• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Talks - Last Day

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4026.jpg

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are talking to the Mariners about Michael Morse and Oliver Perez.

Connolly hears that the Orioles would like to get both players in a combo deal. Morse would be a big upgrade out of the DH spot while Perez has revived his career out of the bullpen. FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi hears that the Mariners are involved in active trade discussions regarding both Perez and Tom Wilhelmsen. Meanwhile, Danny Knobler hears that the Mariners are also talking with the Rays about Morse.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol can't wait to see Morse go to Baltimore, sign an extension and hit 30 HRs there next year.

Honestly I can see the argument behind trading Morse and Morales for prospects but quite frankly I've phucking had it with the prospects. I'd rather try to win and re-sign these guys than trade them for the JUNK we will receive as compensation for them.

Seriously when will the Mariners stop being the place where winning teams look to improve their rosters? Look forward to seeing the Mariners try replicate the production Morales, Ibanez and Morse gave us via the offseason.

Well at least I won't have to worry about the Mariners board being over run with bandwagon delusional fans like the Seahawks boards.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol can't wait to see Morse go to Baltimore, sign an extension and hit 30 HRs there next year.

Honestly I can see the argument behind trading Morse and Morales for prospects but quite frankly I've phucking had it with the prospects. I'd rather try to win and re-sign these guys than trade them for the JUNK we will receive as compensation for them.

Seriously when will the Mariners stop being the place where winning teams look to improve their rosters? Look forward to seeing the Mariners try replicate the production Morales, Ibanez and Morse gave us via the offseason.

Well at least I won't have to worry about the Mariners board being over run with bandwagon delusional fans like the Seahawks boards.

I don't mind them trading these guys because I think they can potentially get players this way versus the comp draft picks. I agree I would also like to see Morales re-signed, but it doesn't look like he is rushing to do that with us so what can they do? If he wants back, they can still go after him in the off season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind them trading these guys because I think they can potentially get players this way versus the comp draft picks. I agree I would also like to see Morales re-signed, but it doesn't look like he is rushing to do that with us so what can they do? If he wants back, they can still go after him in the off season.

I'm not sure if there are any facts to back this up but I always had the feeling that the odds of a player re-signing with you after being traded is much lower than if the team had just retained the player.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if there are any facts to back this up but I always had the feeling that the odds of a player re-signing with you after being traded is much lower than if the team had just retained the player.

I am not sure either, but I have always believed if a guy was happy with the team he would re-sign during the season and not risk injury especially in Morales's case going into free agency. The other problem I see is that not a lot of teams may be willing to give up a 1st round pick to sign him which to me gives him more incentive to sign a long term deal with M's now then risk a one year deal in the off season with them. Who knows with these guys and their agents.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure either, but I have always believed if a guy was happy with the team he would re-sign during the season and not risk injury especially in Morales's case going into free agency. The other problem I see is that not a lot of teams may be willing to give up a 1st round pick to sign him which to me gives him more incentive to sign a long term deal with M's now then risk a one year deal in the off season with them. Who knows with these guys and their agents.

My train of thought when it comes to trading a guy and the chances of re-signing him runs a little something like this...

Say you have a guy like Morales. He comes to Seattle, say he likes it here, nice stadium, nice city, for arguments sake lets say he also likes it in the clubhouse.

Then he gets traded to lets say Boston (or any other contending team for that matter). It has all of that plus the excitement of playing for a contender in a winning organization in a prime market.

I just feel like unless you're completely in love with the city/team for some special reason, the thrill of playing with a contender can easily make you forget about the last team you played for, even if you enjoyed it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a somewhat unrelated note I feel like Mike Morse is such a great value for any team interested.

Due to his injuries and lowered batting average I don't think it would take much to pry him away from the Mariners. But the upside being that he can hit .270 with 30+ HRs for whoever trades for him. His BA was .250 before getting hurt, but he still had 11HRs in around 200ABs which is roughly 30HRs in a 600AB season.

Would be a great value trade. Although according to MLBTR he seems to be getting a lot of interest, Rays, Orioles and 3 or 4 other teams are interested.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My train of thought when it comes to trading a guy and the chances of re-signing him runs a little something like this...

Say you have a guy like Morales. He comes to Seattle, say he likes it here, nice stadium, nice city, for arguments sake lets say he also likes it in the clubhouse.

Then he gets traded to lets say Boston (or any other contending team for that matter). It has all of that plus the excitement of playing for a contender in a winning organization in a prime market.

I just feel like unless you're completely in love with the city/team for some special reason, the thrill of playing with a contender can easily make you forget about the last team you played for, even if you enjoyed it.

I hear ya, but in Morales's case he already knows what it is like to come from a contender and play with quality players in Cali and maybe that is the reason he has not re-signed.

I guess I have ARod bad taste in my mouth and I believe you don't let anyone walk for free unless the offers just aren't better than a comp pick. Morales will get you a pick, but not sure guys like Perez and Morse will so something now is better than nothing later.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen guys are a dime a dozen, I'd move Perez but I'd hang on to Morse.

You may have A-Rod bad taste in your mouth but I've got Montero, Smoak, Casper Wells bad taste in my mouth. I just think of all the players the Mariners have shipped off and got nothing in return for. It's been so long since the Mariners have actually had decent players in the lineup that the thought of shipping them off for more of that garbage just frustrates me.

If Jack Z does trade Morales and or Morse I've honestly got to give him tons of credit. Here is a guy who may very well lose his job at the end of the season, and (imo) the only way he retains his job is if the team continues to play strong, something that is less likely if Morales and or Morse are traded. Moving those guys is a look to the future, a future that may very well not be there for Z if he trades those guys.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the logic behind trading Morse and or Morales, I really do. It's just the irrational part of my brain that sees the Mariners sending off legitimate major league hitters in exchange for a few more Casper Wells, or mid level prospects who will likely never become anything.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the logic behind trading Morse and or Morales, I really do. It's just the irrational part of my brain that sees the Mariners sending off legitimate major league hitters in exchange for a few more Casper Wells, or mid level prospects who will likely never become anything.

Understand, but you can't make them stay...unfortunately..so get something for them. I wouldn't trade guys under contract unless the player(s) back are MLB type players now.

I am a bit disappointed we didn't get Ian Kennedy from AZ though. Padres got him for little and he is under contract through '15 I believe and won 21 games just 2 years back. He would fit nicely at the #4 or #5 spot in the rotation
for a couple of years.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outside of one week this season, that has been absolutely nothing. Morse and his glass body can take his strikeouts on fastballs down the middle somewhere else. If there are a couple teams who are both interested in him, we might be able to get a pretty good piece in return.

I think Morales gets either a QO or resigned. The guy is a professional hitter and has said he really likes it here.

The production from Ibanez came from out of nowhere and he seems to have cooled off since the All Star break.

I've considered trying to nab Alex Rios, since nobody seems to be jumping on that possibility.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of one week this season, that has been absolutely nothing. Morse and his glass body can take his strikeouts on fastballs down the middle somewhere else. If there are a couple teams who are both interested in him, we might be able to get a pretty good piece in return.

I think Morales gets either a QO or resigned. The guy is a professional hitter and has said he really likes it here.

The production from Ibanez came from out of nowhere and he seems to have cooled off since the All Star break.

I've considered trying to nab Alex Rios, since nobody seems to be jumping on that possibility.

13m[/ame] Since the ASB ... Ibanez is hitting .135 (5-for-37) with a .189 slugging percentage and two doubles and 15 strikeouts.

I would like to keep Morales as well...but if he doesn't want to re-sign then get what you can for him.

Morse, like you said.

Rios would be interesting if he came cheap. We could always deal him next deadline if he became a head case.

30 minutes to go

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With just a few minutes remaining it appears the Mariners have not made any moves.

If they can retain Morse and Morales then it was the right move.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With just a few minutes remaining it appears the Mariners have not made any moves.

If they can retain Morse and Morales then it was the right move.

Morales yes, not so much on Morse. Injury prone the last few years, slow as heck on defense and bases, and we actually played our best ball when he was out. Go after a real OF next year like Ellsbury even with the risk of injury and high price tag.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales yes, not so much on Morse. Injury prone the last few years, slow as heck on defense and bases, and we actually played our best ball when he was out. Go after a real OF next year like Ellsbury even with the risk of injury and high price tag.

I agree on Ellsbury I think he should be a target in the off season. There is an injury history there though and that should be considered in the Mariners offer.

I think there are several guys the Mariners should consider in the off-season but that is for another thread.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though the deadline has passed, moves could still be made. It wouldn't be completely surprising if guys like Saunders or Wilhelmsen cleared waivers and were then traded. I wouldn't expect guys like Morales or Morse to clear though.