• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defending Mitch Trubisky. Is there still HOPE?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine we had just picked Watson. I'll give Pace a pass on Mahomes since no one saw him being THIS good. But Watson was coming off a national title, beating the juggernaut that was Alabama. You couldn't have asked for a better pedigree there.

Ya know...You just never know...Vince Young won the whole thing and he was meh. It's always a crapshoot with QB's. I'm just sad 2/3 of the top ones hit and ours was not one of the 2. What makes it really bad is that we traded up...That implies and extra level of confidence over and above all the other quarterbacks...so that is where we truly blew it. It's bad enough to blow a 2 pick...but to give ups more in addition to just that pick...Brutal.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trubisky has a higher rating than Terry Bradshaw.

No shit. Bradshaw's career rating was 70.9. He played in the 70's. Every QB with a pulse in 2019 has a higher QB rating than that. Bradshaw was an all-pro and won an MVP in 1978 with an 84.7 QB Rating (2nd highest in the NFL). Nowadays if you have an 84.7 rating - you might be benched.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shows such flashes of brilliance, then moments of idiocy. Sometime he feels the pressure great and moves out to make a throw or run, and sometimes he panics and goes down like a sack of potatoes. Sometimes he's right on with this throws with great footwork and sometimes he gets sloppy, misses throws and ends up getting them picked. He's so all over the place.

For better or worse, Mitch is going to be here this year and likely next. Look at guys like Winston and Mariota: they've got basically 4 years of real playing time before they're firmly benched. The only thing that might change things is this defense, although they've looked thoroughly human the last 3 games especially this last game when we even controlled TOP.

He shows such flashes of brilliance, then moments of idiocy.

I really don't see any flashes of brilliance. I see flashes of "competence" that we mistake for "brilliance" because we're so deprived of it at this particular position. The things you are describing aren't brilliant. They're just... what you're supposed to do. Feeling pressure and moving away from it. That's the expectation. It's not brilliant.

Flashes of brilliance would be something like what Watson did in that TD throw vs Oakland yesterday. Mitch has never made a play like that.

For better or worse, Mitch is going to be here this year and likely next. Look at guys like Winston and Mariota: they've got basically 4 years of real playing time before they're firmly benched.

I disagree. Those two guys were never this glaringly bad. They're clearly flawed QB's... but Mariota at least tended to operate at a baseline/functional level. Winston reminds me a ton of Cutler. Big body, big arm, athletic for his size and can make all of the throws. Good touch on his deep ball. But his decision making breaks down and his footwork fails him. This is tempting for coaches because you keep thinking that you can clean up the mistakes.

Both of those guys had clear positives and they would at least have games/stretches where they put points on the scoreboard. Mitch doesn't. Mitch does not do anything well. All of the things an NFL QB is supposed to do. Mitch does the opposite. I fail to see a single positive in Mitch's game. He is hopeless.

Even when everything goes perfectly for Mitch. He still makes a complete fool of himself. AT LEAST once per week; Mitch has a clean pocket, a great play dialed up and a wide open receiver downfield. And he fires the ball 10 feet over his head. You can't coach around that. That shit costs you games. It cost us yesterday's game. If Mitch just hits a basic downfield, wide open throw to Gabriel yesterday. We go up 22-10 and are attempting a two point conversion with less than 10 minutes left. The game is over. Instead, he misses it and then fumbles the next play.

If we just had pedestrian QB play. Guys who could hit THOSE throws and avoid THOSE pivotal mistakes. We're probably 5-2 right now. At least 5-2. Possibly 6-1.

So long, Mitch. I think we are witnessing his final days in a Bears uniform. Somebody else will be here next year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit. Bradshaw's career rating was 70.9. He played in the 70's. Every QB with a pulse in 2019 has a higher QB rating than that. Bradshaw was an all-pro and won an MVP in 1978 with an 84.7 QB Rating (2nd highest in the NFL). Nowadays if you have an 84.7 rating - you might be benched.

I was guessing it was around 72.0. I was pretty close! I wonder if Trubisky's passer rating is higher than Otto Graham.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked it up. Otto Graham career passer rating is 86.6. Trubisky is currently at 86.4, but he could leapfrog Otto Graham next week. Trubisky did do pretty well last season statistically.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Otto Graham should be GOAT for having that passer rating playing in the 1940's and 1950's.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked it up. Otto Graham career passer rating is 86.6. Trubisky is currently at 86.4, but he could leapfrog Otto Graham next week. Trubisky did do pretty well last season statistically.

Eh. A quarter of his TD passes came in one game vs TB. Half came in 3 combined games vs TB, DET and GB.

He was a poor QB outside of that.