• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Backfield

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jonte Green and Aaron Hester are out of the running.

Look for either guy to be strong practice squad options.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow- the Vikings released Derek Cox, which is pretty surprising. His career sure has taken a nose-dive after looking like an up-and-coming young CB just a few years ago.

Wonder if he'd be worth a look for the last week of the preseason here just to see if he can be salvaged?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo, is our CB's looking like Mathis, Slay, Bentley, Lawson, Greenwood and Vaughn ?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo, is our CB's looking like Mathis, Slay, Bentley, Lawson, Greenwood and Vaughn ?

Rumor is they'll arrive on the field every game in a clown car and pile out to 'Somewhere over the rainbow' blasting over the stadium speakers.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Jonte Green is eligible to sign with the Detroit Lions’ practice squad after the Aug. 30 cut-down date to 53 players, per the new practice squad rules, as long as another team doesn’t sign him.

Rookie CB Nevin Lawson is currently 4th on CB depth chart over Greenwood, Vaughn and rookie Mohammed Seisay. I'd expect Seisay to be placed on P.S. should he clear waivers.

Safety DeJon Gomes to IR...

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/li...ter-trim/16e1dbb5-6cc8-4692-89bd-3b42655dca45

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawson is tough. He's small but ferocious. By all accounts he's played well on special teams too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LP...^^^ Lawson was ranked 2nd best special teams player, according to PFF, thru the 1st 2 games. I like the physical play from him but the refs will absolutely Love Lawson come reg season play, JMO. I do believe he's a good addition to the CB corps....

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently it appears the DB's are fairley leshoure set, albeit an injury or some shocker.

CB's Slay, Mathis, Bentley, Lawson, Greenwood and Vaughn (I think Seisay goes to PS to develop)
S's Quin, Ihedigbo, Carey..... Couplin and Abdul-Quddus battling for the final spot

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LP...^^^ Lawson was ranked 2nd best special teams player, according to PFF, thru the 1st 2 games. I like the physical play from him but the refs will absolutely Love Lawson come reg season play, JMO. I do believe he's a good addition to the CB corps....

He looked a little better in coverage too. Thats what I would be most concerned with. We have pretty good special teams coverage already. We need a defensive back.

Green, looked a little slower than I remember him although he seemed to play better in this last one.

Safeties have played well although Couplin made a couple mistakes. I would be OK keeping 5.

I find it intertesting the ways they find to stash players on IR.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently it appears the DB's are fairley leshoure set, albeit an injury or some shocker.

CB's Slay, Mathis, Bentley, Lawson, Greenwood and Vaughn (I think Seisay goes to PS to develop)
S's Quin, Ihedigbo, Carey..... Couplin and Abdul-Quddus battling for the final spot

Might go 5 safeties depending on how things shake out elsewhere. Both A-Q and Couplin have been solid special teams performers through the first three preseason games.

It sounds like the coaches were impressed with Seisay's play given how he was used at Nebraska.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP... Maybe you just want Vaughn gone no matter how it happens, hence, Seisay in and Vaughn shown the door. Seisay is big, physical.

BTW, Vaughn just doesn't excite me much with his past play. I just figured keeping a Vet like Vaughn (who has some NFL experience) and putting Seisay on the PS gives Seisay the needed time to grow and develop. CB's are the most often injured player position so it would be good to keep him, Vaughn that is.

Seisay is from Nebraska and many in here wanted his teammate Stanley Jean-Baptiste. I haven't heard one damn thing about Baptiste's play for N.O. YET, outside of most of their starting CB's were injured.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaulus_2 said:
Might go 5 safeties depending on how things shake out elsewhere. Both A-Q and Couplin have been solid special teams performers through the first three preseason games.

It sounds like the coaches were impressed with Seisay's play given how he was used at Nebraska.

I could totally get on board with this plan. Quddus hasn't played that poorly, IMO.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP... Maybe you just want Vaughn gone no matter how it happens, hence, Seisay in and Vaughn shown the door. Seisay is big, physical.

BTW, Vaughn just doesn't excite me much with his past play. I just figured keeping a Vet like Vaughn (who has some NFL experience) and putting Seisay on the PS gives Seisay the needed time to grow and develop. CB's are the most often injured player position so it would be good to keep him, Vaughn that is.

Seisay is from Nebraska and many in here wanted his teammate Stanley Jean-Baptiste. I haven't heard one damn thing about Baptiste's play for N.O. YET, outside of most of their starting CB's were injured.

I definitely think Seisay is practice-squad bound. I'd b pretty shocked if he makes the active roster.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couplin probably gets snatched if we put him on the PS. He's played better than Quddus too, in my opinion, and has more upside. If we can groom him to take over for Ihedigbo, we found ourselves a gem.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
black_magic said:
Couplin probably gets snatched if we put him on the PS. He's played better than Quddus too, in my opinion, and has more upside. If we can groom him to take over for Ihedigbo, we found ourselves a gem.

:10: :agree: prolly true... I would hate it too if it happened (he was put on waivers and got snatched up)..

look at the UDFA's over the last 2 years that might just pan out.... Fauria, Waddle, Cornelius Lucas, Couplin maybe Seisay or Winn

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly what I was thinking. Dude looks like Digs clone.

5 safeties is not out of the question because Carey is so versatile he can play anywhere (maybe even LB). He is not being groomed to replace or backup anyone or position.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carey might be in danger of missing out on a roster spot. He didn't look good the first two games, and then got hurt on ST last week.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got the axe...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats always a posibility when there are other guys playing well. All of a sudden IR is not necessary. Just the way it goes. We are getting away from that nickel we ran last year too so he may become expendable in a hurry.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is that we're expected to sign a defensive back once cuts are finalized?

Who do you guys think we might add?

3 names that jump out front for me are rookie 5th rounder Shaquille Richardson, whom the Steelers cut today, 2014 4th rounder Leon McFadden, cut by the Browns, or veteran Terrell Thomas, cut by the Seahawks.