• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DEA investigating potential painkiller use, abuse in NFL

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,393.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DEA has launched an investigation into potential painkiller abuse in the NFL, the New York Daily News reported Saturday, citing three sources familiar with the probe.

Federal authorities want to find out how NFL doctors and trainers access prescription painkillers and who distributes them to players, according to the Daily News report.

The investigation began shortly after a group of retired players filed a lawsuit accusing the NFL of distributing prescription narcotics without telling players of the drugs' effects.

The lawsuit, filed in May, represents about 1,300 players, including Jim McMahon, Richard Dent and ESPN analyst Marcellus Wiley.

The NFL declined comment on the report of the Drug Enforcement Administration's investigation.

A DEA spokeswoman said she was not aware of an investigation into prescription drug abuse in NFL locker rooms but said generally speaking the DEA is involved in efforts to reduce painkiller abuse.

Source: ESPN

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm real, real curious to see where this goes... and who gets pulled into it.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will be more of a 'he said - she said' thing. Going back decades is going to be hard to prove in regard to the lawsuit anyway.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're about 4 decades late on this one.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like a "No Duh" type situation. NFL players have some serious trauma to their bodies so the doctors regulate it with pain killers. Eventually those players get hooked on the things. Happens all the time in the real world so why wouldn't it in the NFL?

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will be more of a 'he said - she said' thing. Going back decades is going to be hard to prove in regard to the lawsuit anyway.

Yeah. I don't see much coming out of this unless something relavent to the here and now pops up. But - that is the one thing that the NFofL has to be concerned with.