• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Decisions, Decisions. Decisions

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the 2023 season, the Patriot must decide by May 1, 2024 to give Mac Jones the fifth year option. If they do, Mac will be guaranteed $36M for the 2025 season.

In my not always agreed with opinion, I think that the Patriots should draft a quarterback, just in case Mac doesn't make any improvement over 2022, regardless of the changes made around him. Just in case.
We have Zappe and whatever free agents will be available next year. I'd throw a late 5th or 6th round pick out there and hope. Not wasting an early pick.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you use our #14 to get the 5th QB off the board or,
Do you trade up and give all our picks for ______?
Do you trade Zappe and our $1?
Do you draft a 6th rounder and hope for Brady II?
Do you throw darts at the big board?
Idon't give a rat's ass where they draft him. Draft a QB that can learn the offense and give him a year to assimulate himself and learn from Mac and Zappe's mistakes. Hell, draft Bennett in the 5th. He may be 5'11" but he knows how to win after two consecutive Championships running the Georgia offense. Give Mac something to force himself to exert and extand.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Zappe and whatever free agents will be available next year. I'd throw a late 5th or 6th round pick out there and hope. Not wasting an early pick.
Agreed 6th round take a clipboard holder with room to grow

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idon't give a rat's ass where they draft him. Draft a QB that can learn the offense and give him a year to assimulate himself and learn from Mac and Zappe's mistakes. Hell, draft Bennett in the 5th. He may be 5'11" but he knows how to win after two consecutive Championships running the Georgia offense. Give Mac something to force himself to exert and extand.
LMAO You really think Mac is the problem? Have you read any of what his teamates and other teams have said. Mac is not your problem. Taking a QB before round six is not the better option.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO You really think Mac is the problem? Have you read any of what his teamates and other teams have said. Mac is not your problem. Taking a QB before round six is not the better option.
@BigKen 's mind is like a steel trap.
Once you get something in there, it's not getting out!

I love all the different opinions on this board.
Ken and I often agree and more often disagree.
I'm impatient with old people who think old - having to live with my mother in law.
She had a thought twenty years ago and that is the only thing left in her head.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that Mac's the solution??

Yes, Mac's part of the problem. He's not the entire problem, All of us on this board have discussed the myriad of problems with this team and "I" believe that two of the biggest are Mac and BB. BB because he inexcusably handed over the offense of the NE Patriots to two men that were totally incapable of handling it. That and he refused to admit it and fix it for an entire season. Mac, because, through no fault of his own, can't run to save his life, Can't speed up is read options and Can't figure out how to take two steps forward in the pocket.

I'm impatient with old people who think old - having to live with my mother in law.
She had a thought twenty years ago and that is the only thing left in her head.....

Think she might have been thinking about ways to get rid of you before you get rid of her??? Us old farts have very deadly minds like steel traps.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, Mac's part of the problem. He's not the entire problem, All of us on this board have discussed the myriad of problems with this team and "I" believe that two of the biggest are Mac and BB. BB because he inexcusably handed over the offense of the NE Patriots to two men that were totally incapable of handling it. That and he refused to admit it and fix it for an entire season. Mac, because, through no fault of his own, can't run to save his life, Can't speed up is read options and Can't figure out how to take two steps forward in the pocket.

Think she might have been thinking about ways to get rid of you before you get rid of her??? Us old farts have very deadly minds like steel traps.
But that one thought can't suffice as a plan!

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mac, because, through no fault of his own, can't run to save his life, Can't speed up is read options and Can't figure out how to take two steps forward in the pocket.

Tom Brady was sacked 71 times in his first 2 years. Mac Jones 62. Guess we should have shit canned him too. Brady had more interceptions. Brady had less passing yards. Yeah… let’s give up on Mac and draft ANOTHER QB. Mac Jones was almost rookie of the year. Mac jones led us to the playoffs last year. Coach B fucks him over last year and Mac is responsible??

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No I am saying you do not understand what took place in NE last year. Can't run to save his life is not a real issue for a pocket QB which he is. As I stated teamates openly stated Mac was not the issue. Defensive coordinators from other teams stated there was nothing that scared them last year almost of they they didn't even game plan for the offense. No weapons, shitty O line. OC with zero exp and could not even explain to the QB what the break downs in plays were, no TE play, WRs that dropped balls. Mac is not the issue, everyone needs to stop hoping he is TB12 or some other form of QB that he is not.

If BOB chooses to adopt a system that requires a mobile then perhaps MAC is not the answer, but that too is not on MAC. Three OCs in three years, no real WR play to speak of. And for fuck sakes Zappe was what 2 for 2 with wins against the Lions and Browns? Whooot not the juggernauts like BUFF or KC or CINN etc. If Mac get's beat out for his job so be it but BB stuck with him for a reason.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's still more mobile than Brady was.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what mistakes did Zappe demonstrate that are "learnable" from? Learn not to be inexperienced? I'm not pronouncing Zappe as anything other that who he is, an inexperienced project. But that doesn't mean he did anything that specifically wrong that someone can learn from.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I am saying you do not understand what took place in NE last year. Can't run to save his life is not a real issue for a pocket QB which he is. As I stated teamates openly stated Mac was not the issue. Defensive coordinators from other teams stated there was nothing that scared them last year almost of they they didn't even game plan for the offense. No weapons, shitty O line. OC with zero exp and could not even explain to the QB what the break downs in plays were, no TE play, WRs that dropped balls. Mac is not the issue, everyone needs to stop hoping he is TB12 or some other form of QB that he is not.
I do understand the problem. I coached football for 40+ years. From Game #1 to Game #17, Mac was never able to read his options faster. He dropped back and surveyed at the beginning and was doing it at the end. Through seventeen games, he never made one adjustment in the pocket. He'd drop back and freeze and never once did he step forward. Bad coaching? yes. Bad ability to watch film and not be able to a self to make a self adjustment?? Yes.
He's still more mobile than Brady was.

Are you really comparing Mac to Brady?? To say the very least, Brady had won a Super Bowl and an MVP by this time in his career.

Brady understood what he had to do to make up for his inability to take off and run. He'd step up or sense the defense and shift left or right and find his receiver in less than two seconds. It's the difference between maple sap and maple syrup.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do understand the problem. I coached football for 40+ years. From Game #1 to Game #17, Mac was never able to read his options faster. He dropped back and surveyed at the beginning and was doing it at the end. Through seventeen games, he never made one adjustment in the pocket. He'd drop back and freeze and never once did he step forward. Bad coaching? yes. Bad ability to watch film and not be able to a self to make a self adjustment?? Yes.

Are you really comparing Mac to Brady?? To say the very least, Brady had won a Super Bowl and an MVP by this time in his career.

Brady understood what he had to do to make up for his inability to take off and run. He'd step up or sense the defense and shift left or right and find his receiver in less than two seconds. It's the difference between maple sap and maple syrup.
You never get it. You bragging about your coaching prowess does not impress anyone discussing NFL scheming. Was Mac not able to read options or were there little options to choose from? When a defense has a solid understanding of how an opposing offense is run then taking away "the best options" are not that difficult, even with a run heavy offense.

As for Brady and speed, he's always the bench mark for QB's being successful without the ability to run well. Bledsoe was doing it way back in 2005. There's no need to shame someone just because you can't counter their point.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you really comparing Mac to Brady?? To say the very least, Brady had won a Super Bowl and an MVP by this time in his career.Brady

Brady passed for 2,800 yards 18 TD’s and 12 INT’s his 1st SuperBowl year. Not great. Not even very good actually.

I’d say having Seymour… Law…. Bruschi….Vrable… Milloy…McGinest on the team got us to the SuperBowl. Brady had a great final drive. That was it.

I bet we had that defense now, Mac would have a Super Bowl ring too.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady passed for 2,800 yards 18 TD’s and 12 INT’s his 1st SuperBowl year. Not great. Not even very good actually.

I’d say having Seymour… Law…. Bruschi….Vrable… Milloy…McGinest on the team got us to the SuperBowl. Brady had a great final drive. That was it.

I bet we had that defense now, Mac would have a Super Bowl ring too.
You need to give Brady props in one all important statistical category: He had a near 100.0 rating in "Didn't Fuck Anything Up" metric. The year before Bledoe had something like a 14.3 rating. Brady had proved little at the time Bledsoe was traded other than that one metric, but for a prospect it's a really good career trajectory indicator.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to give Brady props in one all important statistical category: He had a near 100.0 rating in "Didn't Fuck Anything Up" metric. The year before Bledoe had something like a 14.3 rating. Brady had proved little at the time Bledsoe was traded other than that one metric, but for a prospect it's a really good career trajectory indicator.
True that.

But he basically “Trent Dilfer’d” the QB position that year. He really didn’t win us games like he did later in his career. He had 1 TD pass that postseason. 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl. He didn’t lose games for us but didn’t put the team on his back and win either.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True that.

But he basically “Trent Dilfer’d” the QB position that year. He really didn’t win us games like he did later in his career. He had 1 TD pass that postseason. 2 playoff games and the Super Bowl. He didn’t lose games for us but didn’t put the team on his back and win either.
But Tom "fucking cement shoes" Brady ran for a TD versus the Raiders. Ain't no tuck rule drama without it.

I won't try to say he carried the team that year, but he didn't just "Dilfer" it up either. He delivered many highlights through the year and did have some in the playoffs including his roar after tunneling through the snow for that TD.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Tom "fucking cement shoes" Brady ran for a TD versus the Raiders. Ain't no tuck rule drama without it.

I won't try to say he carried the team that year, but he didn't just "Dilfer" it up either. He delivered many highlights through the year and did have some in the playoffs including his roar after tunneling through the snow for that TD.

I won’t lie… I don’t remember squat of any big game plays( couldn’t watch many patriots game in Idaho). Just looking at game stats and he only had 1 solid game. 1 game with 4 ints and 1 game with 7 sacks. So. I will have to take your word on big plays

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You said he can't "run to save his life". I simply said he's faster than Brady ever was.

Don't start thowing in a bunch of other shit I never said nor implied to try and strengthen your statement.

No of course he's not Brady nor can he run like a Mahomes, Allen or Jackson. Mac ran a 4.43 40 while Brady ran (if you want to call that running) a 5.17 at their combines. FACT