• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2016 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too would hate to see Verlander go...and I doubt any group of prospects (from the few teams that could afford JV's contract) would counter the PR loss the Tiger's would feel. But, like stated above....it is worth a listen. (Would Dodgers part with Julio Urias? Doubt it.) LOL. And I am sure JV, his agent, and "Jiggly Jugs", will work with Detroit, and any other team interested, to make a trade easy, economical, and worth-while for Detroit, so they can get Verlander out of the Motor City and to a bigger media outlet.

"Changes are coming". Well....I still see Avila and Asmus, so I take that statement for what it is worth. (PR...double-talk). JD is probably headed elsewhere. Maybe Iglesias. They will cut some dead wood (Lowe, Pelfrey) that will still cost them money. Perhaps this is just a way of Avila yelling, "I have a plan, and it might take a couple of years." So they don't fire his butt two months into the season when the team is 10 games under .500.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully they don't trade JV for prospects.

If it's the Dodgers, send Iggy with him and get Seager.

"Changes are coming." - Big Al

I think JV can get better haul than just prospects.

Yes, Avila said at his presser yesterday that the Tigers need to get "younger and leaner". By "leaner", I'm guessing he means payroll and not "we have too many fat guys". (Though the latter isn't entirely untrue.)

:heh:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila was also asked if any player was "untouchable" in trade talks, and he gave no names.

They will cut some dead wood (Lowe, Pelfrey) that will still cost them money.

A caller on the radio yesterday suggested the Tigers do what the Marlins did in the Cabrera trade, when we were also stuck with Dontrelle Willis and his fat contract. Package Verlander and Pelfrey .... say "you can't take one without the other and his salary." Oh, I wish it was that simple.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JV can get better haul than just prospects.

Yes, Avila said at his presser yesterday that the Tigers need to get "younger and leaner". By "leaner", I'm guessing he means payroll and not "we have too many fat guys". (Though the latter isn't entirely untrue.)

:heh:
If by leaner he means forcing somebody to take Victor along with another player, I'm on board.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be behind a "major change" in personnel...just don't see how it can be done without any big league ready prospects in the system, or without just ''dumping'' a few large contracts. (Not just Lowe, but Sanchez and even VMart.) VMart has value...but you either get a team to take his contract (leaner?) and get nothing in return...or you swallow a big chunk of the contract in order to get a prospect.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously.....how far would Detroit have gotten - with THEIR bullpen - if they had somehow squeaked into the postseason? I don't see a lot of 'big offense' games so far this October. I see more games hinging on good pitching, especially from good (and deep) bullpens.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously.....how far would Detroit have gotten - with THEIR bullpen - if they had somehow squeaked into the postseason? I don't see a lot of 'big offense' games so far this October. I see more games hinging on good pitching, especially from good (and deep) bullpens.
Divisional Series max.

Would've been fun to see Fulmer go against Cleveland that Monday and JV the next. But it really wouldn't have mattered after that.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a fantasy idea, if the Tigers want to try for "leaner". Detroit sends Verlander and Sanchez, to the Yankees for 3 good prospects (Aaron Judge, Mason Williams, and 1 more), catcher Austin Romine, and relief pitcher Tyler Clippard AND they pay NY for A-Rod's 2017 contract year - $21mil.

Tigers dump a total of $107mil, and come out roughly $80mil ahead. Romine a good back up for McCann, Clippard a veteran bullpen arm (one year left on contract) and Judge and Williams are MUCH BETTER options to go to if Tigers trade RF JD Martinez.

MLB TradeRumors suggested Collins and Moya would be in line for the job if JD is traded. Yuck

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEGENDARY LLOYD - IS BACK!

Selected as new hitting coach, replacing Joyner. It will also make it easier for the front office to replace Ausmus at the first sign of trouble. :) (Remember that when you yell "Fire Ausmus")

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEGENDARY LLOYD - IS BACK!

Selected as new hitting coach, replacing Joyner. It will also make it easier for the front office to replace Ausmus at the first sign of trouble. :) (Remember that when you yell "Fire Ausmus")
Ausmus is gonna love his second MLB gig.

When he actually has a say on who is part of his staff.

This shit is an absolute joke.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recent reports are saying Detroit tried to trade Upton during the season and that it is likely that they will try to move him this winter. PLEASE explain to me why Avila still has a job!

I hate saying, "I told ya so"....I get that creepy Vice smell in my nose if I do. But I just never liked the idea of signing Upton, and the contract they gave him made it worse. The signing even turned me off on Kirk Gibson a little when he "signed off" on getting Upton. I know, you have to be a company man at times...but I hope that was for the PR department's notes and his feelings (from his AZ days) had not changed on the guy.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recent reports are saying Detroit tried to trade Upton during the season and that it is likely that they will try to move him this winter. PLEASE explain to me why Avila still has a job!

I hate saying, "I told ya so"....I get that creepy Vice smell in my nose if I do. But I just never liked the idea of signing Upton, and the contract they gave him made it worse. The signing even turned me off on Kirk Gibson a little when he "signed off" on getting Upton. I know, you have to be a company man at times...but I hope that was for the PR department's notes and his feelings (from his AZ days) had not changed on the guy.
I think Avila is a joke also and now the owners are going to trust him to actually rebuilt through trades and the draft? Yeah right.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leyland is running the franchise imo.

Which isn't any better.

I am sure Leyland does some "consulting work" for Detroit....I just think it is more on field related than front office. It would be interesting to learn how much input "Special Assts to the GM" - Kaline, Horton, Trammell, and Leyland - have in decision making. I'm think guys like Bream, Chadd, and Westoff(?) who Avila promoted right away might be the guys who have a lot of input. AND...of course...whomever plays the Jonah Hill role for the Tigers. (Moneyball reference.)
:)

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smitty....you should be pissed! Western beats a major powerhouse like EMU by 2 touchdown - and does not move up even one spot in the rankings!

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been leaning towards taking the Cubs to win the WS.. The more bullshit that I hear from some of the cleveland fans on the Hoop makes me say Lets go CUBBIES!!!.. I was kinda proud that another AL Central team made it to the WS. I'm not cheering for the Cubs just cause some fuckheads ran their mouths :nono:. I want to hear what the idiots have to say when the Cubs win the WS. It's going to happen :nod:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hate to see the Cub's tradition of "Lovable Losers" come to an end. I recall that when the Red Sox finally won a World Series...their fans became MORE obnoxious than the Yankee fans they hated and derided for decades. I suspect that will happen this time as well, if the Cubs win. (Which I expect).

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I little rambling here....

Many know of my dislike for Justin Upton and the displeasure I have felt since his arrival in Detroit. Off the top of my head...I cannot think of more than 2 or 3 other large contracts in baseball that may harder to get rid of than Upton's. However, my mania to rid Detroit of this clown has gone as far as to even consider this....Detroit picks up $19mil of Upton's $22.1mil that he is owed in 2017. In return, the other team picks up the last 4 years of Upton's contract ($88.5mil total) and gambles on him opting out after 2017. (LOL). In compensation, Detroit is given any able bodied outfielder that has even a slight chance to play at the major league level in 2017.
(Oh...why pick up $19mil? It sounds better than $20mil! To be honest...if pushed, I'd pay the entire $22.1mil. and throw in Tyler Collins to carry Upton's luggage during the year.)