• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question -- is what they would get for those two in trade (I tend to think it won't be as much as fans think) equal or better than the use of those two in trying to get to the World Series? I can't see ANY team giving up the farm for one years use of a DH. And while I would guess that Scherzer could land the team two very good prospects....a team intent of obtaining him is not likely to part with its closer or a starting position player.

You are missing the point. Trading Max is about fiscal positioning. He would only be traded for prospects. His '14 salary would then be used to sign mid-tier, short-term guys in free agency to help the team win the WS. The end result in two years is a fiscal wash, (hopefully) a WS Title, better young talent. Win, win.

VMart, is only a tradeable asset because Miggy shouldn't be playing 3B anymore. If we could trade him (VM) for a decent fielding, solid hitting, 3B it would be great for the Tigers even if the new asset's contributions were less than VMart.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing the point. Trading Max is about fiscal positioning. He would only be traded for prospects. His '14 salary would then be used to sign mid-tier, short-term guys in free agency to help the team win the WS. The end result in two years is a fiscal wash, (hopefully) a WS Title, better young talent. Win, win.

VMart, is only a tradeable asset because Miggy shouldn't be playing 3B anymore. If we could trade him (VM) for a decent fielding, solid hitting, 3B it would be great for the Tigers even if the new asset's contributions were less than VMart.

jalopy - I agree with you. BUT....my question is based on short term goals. I agree, Scherzer won't be resigned, but what we get for him, will that be better than having HIM start every 5 games? Ditto with VMart. All I am doing is pointed out a different view. In the long run (2015 and beyond) trading these two makes sense. But for 2014....I can see keeping them and going for broke.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy is not a 3B. He is a DH waiting to happen. If he wasn't on the Tigers....he'd be 1B, at best, possibly a DH.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the Tigers will be drafting Devon Gardner (he of the quick foot work) to play 3B. He is getting plenty of practice backing up, moving left and right, and diving on the ground. Not sure about his arm however. :)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jalopy - I agree with you. BUT....my question is based on short term goals. I agree, Scherzer won't be resigned, but what we get for him, will that be better than having HIM start every 5 games? Ditto with VMart. All I am doing is pointed out a different view. In the long run (2015 and beyond) trading these two makes sense. But for 2014....I can see keeping them and going for broke.

Really, the question is whether the Tigers can replace Max on the roster with someone of his ability for similar $$$'s in '14. It is unlikely but the team should be willing to take that risk IF the prospects ('15++) have enough potential to offset that risk. The hope is that Max's replacement(s) outperforms him AND yields long term benefits.
So, to answer your final statement, the team can still go for broke without actually risk going broke.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the Tigers will be drafting Devon Gardner (he of the quick foot work) to play 3B. He is getting plenty of practice backing up, moving left and right, and diving on the ground. Not sure about his arm however. :)

And the Marriage is consummated....Jalopy and Iffy (Ronnie) have finally met.....Both have the same agenda.......This should be comic gold because neither wants to refute the others opinion.......On you mark, Get set, GO!!!!!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max is unlikely to duplicate his '13 season and will never be worth more. Worst time to sign him to a long term deal and best time to trade him.

For once i agree with you, ive been saying this all along though. He 100% needs to be traded.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ilitch wants that series ring and the guy may not have many seasons left in him. He may sacrifice what Max can get in trade for one more season with him. I can see him going all in next season. I also believe their is no way Detroit can sign him to a long term deal. 100 million in 4 players salary may work in New York but it doesn't in Detroit.

But everyone is working under the assumption that max will be as good as 2013. He will more likely be back to normal max. Good but not elite. The tigers can win without him and can stock their bullpen and pick up prospects for max, or they can just lose everything by not trading him

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gvsu, an opportunity to win a WS is not without value, even if it is only for one year. In order to give Max up, value must be received.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys think bullpen help and prospects are a viable trade for Scherzer.... Well.... I think you're selling him short. And my track record on Scherzer speaks for itself. (Solid bullpens don't need to be traded for)

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys think bullpen help and prospects are a viable trade for Scherzer.... Well.... I think you're selling him short. And my track record on Scherzer speaks for itself. (Solid bullpens don't need to be traded for)

I agree....you don't need to trade Max for relief pitchers. I'd bet that most offers for Scherzer will include pitching prospects. Maybe there is a team that will trade a starting position player for him...but I think that would be a long shot. Relief pitchers can be hard thru free agency or trading Porcello, Smyly, or even Andy Dirks. Please remember....no team wants to weaken themselves just to get Scherzer for one year.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
muzz....do you think UM will be able to win one more game to get to 7-5? 6-6 might not get them a bowl of any kind.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
muzz....do you think UM will be able to win one more game to get to 7-5? 6-6 might not get them a bowl of any kind.

Tough question....But I think Michigan will be OK....How about Ron English and Eastern Michigan or would you not care to talk about that.

I can't wait to finally find out why he was fired other then a Woman AD telling the public that he said something offensive.:laugh3:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm at it, Why don't you tell the rest of the Tigers board why your not able to tell me that on the Wolverines board......

That's what trolling will get ya buddy, keep it up and I will make you change names again.:laugh3:

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm at it, Why don't you tell the rest of the Tigers board why your not able to tell me that on the Wolverines board......

That's what trolling will get ya buddy, keep it up and I will make you change names again.:laugh3:

That is exactly what I was trying to tell your buddy over on the AL Central Smack board. Seems like there are just too many timid souls that ''run to mommie'' every time they don't like something or someone. This place has an ignore feature, but I guess some people feel they need big brother to come and help them out of every jam they get into. Must be those 'big' government types that want big brother to do everything for them. :)

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...I see the Wolverines play Northwestern next week. That will be their big game. As for a bowl game.....I guess they will have to imagine their OSU game is their real bowl game....although I fear for the lives of UM offensive lineman in that game.

Now, their is the Motor City Bowl (now to be called the Fear for Your Life Bowl). Maybe UM can play the 3rd place team from the MAC. Ypsilanti, MI is also thinking of starting the Ron English Motherfuckers Bowl....Wolverines could be favorites in a UM/EMU clash.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what I was trying to tell your buddy over on the AL Central Smack board. Seems like there are just too many timid souls that ''run to mommie'' every time they don't like something or someone. This place has an ignore feature, but I guess some people feel they need big brother to come and help them out of every jam they get into. Must be those 'big' government types that want big brother to do everything for them. :)

You are the one that needs to keep changing screen names. It has nothing to do with big brother.....Look in the mirror and you will find the problem. You can have 20 scree names and if they keep getting banned that should tell you something....

I might let you stick around if you create your next screen name "RABURN SUCKS!".....Give me that name and I will let you stick around for awhile.:laugh3:

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you go musser..telling it like it is to little Ronnie(iffy)
you hit the nail on its head.

snide remarks at the wovlerines....that's his whole game

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can you say scherzer wont have another great year?

you see him losing speed on that fast ball?
the guy has learned to pitch. his stuff is so good.
I can see him winning 20 next year.