• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deep Thoughts with Old Lion - OLine issues?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats with the influx of O-Lineman being brought in? Could it be that Schwartz and company are more worried than they are letting on?

What could be the issue?

We already know Nagy is not ready yet as he is still rehabing.

Is it Warford not looking so good already? Lets not forget how many people were screaming for Gabe Carimi to be drafted because he was such a road grader. Problem is many of these players who were road graders in college turn out to be nothing but lard asses in the pros (Manny Ramirez anyone?). Carimi sucked so bad he just got traded for a 6th rounder.

Maybe Fox just cant cut it? Jake Scott can play Right Tackle so maybe he has been brought in for that.

Or maybe Reiff is not ready and Fox will move to LT.

What do you think?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it has anything to do with the starters. The Lions are going to keep 8-9 O Linemen.

LT Reiff
LG Sims
C Ravioli
RG Warford/Nagy
RT Fox/Hilliard

That's 7 keepers

Scott will compete with Gandy, Austin and a couple of other bodies for the final spot or two.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still worried. This is alot of turnover for a O-line Young and inexperienced as well.....Reiff, Warford Fox....That's alot of new bodies. Just because your on the roster doesn't mean you can play, it just means your the best we got at the moment and that is scary to go with the youth movement at 3 spots on the same line.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are going to keep 8-9 O Linemen

Scott will compete with Gandy, Austin and a couple of other bodies for the final spot or two.

I'm wondering if the Lions brass are thinking about putting Nagy on PUP to start the season. If we get an injury he comes off or another back up underperforms. If not they put him on IR and he's completely healthy for next season. Does anyone know the injury status on his ankle?

Based on apparently how much the Lions like Austin they can't risk putting him on the practice squad for another year cause someone might take him away. Seems we have quite a few guys battling for one spot.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still worried. This is alot of turnover for a O-line Young and inexperienced as well.....Reiff, Warford Fox....That's alot of new bodies. Just because your on the roster doesn't mean you can play, it just means your the best we got at the moment and that is scary to go with the youth movement at 3 spots on the same line.

That's fair. Hell, if it was me replacing 3 starters on Madden in one year I'd have concerns.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put too much into the Lions bringing in extra OL. I think they are just trying to replenish their depth at the position, in case of injury.

If someone they bring in wins a starting position -- it only benefits the team. I don't think it has anything to do with the Lions not having faith in their OL group. I don't think they have even had a practice with pads on yet, so they aren't sure how the group is going to look.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it has anything to do with the starters. The Lions are going to keep 8-9 O Linemen.

LT Reiff
LG Sims
C Ravioli
RG Warford/Nagy
RT Fox/Hilliard

That's 7 keepers

I think they keep 9, but I think Scott and Austin are the final 2. Nagy may not be ready to play so there could be 1 more.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with RobBase and TrustMe that it's just about creating depth.

I also think Vader makes a great point about putting Nagy on PUP then IR to "stash" him for another year and also open up a roster spot for Rodney Austin.

Why is it that every player we sign these threads pop up? We can have 90 guys now, this is new, there will be far more players coming and going because of this. It's really not that hard to process, at least I wouldn't think so...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Vader makes a great point about putting Nagy on PUP then IR to "stash" him for another year and also open up a roster spot for Rodney Austin.

Agreed. He is an excellent backup/insurance for Sims. I don't think Austin fits at RG and we really have no one who fits behind Sims for LG

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking its more in line with the approach the Lions had in the 1st yr of the regime... raising the floor of the basement, getting a better bench and - who knows - maybe finding a starter / contributor in there somewhere.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just want to say hi to all the old CBS posters (Old Lion,tpaul,Jayfan,LionsPwin,LP,Pride,ShadowJ,Kreton,Gandy,Grail,BlkMag,Grail and others) who are over here. Love to debate some Lions football with you all and to all the new people who were here originally. :suds:

As for the Oline.. The only worry spot for me is the Lions putting all their eggs in Jason Jox's basket. Guy has not played in a football game in 4 years. There were plenty of strong options who would of played for cheap like, Eric Winston,Andre Smith etc.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Backus is gone, so you got to be happy about that right?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Oline.. The only worry spot for me is the Lions putting all their eggs in Jason Jox's basket. Guy has not played in a football game in 4 years. There were plenty of strong options who would of played for cheap like, Eric Winston, Andre Smith etc.

Worrying about Fox is understandable, but neither Smith or Winston were/are strong, cheap options. Andre Smith signed a 6 mill per year contract with Cinci after zero teams showed interest in him, and he's already not showing up for mandatory mini-camp. He's got one of the worst reps in the NFL. Eric Winston remains a FA because his asking price is too high for every team who's kicked his wheels. Eventually, you gotta play the guys you draft. If a 4th round pick is never going to start for you then why bother even having draft picks. If Fox sucks, so be it. But let him prove it first.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy has not played in a football game in 4 years.
Not true. 5 games in the last 3 seasons. Just sayin'. He's been injured a ton, we all know that. But like swarm said, let's see what he can do this year while healthy and with ample opportunity.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if Hillard beats him out and plays all 16 games?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he beats him out, and the better player(according to the staff) won. I've never once said Fox was definite starter material, but let's give the guy a chance before writing him off.

And just because Fox doesn't become the starter doesn't mean he wouldn't have other opportunities elsewhere on the line barring any injuries, needed breaks, goal-line packages, etc.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Backus is gone, so you got to be happy about that right?

Hell yeah, I will admit he was "decent" in pass pro the last couple years but steadily was getting mauled in the run game. He's gone though and it's over, I'm done talking about him. He worked his butt off for the Lions for a decade so I am not hating anymore.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. 5 games in the last 3 seasons. Just sayin'. He's been injured a ton, we all know that. But like swarm said, let's see what he can do this year while healthy and with ample opportunity.

Okay my bad, I didn't know he played. Thought he was on IR for both years and then just a no show last season. I think he has a chance to be solid, also, Hilliard wasn't a dog out there by any means.

My only point was that Fox is the only big question I have. I think Reiff will have growing pains but be solid most of the time. Sims is good, Cryola has always sucked so I just keep low expectations from the center position every year. I think Warford will be good for the fact he played in the SEC and faced plenty of very good competition. RT is the only big question and possible downgrade cause Cherilous played so well last season.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only point was that Fox is the only big question I have.

I am going to go waaaaaaaay out on a limb here and say that "IF" Fox stays healthy he surprises everyone and actually plays very well and we don't miss Cherilus one bit. It's Reiff who worries me and I fear he is going to underperform so badly fans start to miss Backus and are forced into the stark realization that he was a very solid LT and not the bum he was often made out to be.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only point was that Fox is the only big question I have. I think
Reiff will have growing pains but be solid most of the time. Sims is good,
Cryola has always sucked so I just keep low expectations from the center
position every year. I think Warford will be good for the fact he played in the
SEC and faced plenty of very good competition. RT is the only big question and
possible downgrade cause Cherilous played so well last season.

Welcome back Thunder. Glad you finally made it.

Personally I am not too comfortable with anyone but Sims and Raiola. Dom put on some muscle this year and will play at 310. I am leary more about Reiff and Warford then Fox though. If Fox is healthy I think he will be fine at RT. Reiff may not be able to handle LT early on, and I am hoping that he figures it out quickly though before Staff ends up in the hospital. Warford like many other mauling College Guards before him could end up being nothing but a lard ass. I don't get that feeling so far, but it seems to happen more often then not.

The big saving grace I see is that we will be a shorter passing team this year. Shorter drops and quicker throws. The occasional bomb to Megatron will be much more effective instead of trying to force it every other play.