• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2016 Thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Fulmer/Norris/Boyd....

What are you guys thinking/hoping for?

400innings?

425?

Collective ERA under 4?

Assuming Greene is out as s starter moving forward. But throw him in and that's young and cheap eating a lot of innings. Hopefully.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

400innings?

425?

Collective ERA under 4?

Assuming Greene is out as s starter moving forward. But throw him in and that's young and cheap eating a lot of innings. Hopefully.

Verlander/Fulmer/Zimmermann/Norris/Boyd(?)

Figuring somewhat of a leveling for Verlander and Fulmer, this won't be a "scary" rotation for opposing teams, unless Zimmermann returns to the form they expected for the cash they spent on him. Assuming that their rotation won't be backed by a good bullpen - again - the starters will depend on the offense getting them a win.
(What worries me is that Sanchez and Pelfrey are STILL their 'fallback' guys. Isn't the term: anal-retentive?)

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy great news...I am coming to Phoenix first week of May and the Tigers are there.....

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy great news...I am coming to Phoenix first week of May and the Tigers are there.....

I will have to keep that in mind. I live about 4 hours from Phoenix, but I do try and get to those series where Detroit plays AZ....which has not been for awhile. Most of the time I catch them in Anaheim which isn't much farther away from me.

PS....hopefully you will still be able to cross the border come May. :L

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

400innings?

425?

Collective ERA under 4?

I just hope Norris and Zimmermann are healthy most of the year. We really need both of them. Zimmermann was cruising before the groin injury, and was never the same after. Norris showed me a LOT when he actually pitched, which wasn't often enough.

Anything we get out of a #5 guy like Boyd is a bonus. I tend to agree with Iffy on Fulmer ... a definite leveling off now that the league has seen him, but let's hope it's not a regression year.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB.com interview with GM Al Avila:

"Frankly, ownership has not told me to dump salary. Basically they asked me: If you can make a good baseball trade, that’s great.” Those comments cast doubt on the Tigers’ ability to trade of one of their veterans before the season begins.....

Sounds like the Tiger GM is fearful of making any kind of move. He commented that he has not even been close to any deal...

Avila, concerning trade talks: “I had many conversations through the winter, but nothing to the point where I felt we were going to make a trade. I thought there was going to be opportunity. That never really developed to that point where I was close to calling ownership."

Out of touch ownership? A GM without much backbone or trade savvy? Throw in a mediocre manager, no prospects, and an aging ballclub......All that negativity in me is just itching to get out. At every home game, fans should get a lucky rabbits foot to rub.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila, concerning trade talks: “I had many conversations through the winter, but nothing to the point where I felt we were going to make a trade. I thought there was going to be opportunity. That never really developed to that point where I was close to calling ownership."

Out of touch ownership? A GM without much backbone or trade savvy? Throw in a mediocre manager, no prospects, and an aging ballclub......All that negativity in me is just itching to get out. At every home game, fans should get a lucky rabbits foot to rub.

Not many trades of big-name players across all of MLB, and especially few involving position players. The biggest deals so far involved pitchers (Sale, Gallardo, Wade Davis). The bulk of the other trades I saw when skimming the lists are for younger players who still have a few years of team control left.

This is why I think Justin Verlander and J.D. Martinez will start the season in Detroit. No one wants Verlander's fat contract until/unless he is pitching well into July, and a team in the playoff hunt sees him as a needed piece for a championship run. In that case, said team will eat a mediocre 2019 season at $30 million for a WS run now.

Similarly, no one wants J.D. at the start of a season, knowing he will be an FA at the end of the year. If he has a mediocre 2017, they'd feel like they got jobbed in the trade, and if he has a great year, you now have to pony up a multi-year deal north of $100 million to keep him. However, he'd have appeal as a rent-a-player for a contending team in July.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite evident they wanted to much for what they were trading. No one wants to absorb the Miggy or JV contracts unless it's for mid-level prospects at best. Best to stay put until the trade deadline as Howie suggested.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have invited RP Joe Jimenez to major league camp. Blurb from CBSsports.com is below. I had to chuckle at the one comment from the writer (in boldface):

"Joe Jimenez received an invitation to major league camp this spring. It is a testament to how bad the Tigers’ farm system is that Jimenez, a reliever, is rated their third best prospect for (fantasy) dynasty leagues. Of course, it also says something about Jimenez's future role, as many evaluators think he is the closer in waiting in Detroit. He notched a 1.51 ERA, 0.80 WHIP and 78:17 K:BB in 53.2 innings across three levels last season, and has 15.2 innings of experience at Triple-A, so he is awfully close to being big league ready. Francisco Rodriguez is under contract for one more season, but if he gets hurt or gets traded, Jimenez, along with Bruce Rondon, would be in the mix to take over in the ninth inning."

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite evident they wanted to much for what they were trading. No one wants to absorb the Miggy or JV contracts unless it's for mid-level prospects at best. Best to stay put until the trade deadline as Howie suggested.

This is what I gather (between the lines) from listening to Al Avila talk. JV is not off-limits, nor is JD or even Miggy. But the gap between what Avila thinks we should get in return and what teams are actually offering is too large.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila needs to step it up a little and find a CF and a good relief pitcher. How???? I don't know.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila needs to step it up a little and find a CF and a good relief pitcher. How???? I don't know.

Acquiring setup relievers via free agency has worked so well for the Tigers the past few years, why not keep trying. :dhd:

We went into 2016 thinking Justin Wilson and Mark Lowe were locked in as our 7th-8th inning guys, and the most reliable relievers all season wound up being Alex Wilson and Kyle Ryan. Yikes!

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acquiring setup relievers via free agency has worked so well for the Tigers the past few years, why not keep trying. :dhd:

We went into 2016 thinking Justin Wilson and Mark Lowe were locked in as our 7th-8th inning guys, and the most reliable relievers all season wound up being Alex Wilson and Kyle Ryan. Yikes!

I think it's time to put 2016 behind us and start a 2017 thread.