• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darnell Dockett signs with 49ers

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dockett and his shenanigans will be missed. Wish he didn't stay in the division, but oh well.

I just hope we use the money we saved on him wisely somewhere else. *Cough AP Cough*

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis, I would argue that it is NOT hypocritical if Dansby wasn't cut then asked back at 1/3 the prior price tag by the organization he had been a part of for over a decade. DD sees it as a slight, wanted ARZ to respect him enough to match the offer, they didn't, he bolted.

I like the signing. The Niners have a guy that can man the 3-4 DE vacated by Ray Ray while allowing our young bucks an opportunity to rotate in and get some much needed experience. I would like to see Tank and Dial rotate in for Cowboy (please come back!) and DD. The other factor that Baalke has made a killing with over the last couple of years is many of the FA he signs have been cut by other teams, thus not affecting the draft pick compensatory scale, which is why we continue to stockpile picks and attempt to restock the shelves every year.

$2 Mil on the books for a guy that is in essence a solid starter and stop gap while we see how our young draft picks pan out is a sound investment IMO. I've never been a big fan of the high priced FA coming from another team, regardless of youth unless we are talking someone like Suh who can be dominant in ANY scheme. On ANY team, for every Justin Smith signed, there are like 20 signings of the Jonas Jennings or Antonio Langham variety.
The bigger benefit you will see is his leadership. He has a tremendous work ethic which may rub off on the young guys. He seldom makes impact plays anymore and the injury in his advanced years is a bit of a risk. The Cards just felt his price tag was too high. He actually went back to the Cards a couple of times to see if they would match and they wouldn't.

I agree with Davis about him being a hypocrite. Dansby chased the money and so did Dockett. The Cards offered him a fair, incentivized contract. Like Dansby last year, Dockett wanted the dough.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly why I love the Cards new front office. Why overpay for a 34 year old coming off a torn ACL who hasn't put together a high quality year since 2010. He was a rotation guy before the torn ACL because his production dropped so much.

Dockett was a great locker room guy who always played hard. Unfortunately I can't wish him the best because he joined the niners, but I will say farewell DD and thanks for all the great years as a Cardinal.

Az has $56,900,000 in dead cap committed to Palmer and Fitz going into the 2015 season. You like those moves?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a fan of Dockett, as sad is it is to see a long time player & fan favorite go play for a rival team, this was the right move for everyone involved. Production wise, he has slipped since 2010. He can still be a disrupter in the backfield, but he doesn't make a lot of plays. He mainly opens it up for others to make the plays.

I am not sure how much gas is left in the tank, but in a rotation, I think he can be effective. He still needs to recover from the ACL & add back the 30+ pounds he has lost since the injury. I am just not sure his production will be worth $4 mil this upcoming season.

Dockett just comes off as a hypocrite for chasing the money when he criticized Dansby last offseason for doing the same thing.

I don't entirely recall the Dansby deal but IIRC he left for more $ than AZ would pay. DD was cut by the team. He also said he gave Az more than 1 opportunity to match SF's offer and they declined. I don't think that is being hypocritical at all.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Az has $56,900,000 in dead cap committed to Palmer and Fitz going into the 2015 season. You like those moves?

First of all, please explain how you came up with that figure.
Arizona Cardinals Salary Cap - Over the Cap

Second, how is it dead money when they both still play for the team? Dead money applies to players whose salary you are paying while they are not on the team anymore.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dead money only happens if you cut someone. They won't cut Fitzgerald.

They could cut Palmer after this season if he can't stay healthy again but even then the dead money hit would only be $13M next year and would actually save them $4M against their cap (Palmer gets damn expensive soon). Certainly far from ideal but this GM was handed what at the time was the worst QB situation in the NFL and is making due with it as best he can.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't entirely recall the Dansby deal but IIRC he left for more $ than AZ would pay. DD was cut by the team. He also said he gave Az more than 1 opportunity to match SF's offer and they declined. I don't think that is being hypocritical at all.
He is hypocritical because he criticized Dansby for "chasing the money" which is exactly what Dockett did.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They could cut Palmer after this season if he can't stay healthy again but even then the dead money hit would only be $13M next year and would actually save them $4M against their cap (Palmer gets damn expensive soon). Certainly far from ideal but this GM was handed what at the time was the worst QB situation in the NFL and is making due with it as best he can.
This is exactly right. My direct point was the fact that they didn't over pay for Dockett. They offered him a fair contract which he didn't accept. There was a time when the Cardinals had to overpay for every player.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly right. My direct point was the fact that they didn't over pay for Dockett. They offered him a fair contract which he didn't accept. There was a time when the Cardinals had to overpay for every player.

I was just looking at Campbell Calais contract. He must have signed during the time when they had to overpay everyone. :lol:

He quietly is going to be one of the highest earning defensive players in the entire league when all is said and done for a 3 or 4 year span as his contract had so much guaranteed money in it that it makes it impossible to renegotiate with him and lessen the blow. Don't get me wrong....dude is a stud. I just don't know if he deserves to be in that rarified air where he actually is going to rake $10M+ a year over that span.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, please explain how you came up with that figure.
Arizona Cardinals Salary Cap - Over the Cap

Second, how is it dead money when they both still play for the team? Dead money applies to players whose salary you are paying while they are not on the team anymore.
If you look at the graphic you provided you will see how much dead money applies to each player, if any at all.
Both players mentioned are towards the end of their careers. The older a player is the greater the doubt he will remain on the team. If they were both younger, the amount of potential dead money is not out of line.
IMO, the dead money on Cutlers contract makes him untradeable from Chicago's POV.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$13M is a ton of dead money. How many teams have that much in total dead $ against their cap? Not many if any.
My point was almost $57M committed to players their age is potentially damaging.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$13M is a ton of dead money. How many teams have that much in total dead $ against their cap? Not many if any.
My point was almost $57M committed to players their age is potentially damaging.
You said there is 56mil tied up in dead money between Palmer and Fitz. That is simply not accurate at all. Not even close. Regardless, do you think the Cards front office has done a bad job?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9ers overpaid IMO. The good thing is it's not much guaranteed when he gets cut the following year.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said there is 56mil tied up in dead money between Palmer and Fitz. That is simply not accurate at all. Not even close. Regardless, do you think the Cards front office has done a bad job?
Humor me. Just for arguments sake, lets pretend both players don't make the squad this year.
How much does the team owe those 2, if any?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9ers overpaid IMO. The good thing is it's not much guaranteed when he gets cut the following year.
Justin Smith has not made a decision yet about retirement.
DD is not an expensive insurance policy in case JS blows town.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humor me. Just for arguments sake, lets pretend both players don't make the squad this year.
How much does the team owe those 2, if any?
I'm sorry, but why humor a scenario that has zero chance of happening? They just restructured Fitz and Palmer because they are going to be key starters this year. IF they would have released both of them, they would have done it before they restructured would would have been much less of a cap hit. Your scenario makes no sense at all.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Smith has not made a decision yet about retirement.
DD is not an expensive insurance policy in case JS blows town.

Sure, I get that. Just saying the 9ers overpaid for a 34 year old ACL player. ???

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but why humor a scenario that has zero chance of happening? They just restructured Fitz and Palmer because they are going to be key starters this year. IF they would have released both of them, they would have done it before they restructured would would have been much less of a cap hit. Your scenario makes no sense at all.
You said my statement about the amount of dead cap $ was not only incorrect, but not even close.
That should mean that you know how much those hits would be, yet refuse to answer. Hey, no problem.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move for the 49ers. It gives them Depth and insurance if Smith retires.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are talking about a scenario that would never happen.

That dead money only comes into play if Arizona decides between now and the beginning of the year that they want to waive both player BASED ON PERFORMANCE. If either suffers an injury, they wouldn't cut them because then other parts of the contract become guaranteed.

You think that guaranteed money is more important than it actually is. It's important to the player and the agent more than the team in these situations. It is only when a team might realistically part with players based on ability that it actually becomes important to the team. And that is not something that Arizona has to worry about this year with either player because there is no scenario where they look at their roster and think let's cut Fitz or Palmer because we have better and cheaper options available.