• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NFL Draft: The Tight End Class

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my, they must be reading my posts:

Anymore tight ends we want to look at? We have done 8 here.
I'm partial to Will Mallory. The way he can flip his body around on the fly to catch passes behind him while not missing stride is impressive. Play speed is fast and backed that up at the combine. Hands are underrated for this class. Won't overpower as a blocker, but does his assignment. Little light to play in line 100% of the time, so best in a tandem situation. He and LaPorta are close for me IMO, and behind only Mayer, Washington and Kincaid.

P.S. Extra effort to turn upfield after a catch and not simply fall down is what I typically need to see from any TE. I hate to see them lose their footing so easily and basically tackle themselves. Its for this reason I won't be sold on Musgrave and a couple others.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was absolutely just loving this draft class of TE's. One of the strongest position in the draft IMO.

I was going back in history to other classes that it might to compare to.

It is interesting to see that very good TE classes might repeat themselves every 10 years. (2003, 2013 and now maybe 2023).

But as I was going through the classes and seeing all the other prospects over the years....I might just love tight end prospects. Because there are a TON of guys I loved coming out of college that were absolute busts coming into the NFL. Guys like Chase Coffman, DJ Williams, Leanoard Pope, Dustin Keller ect ect. All guys I loved coming out of college.

I still love a lot of the TE prospects in this draft. But that might not mean as much as I think it does.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEs don't do Jack until they're 24-26 anyway.
That is what makes Mayer interesting, though. He came into college and produced pretty much right away. Normally, your best TEs are converted basketball players or offensive tackles or QBs and they have to grow into the position in some way.

I do think there is the possibility that what made Mayer great in college would just look like a normal TE in the NFL. Tucker Kraft might be the exact same player another round later. Still, if you have a good QB then just taking the highest floor player makes sense imo

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time of year when bold statements sells.
It is usually followed by statements that say their statement was taken out of context.
and on occasion, they nail it.

poor receiver class on the top end unless you seek a 180 il slot type guy. Kincade could have the best pair of hands. We'll know soon enough.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another draft riser: Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan, turning 25 in September, 6'6, 250 pounds.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was absolutely just loving this draft class of TE's. One of the strongest position in the draft IMO.

I was going back in history to other classes that it might to compare to.

It is interesting to see that very good TE classes might repeat themselves every 10 years. (2003, 2013 and now maybe 2023).

But as I was going through the classes and seeing all the other prospects over the years....I might just love tight end prospects. Because there are a TON of guys I loved coming out of college that were absolute busts coming into the NFL. Guys like Chase Coffman, DJ Williams, Leanoard Pope, Dustin Keller ect ect. All guys I loved coming out of college.

I still love a lot of the TE prospects in this draft. But that might not mean as much as I think it does.

I agree with this. This is one of the deeper TE classes in recent years IMO.

As for Washington, I think a lot of teams now run two TE sets with Y and move tight ends, and he has pretty special abilities as a Y TE due to his run blocking. He may be overdrafted but I suspect he'll play in the league for 10 years.

From my Philly standpoint, I think Washington would be a luxury pick on day 2, but damn he would be amazing in our offense as the #2 TE alongside Dallas Goeddert in the run and pass game.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matu is an intriguing developmental TE. Former edge rusher, pretty explosive.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update rankings:
1. Michael Mayer & Dalton Kincaid
3. Darnell Washington
4. Luke Musgrave
5. Sam LaPorta
6. Tucker Kraft
Six prospects made both CBS Sports and ESPN.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update rankings:
1. Michael Mayer & Dalton Kincaid
3. Darnell Washington
4. Luke Musgrave
5. Sam LaPorta
6. Tucker Kraft
Six prospects made both CBS Sports and ESPN.

Could all be gone in the first 2 rounds, definitely 3 IMO.