• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy was inter view as he accepted a award. think it was for Best player of the AL. voted on by his peers in the game.

He said surgery went well. and should be back to his greatness by spring training.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy was inter view as he accepted a award. think it was for Best player of the AL. voted on by his peers in the game.

He said surgery went well. and should be back to his greatness by spring training.

doug....did you hear the part of his interview where Miggy promised that his farts won't stink? He also said that if the Tigers want him to pay attention to coaches, they need to pay him more? He also suggested that they hire Beyonce to coach third, he promises to watch her and hopes she ''waves him in'' a lot.

:yahoo:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yahoo reports tigers very interested in Nathan as a closer.
Tiger fans remember ol joe Nathan... he owned us for his whole career.

Nathan was great for Texas last year, but gotta caution -- he will be 39 in December and has had injury problems before. His 1.39 ERA last year was his best since 2008. Would not give more than a 2-year deal.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no team should ever give a closer more than a 2 year deal. see the jose valverde deal.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds that Max is still with the team come Spring Training? I would put it add 60/40 against with the Nats being the most likely.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oo Ronnie that's funny.
about miggy going through a stop sign by brookens..now he doesn't listen to any coach?

maybe he should have hurt himself with a sudden stop on a late call on brookens part?

I rather give the repeat MVP props for even playing as hurt as he was.
glad the major surgery went well. he should be able to hoist that brand new MVP award.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree with that. First, where does he play? Do you put him in his natural position RF, and move Hunter to LF? Second, his K/BB ratio was very good in '13 but that seems like a statistical aberration compared to previous seasons. Third, how does this affect AJ. He is obviously not an ideal lead-off hitter but where do you move him to? Seventh? I like Choo, I just don't think the $$$'s it takes to sign him will be worth it.

Depends on how much he costs, I agree. He plays in the outfield, right or left doesnt matter and not a big concern. He definitely bats first or second and AJ definitely drops way down. One of the hugest issues with the tigers last year was how bad their leadoff hitter was. Choo is a five tool player, they arent available often.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer still a question mark if Rondon's improvement was a fluke. But first, I'd make a run at two good situational lefties who are on the market: Javier Lopez or Boone Logan. Even if Smyly returns to the pen, we need more LHP bullpen help.

Yeah we shall see, it looks like veras and benoit wont be back. When scherzer is traded hopefully at least one solid relief pitcher is involved in the package.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to trade scherzer.

DD said picking up a closer will be a piece of cake. nothing to it..
so then..why do we have to trade scherzer to get 1???

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt matter if you want him traded or not he will be traded and if hes not are you prepared for him to walk at the end of next season?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to trade scherzer.

DD said picking up a closer will be a piece of cake. nothing to it..
so then..why do we have to trade scherzer to get 1???

I those decisions are mutually exclusive. Max will go if someone (Nationals) offers the Tigers an acceptable package of high-end prospects. Price will be most coveted because he is two years away from FA.

A legit closer is a must. Rondon has to be viewed as a bonus if he is a solid contributor. I would love to see Benoit, Rondon and a new closer all on staff.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how much he costs, I agree. He plays in the outfield, right or left doesnt matter and not a big concern. He definitely bats first or second and AJ definitely drops way down. One of the hugest issues with the tigers last year was how bad their leadoff hitter was. Choo is a five tool player, they arent available often.

I agree with everything except that Choo is a five tool player. He has an right field arm but the defense of a DH. I wouldn't upset the apple cart by moving Hunter to left. I think Choo is highly unlikely at this point.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Vmart and Max....move Miggy back to 1st and DH Prince....fill in the holes with what we get from the deals.....there seemed to be a big push for Nick C in Sept. to be in LF, is he ready?....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Vmart and Max....move Miggy back to 1st and DH Prince....fill in the holes with what we get from the deals.....there seemed to be a big push for Nick C in Sept. to be in LF, is he ready?....
As much as I would hate to lose the versatility of VMart's bat, I think it makes sense. It does re-open the problem of 3B and there isn't a lot out there that excites me. I think they ride it out as is with VMart for another year and let the situation play itself out.

I would rather count on Nick C than Rondon but I wouldn't discount the possibility of Nick C getting dealt as well.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with those moves in principal. VMart trade would relieve the glut of DHs on the team and Max trade frees up future cash. BUT....I hesitate to pull the trigger on either trade. For one, neither will bring that much in trade...one year rentals. Also, I would hate to break up the rotation they have. At playoff time....it is the ultimate weapon. I would have to be over-whelmed to trade Scherzer, and I'm not sure I would be You could always fall back to keeping him and settling for a high draft pick after the season.

As for VMart....a few months ago, I'd have swapped him for a decent middle relief pitcher. But he was the best hitter they had down the stretch. Moving him makes all the sense in the world...if they pick up a decent 3B. I would just hate to see him go...fearing a possible down turn from Cabrera and/or Fielder. (Now I know ''someone here'' would like to see VMart traded to fill holes, AND some guy named Jhonny resigned to play 3B)
:noidea:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Mandy Jerks be in left field next year?

At the moment, it's a Dirks/Castellanos platoon. (Tuiasosopo was claimed off waivers by the D-backs.) A lot may depend on if there is a Max Scherzer trade. The Tigers may request a top-tier reliever and a left fielder for Max, though I'd think the greater likelihood is reliever/young starter.

Is Andy Dirks the new Raburn/Inge/Kelly/Santiago?

I don't think he is in the Inge or 2012 Raburn category for putridness. He had a subpar year, especially hitting with RISP. We shall see next spring (assuming he sticks) if he can be contribute again as a part-timer like he did in 2011.