• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensively Speaking

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original post was a rhetoric. Do you now get it? People will often outweigh "leadership" or "heart of the team" for impact players that are essential to the unit. Patrick Willis, while awesome, is relatively easier to replace than, say, an Aldon Smith that immediately impacts the unit's success and scheme (back drop coverage with little blitzing therefore requiring an elite pass rusher).

Patrick Willis is the best at every facet of MLBness. Aldon is great at pass rushing and untested at coverage/run stopping. We haven't even seen him have to deal with a double-team yet. I don't think there's any doubt that Willis is more important at this point.

But the great thing is - who gives a shit. They both play for us along with a number of other awesome players. This D is so good we can't even agree which dude in particular is the best.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patrick Willis is the best at every facet of MLBness. Aldon is great at pass rushing and untested at coverage/run stopping. We haven't even seen him have to deal with a double-team yet. I don't think there's any doubt that Willis is more important at this point.

But the great thing is - who gives a shit. They both play for us along with a number of other awesome players. This D is so good we can't even agree which dude in particular is the best.

LMAO!!! That right there should be the thread ender! Perfectly stated, Hate!!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Goldson = The weakest link in our defense?
PFF = Zero Credibility!

Dashon Goldson: 6 INTs
Dashon Goldson: 1 PD

That's right, Goldson has prevented completions on 7 passes thrown in his direction.

What are opposing QBs ratings when throwing at him? 92

I love Goldson, but let's not pretend he's been fantastic.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That's right, Goldson has prevented completions on 7 passes thrown in his direction.

A 92 rating even with 6 INTs? And Niners are the lowest scoring D in the NFL? How is this even possible?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A 92 rating even with 6 INTs? And Niners are the lowest scoring D in the NFL? How is this even possible?

I don't know. I suppose by only breaking up 7 passes (INTs plus PD) and as a safety he's likely in coverage for a lot of down field throws which result in big yardage when completed.

Also, not all the interceptions for safeties come when they are in primary coverage. The one against Ben wasn't his coverage. It was a deflection that found it's way to him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goldson seems to always go for those big hits. i think he'd be a better strong safety, he doesn't center field all that well.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
goldson seems to always go for those big hits. i think he'd be a better strong safety, he doesn't center field all that well.

He seems much improved over last year though. He had a pick vs Washington that was negated by penalty which showed great range, timing and hands. He is really hitting people as well.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In all fairness, neither of those stats account for the hard hits that prevent receptions.. or cause fumbles.

BTW, I'm not pretending he is great, but his 6 INTs are pretty big. Turnovers are always pretty big for a defense.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In all fairness, neither of those stats account for the hard hits that prevent receptions.. or cause fumbles.

BTW, I'm not pretending he is great, but his 6 INTs are pretty big. Turnovers are always pretty big for a defense.

So DeAngelo Hall last year. . . one of the best CBs in the league?

For a noted Packer hater, Charles Woodson leads the league in INTs this year. Last year Tramon Williams was in a tie for 5th (with the 3rd most in the league).

What does this say about their play?

Also, Goldson has one forced fumble, and big hits that force incompletions are included in PD.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To follow on the Goldson thing - a big intangible for this defensive unit is dishing out crushing hits at every level, and staying fundamentally sound. Usually offenses wear down a defense, but this defense seems to wear down offenses like the Det and Pitts games.

They'll bend but punish teams all the way down the field before locking it down in the redzone. The constant hits don't show up much on the stat sheet but become a major factor by the 4th quarter.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO!!! That right there should be the thread ender! Perfectly stated, Hate!!

Hey shit I thought I ended this thread! :attention:

Somehow it's turned into a rather odd discussion of how Goldson is or is not our 8th best defender on the team or something.

I haven't seen alot of blown coverage from anyone this year so... yeah I'll take the 6 picks and hard hits and the "He blows a lot of coverage" which I seem to have missed.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't seen alot of blown coverage from anyone this year so... yeah I'll take the 6 picks and hard hits and the "He blows a lot of coverage" which I seem to have missed.

I was wondering the same thing - what blown coverages have I missed? I think he's playing the ball rather well. He still takes bad angles at times, and I can't fault him for trying to get that pick vs. AZ (just a great play by Fitz), I just think overall he's exceeded my expectations for him and played rather well.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So DeAngelo Hall last year. . . one of the best CBs in the league?

For a noted Packer hater, Charles Woodson leads the league in INTs this year. Last year Tramon Williams was in a tie for 5th (with the 3rd most in the league).

What does this say about their play?

Also, Goldson has one forced fumble, and big hits that force incompletions are included in PD.

It says, to me, that even though they mostly suck... they somewhat make up for it with interceptions. Just like Dashon.

It isn't ideal of course, because his inability to cover also gives up TDs... but at least there is one bright side to his play.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since were talking about Goldson. Whats everyone think about him as far as the offseason? Do you wanna sign him or let him walk? Rumor had it we offered him a 5yr 25 million and he rejected it. Would you do something along those lines, or cheaper? Or possibly look for an upgrade?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd give him the exact same offer and if he rejects it good luck. We'll miss the highlight reel hits, but adapt with a better cover FS who won't bring the lumber. We could live with Reggie Smith if needed, but it would be a downgrade.