then Detroit should seek 3 or 4 of Houston's 'Top 10 to 15' prospects.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has asked about Miggy. They are probably more interested in getting Encarnacion....but I could see Houston being a fit for the 1B soon to be DH, who will be 34 in 2017. I'd ask for their young uber-prospect Alex Bregman who could either be converted to CF or play 3B and move Castellanos to first. Detroit would probably have to throw in about $60-70 mil to get him and a lesser prospect or two.
If the Astros won't part with Bregman, to get Cabrera, then Detroit should seek 3 or 4 of Houston's 'Top 10 to 15' prospects.
You want one unproven kid for for one of the games best hitters and 60mil?

Little Ceasars filing for bankruptcy or something?

Dude is worth his contract on account of putting butts in seats if nothing else. (In Detroit, maybe not elsewhere. As he isn't 3/4 of the fanbase's favorite player anywhere else.)You trade your big ticket and the Tigers will start drawing fans at the rate they did from 03-05.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seven years at an average of over $30mil a year. He will be over 40 by the time his contract is up. Not many teams CAN take that on. IF Detroit wants to rebuild, they will have to make his CONTRACT swallowable

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is worth his contract on account of putting butts in seats if nothing else. (In Detroit, maybe not elsewhere. As he isn't 3/4 of the fanbase's favorite player anywhere else.)You trade your big ticket and the Tigers will start drawing fans at the rate they did from 03-05.

As I said earlier, it seems to me that Verlander is a more likely trading chip than Cabrera, for the reason you stated. Both put butts in seats, but for JV, it is only every 5th day. Cabrera is still the team's meal ticket. But it seems even that may not stop the Tigers from looking at offers.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose a Cabrera trade would be an admission that the club has waved the white flag for a few years. I understand the ''draw'' Miggy is...but winning is even a bigger draw. If Detroit can ''do a number'' on Houston and pick up 3 or 4 really good young players (at or very close to MLB ready), this might be the time to do it.
Like you said, trading Verlander might be a safer play, fan-wise. And with the shortage of any really good free agent starting pitching, a JV trade would make more sense.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that James Hoyt mentioned in the article, given our bullpen holes. 15.2 K/9 rate in Triple A and he can also get ground ball outs at a good rate.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said earlier, it seems to me that Verlander is a more likely trading chip than Cabrera, for the reason you stated. Both put butts in seats, but for JV, it is only every 5th day. Cabrera is still the team's meal ticket. But it seems even that may not stop the Tigers from looking at offers.
I don't blame them for looking.

If you get the same amount of talent you gave. (Nearly ten years ago.). Youd have to think about it.

Maybe Dombrowski gets crazy and unloads some of his stockpile of youth? Idk. But not for one guy.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors said Detroit has had inquiries about Anibal Sanchez and Mike Pelfrey. If I'm Avila, and another GM ask me about either of those two, my response would be, "Who do I make the check out too?" And. "I'll leave the amount blank and you can fill in any amount you want us to pay...and don't worry PizzaBoyII has lots of cash, so throw a little in for yourself."

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Fulmer officially named AL Rookie of the Year today. 26 of 30 first-place votes.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the rumor mill, Detroit is going to stockpile the NL West. JD going to the giants and Kinsler to the Dodgers. Hopefully the Rockies, Padres, and D'Backs are interested in Lowe, Sanchez, Pelfrey, and Moya.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the rumor mill, Detroit is going to stockpile the NL West. JD going to the giants and Kinsler to the Dodgers. Hopefully the Rockies, Padres, and D'Backs are interested in Lowe, Sanchez, Pelfrey, and Moya.
Serious Question:

Collins or Gose?

Which one is our best defensive outfielder next year?

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious Question:

Collins or Gose?

Which one is our best defensive outfielder next year?

Upton LF
JaCoby Jones CF
Moya RF

Collins 4th outfielder.....I guess Collins wins. (Gose won't be sitting on the same bench as Legendary Lloyd)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upton LF
JaCoby Jones CF
Moya RF

Collins 4th outfielder.....I guess Collins wins. (Gose won't be sitting on the same bench as Legendary Lloyd)
I want to think the same about Gose. But with them in cost cutting mode, a minimum salary guy with MLB expierience seems like a keeper.

Jones doesn't look capable of hitting .220 to me. Maybe he can play defense though.