• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Backfield

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safeties
This may be one of our biggest weaknesses on the team, OR it may be one of the biggest surprises on the team. I'm not to worried about the safety positions, as Glover Quin and Ihedigbo are proven players, and their backups are decent as well. Isa Abdul-Quddus brings great size at 220 pounds, though he figures to make more of a contribution on special teams. DeJon Gomes started eight games for Washington in 2011 and '12, and when he did play safety, he did not have any noticable miscues. Don Carey is also a pretty solid rotational player as well.

Cornerbacks
The problem that we all see is our CBs. I think the pivotal point for our CBs is Chris Greenwood. This guys is a physical freak. Has great size and speed, and for the little amount of time we saw him last yr, he was decent. I pray that he has taken a leap forward in his development and can be the Rashean Mathis of last year. He has all the physical tools to do so.
Darius Slay also had an up and down year, but showed flashes as well. He finished 2013 strongly and is a player who could blossom in his second season. If he can fully develop, we could potentially have two BIG and FAST CB's playing on the outside for years to come.
Bill Bentley is a natural slot CB, but really hasn't shown much. He was considered a ball hawk in college, but hasn't shown that in his time in the league. If he can stay away from the penalties and do his job, he should be adequate. He faces a real challenge from rookie Nevin Lawson, who is also a natural slot corner.
If the fourth-round pick from Utah State can clean up his hands an issue that also plagues Bentley, he could quickly step in and take over the nickel role. Also, not sure why so many people are hating on the Lawson pick, yea he's small, BUT HE'S A NICKEL CORNER. There are two types of CBs, the outside CB's who are suppose to be Tall and Fast, and then there are nickel corners, who's size doesn't really matter, but they must be reliable tacklers, and must clean up the outside sweeps, as well as cover the middle. No size is really necessary for that. This guy is the most physical corner in the draft, something that all great nickel corners have. Please just give the kid a chance.
Jonte Green also fills the outside CB role, and when he has played, he has produced, and i'm not sure why he only played when their were injuries last year. He needs further development, but I think he has been our best CB in that draft class.
Veterans Chris Houston and Rashean Mathis, the regular starters a year ago, both return. However, Houston is battling a toe injury that might need surgery, as reported by Pro Football Talk. I'm going into the season thinking that Houston is going to miss the whole season, just for discussion's sake. Mathis will be 34 when the season starts, and he returns to Detroit only after not finding any offers as a free agent after the season. PFF graded him out as the best corner on the roster a year ago, but the team values him as much for his veteran-mentor role as it does his on-field contributions. Like I stated before, I'm praying that Chris Greenwood can fill the role that Mathis played last year. All in all, we have potentially a very talented and young stable of CB's, who if they reach their potential could wreak havoc for years to come.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention Jerome Cauplin in the safeties section. He's and UDFA outta William and Mary. Very very physical, and very very gifted. Has an 81 inch vertical, and has 41 inch hands. Just watch his youtube highlights, and form the first couple plays, you can tell that this is the type of physical specimen that the Lions need in the Safety corps. I can almost guarantee that he makes the team, and he could very well be our Ladrian Waddle of last year

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really hoping Greenwood can surprisingly emerge into that #2 CB position so we dont have to depend on Mathis or Houston. Even if Houston can play, I perfer him at the nickel spot. We need two athletic guys on the outside to challenge the WRs within the division. This is the last opportunity for guys like Bentley, Green, and a few others.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is the most physical corner in the draft, something that all great nickel corners have. Please just give the kid a chance.

The most physical corner? Here are the weaknesses they listed on the NFL website for Lawson:

Press technique needs refinement. Too often allows free release. Clutching, grabbing and incurring flags have been issues in the past. Ball skills are a work in progress. Leaves some production on the field. Inconsistent run supporter. Struggled to contain USC WR Marqise Lee.

I'm guessing that with 19 other cornerbacks drafted ahead of him and a projected draft grade of 7th round - priority FA -- He isn't the most physical CB in the draft.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching Lawson play some I wouldn't be surprised if he gets transitioned to strong safety, or at least a hybrid nickel CB/safety/in-the-box role. The kid hits, he jams, he fights through blocks, he's good in traffic.

Imo he's a better fit in that role than as a pure cover man...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention Jerome Cauplin in the safeties section. He's and UDFA outta William and Mary. Very very physical, and very very gifted. Has an 81 inch vertical, and has 41 inch hands. Just watch his youtube highlights, and form the first couple plays, you can tell that this is the type of physical specimen that the Lions need in the Safety corps. I can almost guarantee that he makes the team, and he could very well be our Ladrian Waddle of last year

Nobody else noticed this? Move him to WR asap, he'll be the jump ball champion of the world! Even Stafford couldn't over-throw that. He could jump clean over DBs while catching passes... never gonna drop a pass, either... lol... :suds:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hehe....81 inch Vertical? I'd really love to see that.....

Despite rainy, 32-degree weather conditions, Couplin ran his 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds, performed 18 reps on the 225-pound bench press, ran the short shuttle in 4.41 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds.
Couplin also posted a vertical jump of 41.5 inches and a broad jump of 11 feet and two inches. Those numbers would’ve tied for second and first overall, respectively, at the Combine where players enjoyed the cozy, indoor confines of Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lawson makes the team and gets tome then Greenwood and Green are bust! I think Lawson is practice squad material. The reports I heard is he is small and they question if he is physical enough to support the run. The 8 CBs that went earlier in the round really drained the position.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the tape of his hand against west West Virginia. You'll see a guy with slow instincts and no urgency on the field.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody else noticed this? Move him to WR asap, he'll be the jump ball champion of the world! Even Stafford couldn't over-throw that. He could jump clean over DBs while catching passes... never gonna drop a pass, either... lol... :suds:

Wanna bet? Never underestimate Staffords ability to overthrow.:nod:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do realize DB's are just WR who can not catch

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hehe....81 inch Vertical? I'd really love to see that.....

Despite rainy, 32-degree weather conditions, Couplin ran his 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds, performed 18 reps on the 225-pound bench press, ran the short shuttle in 4.41 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds.
Couplin also posted a vertical jump of 41.5 inches and a broad jump of 11 feet and two inches. Those numbers would’ve tied for second and first overall, respectively, at the Combine where players enjoyed the cozy, indoor confines of Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis

It was the 41 inch hands I liked. ALthough I knew what he meant...

giant%20hands%201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lawson makes the team and gets tome then Greenwood and Green are bust! I think Lawson is practice squad material. The reports I heard is he is small and they question if he is physical enough to support the run. The 8 CBs that went earlier in the round really drained the position.

I said this after the draft. Was told a 4th rounder will not see the PS he will get snatched....When you are the 19th CB drafted, highly doubt it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand by my statement. I've never heard of a 4th rounder making it through waivers.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most GMs would never cut a 4th rounder because it says "I failed big time."

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you have to cut a guy to get him on the PS.