• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Delete Thursday Night Games Next Season

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality of play is pathetic........It promotes more injuries.....especially concussions.....
.....players are tired
TV ratings aren't good......too much football

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality of play is pathetic........It promotes more injuries.....especially concussions.....
.....players are tired

Just don't watch them!
Why should they deprive the rest of us because you don't like it?
I don't like golf. I don't watch it. Simple!

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you could treat it like the #14 game on Sunday... and not watch it.

I don't mind it, It's a handful of games in this year. Last year it wasn't until like Week 7 when we had the SF/Sea blowout that we got a real bad game. Gronk going nuts on Pitt, the last second comeback by Denver on KC was one of the better games of the year, Baltimore going OT to beat Pitt, Buffalo and Chicago with some amazing goal line stands to preserve wins, Jax stopping Mariota on the final drive, Aaron Rodgers hail mary, Chargers Raiders end and OT... Some really great games in there last year.

It's been a rough month since that Jets/Bills shootout that was amazing, but not ready to strike it off for 4 meh games that you wouldn't otherwise have the option of watching.

As for it promoting more injuries, not sure... It gives a shorter week and a longer week. I know the NFL reported 5.2 injuries per game on TNF and 5.3 on Sun/Mon/Sat games a few years ago but haven't seen any actual facts on that since.

Ratings are interesting this year, we will see if that continues. Figure last week it was down, but still managed to be the 5th watched show that week (4 spots higher than the debate). So hard to say the ratings aren't good. You can say this weeks game is down 5% from the same game last year, (MLB playoff game down 52% on the same day this year vs. last), but the only way to call the ratings poor is to say they aren't the best they have been (were the best broadcast and cable show last night, on broadcast tv there was 1 show yesterday that wasn't at least tripled by TNF).

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't watch them!

I would like to see them increase the active roster enough to rotate players on short weeks and give guys injured more time to heal.....I think that would be a step in the right direction for higher quality games and less chance of serious injury....Maybe have a rule that players had to have a minimum amount of days physical rest before they could play or practice again, at least the high impact players anyway..
I don't know how the numbers would work out but I think if players had more time to recoup, the injury bug would be injured severely....

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think quality would improve if they limited Thursday night games to those teams coming off a bye week. So, cut them out (other than week 1) and only play them in October/November. Be nice if there were byes for teams playing on Thanksgiving the week before, but not really possible, and let's face it that everyone wants football on Thanksgiving.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think quality would improve if they limited Thursday night games to those teams coming off a bye week. So, cut them out (other than week 1) and only play them in October/November. Be nice if there were byes for teams playing on Thanksgiving the week before, but not really possible, and let's face it that everyone wants football on Thanksgiving.
Thursday's should be for Mid Major College Football. And high school JV games.

The short weeks are bad for the game.

Id be fine with the Lions giving up Turkey Day games too. I got better shit to do than listen to Phil Simms gayness.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't watch them!
He gave reasons other than not liking it.

Your response was worse than Golf.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because of Thanksgiving

The COWBOYS have been known to play three games in eleven days......that's not fair
.........in 2014..the COWBOYS actually played a Sunday,Thursday (Thanksgiving),Thursday schedule

They should highlight great match ups and rotate DIFFERENT teams in for Thanksgiving

It is a cumulative effect on a player.......but those who are not athletes, wouldn't understand or care

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....players are tired

I agree the quality of play sucks but there's been absolutely nothing that shows it promotes more injuries/concussions. That is a lie

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Than how is the Bears going to get any tv time

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because of Thanksgiving

The COWBOYS have been known to play three games in eleven days......that's not fair
.........in 2014..the COWBOYS actually played a Sunday,Thursday (Thanksgiving),Thursday schedule

They should highlight great match ups and rotate DIFFERENT teams in for Thanksgiving

It is a cumulative effect on a player.......but those who are not athletes, wouldn't understand or care

Don't you think people would love to see other teams besides the Boys and Lions on Thanksgiving ?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His response was perfect ad far as I'm concerned, because I personally like TNF.

So do I, however the teams playing TNF should be teams coming of a bye week. That would be the ideal way to schedule those games.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do I, however the teams playing TNF should be teams coming of a bye week. That would be the ideal way to schedule those games.

No argument, but its not possible with out deleting early and late season TNF games. There's two sides to the coin though, while teams especially road teams have to play TNF on very short rest they get extra rest for the next game. One limit I'd like to see is those playing on Thursday most play at home EARLY the week prior. Dallas once played the Sunday NIGHT game in NY then turned around and played TNF. They didn't get back to Dallas until 6AM Monday.

Last edited:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like NFL ball on Sun Mon and Thurs and College on Thurs Fri and Sat, this week we had a Wed game so only 1 day w/o Football. Now if they happen to be a shitty match up or teams, can choose not to watch

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll watch NFL whenever they put it on. I tend to think overall Thursday is a bit too much every week, maybe only after Thanksgiving, but I'll still watch.

The Turkey Day hosts should remain as is out of tradition. So few traditions in the NFL.

And for the record, they could have college football on 7 days a week and I wouldn't watch it, ever.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think people would love to see other teams besides the Boys and Lions on Thanksgiving ?

This 1000 times over, lol.

That said, I agree that at least during the bye week schedule, the Thursday games should by filled with teams coming off a bye. Early in the year the impact isn't as great on health, as the players are still relatively fresh from the offseason. If that scheduling is impossible, then efforts should be made to make the circumstances as equal as possible (no long distance travel on a short week, for example). Expanding rosters for Thursday games is a good idea as well.

Any league that keeps trying to prove it cares about the players' well-being should see that this is an obvious issue, certainly more than from which yard line you kick off.