• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the moment, it's a Dirks/Castellanos platoon. (Tuiasosopo was claimed off waivers by the D-backs.) A lot may depend on if there is a Max Scherzer trade. The Tigers may request a top-tier reliever and a left fielder for Max, though I'd think the greater likelihood is reliever/young starter.
I don't think he is in the Inge or 2012 Raburn category for putridness. He had a subpar year, especially hitting with RISP. We shall see next spring (assuming he sticks) if he can be contribute again as a part-timer like he did in 2011.

It is past practice for Tiger fans to dump on part-time players, or ones who did not turn out to be as good as predicted (or hoped). If Kelly leaves....I think Dirks is primed to be that kind of guy - to Tiger fans. Leyland had his Inge....Ausmus his Dirks?????

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raburn still sucks!!!!!! Therefore JL putting him in the game at 3 different positions everyday made JL suck.....He was too stupid to figure it out.......

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep blabbing muzz......no one cares if your life is predicated on hate.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirks will be just fine.
he is young and will contribute.

Why trade V Mart? he has only 1 more year on his contract.
we need his bat. if we trade him. we will be searching for another bat... it don't make sense.
keep V Mart 1 more year. last year he was still recovering from injurys.he should be even better this year...a contract year...duh

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirks will be just fine.
he is young and will contribute.

Why trade V Mart? he has only 1 more year on his contract.
we need his bat. if we trade him. we will be searching for another bat... it don't make sense.

keep V Mart 1 more year. last year he was still recovering from injurys.he should be even better this year...a contract year...duh

Problem is this....the Tigers have 3 very good hitters that can only play two positions (1B, DH). Two of those three cannot or would not be traded. The Tigers are going to have to address 3B at some point and if moving VMart now can help that or another position, I am all for it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Max and Vmart for Price? Even up?

Tampas not going to be interested in adding big money contracts. Iggy, Nicky C, Ricky P, Smyly, Holiday, Devon Travis and McCann would probably be the type of players DD could package if Price were targeted. Not that he would improve the situation of high priced starters. (13 months younger than Scherzer, but his innings have decreased in back to back seasons)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with those moves in principal. VMart trade would relieve the glut of DHs on the team and Max trade frees up future cash. BUT....I hesitate to pull the trigger on either trade. For one, neither will bring that much in trade...one year rentals. Also, I would hate to break up the rotation they have. At playoff time....it is the ultimate weapon. I would have to be over-whelmed to trade Scherzer, and I'm not sure I would be You could always fall back to keeping him and settling for a high draft pick after the season.

As for VMart....a few months ago, I'd have swapped him for a decent middle relief pitcher. But he was the best hitter they had down the stretch. Moving him makes all the sense in the world...if they pick up a decent 3B. I would just hate to see him go...fearing a possible down turn from Cabrera and/or Fielder. (Now I know ''someone here'' would like to see VMart traded to fill holes, AND some guy named Jhonny resigned to play 3B)
:noidea:

A high draft pick? Fuck that. If max isnt traded before he becomes a free agent then DD needs to pack his bags, because that would be a colossal mistake.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burf I thought it was you a few weeks ago that didnt want to blow the team up and now you are advocating trading two of the tigers better players..?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A high draft pick? Fuck that. If max isnt traded before he becomes a free agent then DD needs to pack his bags, because that would be a colossal mistake.

I mostly agree with you but it takes two to make the trade. It could turn out that the added potential of a WS with Max is worth more than DD is offered.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What would be wrong if we keep Scherzer, he wins 18+ games in2014 and Tigers are in the post-season again. Are you saying they should trade Scherzer near the trade deadline? Would seem kind of odd to trade one of your best players BEFORE the post season?
:L

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be wrong if we keep Scherzer, he wins 18+ games in2014 and Tigers are in the post-season again. Are you saying they should trade Scherzer near the trade deadline? Would seem kind of odd to trade one of your best players BEFORE the post season?
:L

Max is unlikely to duplicate his '13 season and will never be worth more. Worst time to sign him to a long term deal and best time to trade him.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max is unlikely to duplicate his '13 season and will never be worth more. Worst time to sign him to a long term deal and best time to trade him.

If management thinks it is a win now situation, I can see them wanting to keep Scherzer. I have no problem with the Tigers trading him now....but would understand keeping him for the season. HOWEVER....if Max slips back to being a .500 pitcher, I am sure the fans will crucify DD for not trading him before the season starts.

DD is almost in a no win situation with Scherzer. If he trades him now, like any trade, he is open to criticism if the trade does not help Detroit. If he keeps him, Max could revert, and DD gets shot for that. Even if Scherzer does well in a Detroit uniform in 2014....some will be upset that he wasn't traded, when Detroit settles for a draft pick. With Leyland gone....I am sure a lot of fans are shifting their sites to DD this coming year. S.O.P.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree with you but it takes two to make the trade. It could turn out that the added potential of a WS with Max is worth more than DD is offered.

Ilitch wants that series ring and the guy may not have many seasons left in him. He may sacrifice what Max can get in trade for one more season with him. I can see him going all in next season. I also believe their is no way Detroit can sign him to a long term deal. 100 million in 4 players salary may work in New York but it doesn't in Detroit.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ilitch wants that series ring and the guy may not have many seasons left in him. He may sacrifice what Max can get in trade for one more season with him. I can see him going all in next season. I also believe their is no way Detroit can sign him to a long term deal. 100 million in 4 players salary may work in New York but it doesn't in Detroit.

That might be one of the quickest self-contradictions I have seen in a while.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burf I thought it was you a few weeks ago that didnt want to blow the team up and now you are advocating trading two of the tigers better players..?
I don't see this as blowing up the team, but if Max and Vmart aren't going to be around both are hot properties and could bring a good return.....

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see this as blowing up the team, but if Max and Vmart aren't going to be around both are hot properties and could bring a good return.....

The question -- is what they would get for those two in trade (I tend to think it won't be as much as fans think) equal or better than the use of those two in trying to get to the World Series? I can't see ANY team giving up the farm for one years use of a DH. And while I would guess that Scherzer could land the team two very good prospects....a team intent of obtaining him is not likely to part with its closer or a starting position player.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any one notice the clash of those two college football powerhouses..Western and Eastern Michigan? (both 1-8 starting Saturday) I guess EMU took ex-coach English's profanity laced tirade to heart....they won in over-time. Coach English....a god damn, motherfucking goodbye to you, ya shitty bastard. lol