• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Talks - Last Day

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andino to the Pirates for PTBNL

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What the heck is Jack doing?” an exasperated baseball executive said to ESPN on Wednesday, referring to Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik. “What he’s asking for, it’s crazy.”

For many Mariners fans, this attitude might give them a warm, fuzzy feeling. Zduriencik protected his team — red-hot in July with the third-most runs in Major League Baseball — rejecting lowball offers and declining to trade anyone before the non-waiver deadline midday Wednesday.
It was a non-move quite unlike the Mariners of past, whose trades-away of Doug Fister and Shin-Soo Choo have become known in Seattle as terrible deadline deals. Instead, this year Zduriencik opted to maintain a team chemistry.
Well, that’s at least how Jack-Z characterized his decision. But it sounds like he rebuffed at least a few offers for three valuable players on one-year contracts: Kendrys Morales, Michael Morse and Raul Ibanez.
“He should be able to move any of those three guys,” the executive, who remained anonymous, told ESPN. “They could all be the final touch on somebody’s roster. But with every one of then, it’s always (from Zduriencik), ‘If somebody wants to blow us away ….’
“In this era, with all the parity in baseball today, why would any team want to risk giving up a premium prospect for a rental player? But that’s what he asked for. It’s crazy.”
From the ESPN report:
GM Jack Zduriencik’s peers seem to like him personally. But this was not a market in which any team was going to trade its very best prospect for any rent-a-bat. Yet, for whatever reason, that’s what the Mariners kept asking for in every deal.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What the heck is Jack doing?” an exasperated baseball executive said to ESPN on Wednesday, referring to Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik. “What he’s asking for, it’s crazy.”

For many Mariners fans, this attitude might give them a warm, fuzzy feeling. Zduriencik protected his team — red-hot in July with the third-most runs in Major League Baseball — rejecting lowball offers and declining to trade anyone before the non-waiver deadline midday Wednesday.
It was a non-move quite unlike the Mariners of past, whose trades-away of Doug Fister and Shin-Soo Choo have become known in Seattle as terrible deadline deals. Instead, this year Zduriencik opted to maintain a team chemistry.
Well, that’s at least how Jack-Z characterized his decision. But it sounds like he rebuffed at least a few offers for three valuable players on one-year contracts: Kendrys Morales, Michael Morse and Raul Ibanez.
“He should be able to move any of those three guys,” the executive, who remained anonymous, told ESPN. “They could all be the final touch on somebody’s roster. But with every one of then, it’s always (from Zduriencik), ‘If somebody wants to blow us away ….’
“In this era, with all the parity in baseball today, why would any team want to risk giving up a premium prospect for a rental player? But that’s what he asked for. It’s crazy.”
From the ESPN report:
GM Jack Zduriencik’s peers seem to like him personally. But this was not a market in which any team was going to trade its very best prospect for any rent-a-bat. Yet, for whatever reason, that’s what the Mariners kept asking for in every deal.

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I'm actually fine with all of that.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is teams will give up high level prospects for "rent a bats," at least they have in the past. But when the Mariners look for a good prospect then Jack Z is "crazy" for demanding such a return. If the M's were in the playoff hunt and looking to add a bat, you'd better believe that teams would be asking for guys like Nick Franklin or Mike Zunino.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Honestly I've reached a point where I'd rather see them walk then trade them for trash.

To me I think GMZ is thinking the same way and you cannot think that way as a GM. If you don't have confidence you can trade for talent, then you have no business being a GM.

Standing pat with Morales I can understand, but Ryan, Morse, Perez, Saunders, and Wilhelmsen? That makes no sense whatsoever. Even if the guy we get in return never makes it, you have lost nothing by dealing these guys who I don't see being a part of our future. This is way different than trading Fister who was cheap, talented, and under team control.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me I think GMZ is thinking the same way and you cannot think that way as a GM. If you don't have confidence you can trade for talent, then you have no business being a GM.

Standing pat with Morales I can understand, but Ryan, Morse, Perez, Saunders, and Wilhelmsen? That makes no sense whatsoever. Even if the guy we get in return never makes it, you have lost nothing by dealing these guys who I don't see being a part of our future. This is way different than trading Fister who was cheap, talented, and under team control.

What if the talent you are being offered in return is just not worth it?

Morales and Morse I would have held on to. I know we disagree on Morse but I feel like he was a rip off waiting to happen.

Ryan, Perez, Saunders and Wilhelmsen I can see your point on.

I think it is possible nobody wanted Ryan. It is hard to look past his bat, no matter how many WAR his defense is.

Perez and Wilhelmsen I would have moved just because I feel like relievers are a dime a dozen and are easily replaced.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the talent you are being offered in return is just not worth it?

Morales and Morse I would have held on to. I know we disagree on Morse but I feel like he was a rip off waiting to happen.

Ryan, Perez, Saunders and Wilhelmsen I can see your point on.

I think it is possible nobody wanted Ryan. It is hard to look past his bat, no matter how many WAR his defense is.

Perez and Wilhelmsen I would have moved just because I feel like relievers are a dime a dozen and are easily replaced.

Taking Morales out of the conversation, any player offered would have been worth it for the simple reason all but Wilhelmsen will be a free agent with nothing in return. So in these cases, a penny is better than nothing. Now if your argument is that Morse can be re-signed easier now, then you would be correct but do we want him back? Remember he has played 146 games one season then 102 his next best season....in his entire career. He has never been a guy who you can count on 1- to play a lot and 2- to perform consistently when he does play.

Maybe nobody wanted Ryan, but that is hard to believe considering his glove. A great offensive team can work around his bat and I think he still gets dealt this month.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we might see some guys put on waivers and dealt before the end of the month. Teams will be more desperate and possibly willing to give up more for the guys that are available. If Morse can put up a few solid weeks before the end of the month and show some of that power that he started the year with, there's bound to be at least one team that'll want him.

Ryan should have value as a defensive replacement and I can see him going back to the National League if someone does pick him up. I think the only reason why he wasn't picked up sooner is that teams didn't want to have to put his bat in the lineup, even if only occasionally, for two months. One month of his bat in exchange for one month of his glove is a little easier to swallow, especially if the team he goes to is already stacked on offense and can absorb a terrible bat for the chance at gold glove defense at shortstop.

Wilhelmsen fell off a cliff months ago and every time it looks like he might be starting to climb back up, his foot slips on a patch of loose rock and he falls back down. We'd be lucky to get minor league filler for him at this point. Minor league filler is better than nothing, but not a whole hell of a lot better. The Mariners could probably draft a better player than they could get in a deal for Wilhelmsen.