• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dariu$ $lay

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Mebert, Kawaan Short is their best DT. He was named 2nd team all-pro and to the pro bowl this past year. Star is a quality DT, but Short is the best DT on their team.

He had more sacks(11) this year than Suh has had in any of his 6 seasons. He also forced 3 fumbles, which is more than Suh has forced in 6 years combined. He also recovered more fumbles last year's than Suh has in 6 years combined.

What I'm saying is. Suh is really good, but there are a lot of really good defensive tackles and the amount of money spent by Miami on one DT is going to cripple them. At some point people are going to realize why it was two teams bidding on Suh at the end and not 32. Everyone wants a player like Suh on their team, but not every team is dumb enough to mortgage the future to get it done

Kawaan Short is a better pass rusher, but the rushing YPC drops significantly when Star is out there. I prefer Star for that reason, Run Defense is overlooked in all pro voting.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Star is better clogging up lanes. Short and Star complement each other well. Also helps to have the best LB in football in Kuechly as well as another elite LB in 1st team all-pro Thomas Davis. That defense is absolutely stacked.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawaan Short is a better pass rusher, but the rushing YPC drops significantly when Star is out there. I prefer Star for that reason, Run Defense is overlooked in all pro voting.

The Pro Bowl means absolutely nothing. It's the ultimate popularity contest voted on by casual fans and kids.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Star is better clogging up lanes. Short and Star complement each other well. Also helps to have the best LB in football in Kuechly as well as another elite LB in 1st team all-pro Thomas Davis. That defense is absolutely stacked.

But to his original point, Star makes that line go. And because of it, he'll be getting paid big bucks for it soon.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But to his original point, Star makes that line go. And because of it, he'll be getting paid big bucks for it soon.

I hope we can get his younger brother in the next couple of years, he is not as good, but he is still solid. I think he will be a nice mid round pick when he enters the draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we can get his younger brother in the next couple of years, he is not as good, but he is still solid. I think he will be a nice mid round pick when he enters the draft.

I hope we can get a couple DTs in here to bring somewhat back to where we were w Suh. I obviously don't expect another top unit, but we can't expect to give up the most rush scores a year and win anything.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short will get a deal twice the size of Star. Star, while he clogs lanes, Short does the same but is one of the best at getting to the QB.
And while Short was named to the pro bowl, the 2nd team all-pro this year is the most impressive part.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LWM. For CB, you need to look at pass defensed and QB rating on passes thrown at him to determine the value of a CB. Slay has 30 passes defensed in the past two years. Not sure on the QBR right now, but I'm guessing it is pretty good as he played great after a rough start to this past year

So your saying he played great against crummy teams last season and the Lions should over pay him because he's a fan favorite. Sorry, I'm not seeing the same greatness your seeing. Slay is good and hasn't shown he's great in my book. Stafford looked great the year before his rookie contract was up and what has he done lately? He's making the same kind of money of other QB's are making and their winning playoffs and Super Bowls. Calvin looked great the year before his contract was up and what has he done lately? Plagued with injuries and the coaching staff doesn't know how to use him. RIGHT!! Suh looked great in his last year in Detroit to sell himself to the highest bidder. At least for Suh, he's showing some consistency at the moment with the new team. The hype to over pay players so they can ride the gravy train and get paid to lose has been ridiculous for the longest.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather take the risk of bitching about BQ doing a bad contract than bitching about not paying him and see him get paid and produce elsewhere.

If Bob Quinn is such the talent guru as he's made out to be, then players are expendable.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bob Quinn is such the talent guru as he's made out to be, then players are expendable.

Good point. But at the same time, if BQ thinks Slay has the talent and ability to develop into a shut down corner, he will sign him up.

100% agree w you that BQ won't pay him big just because he's the best we have now.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. But at the same time, if BQ thinks Slay has the talent and ability to develop into a shut down corner, he will sign him up.

It's easier to fix someone contract that has been under paid than it is to over pay someone. Three million a year may be a low ball figure for Slay, but there's no way Slay has proven he's worth 10 million a year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easier to fix someone contract that has been under paid than it is to over pay someone. Three million a year may be a low ball figure for Slay, but there's no way Slay has proven he's worth 10 million a year.

Agree. But a lot of time players get paid on perceived potential. His contract will come down to BQ's perceived potential of Slay. He's def not getting paid 10 million on recent success.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not in the ten million a year range myself. Drew is good, but he ain't that good. That guaranteed money is what will keep him in Detroit. Why I said I'm interested in seeing how he structures a bigger contract.

IMO he's shown enough to garner more than 3 a year though.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is also easier to do when with a team that is loaded with talent, which the Lions are not. I doubt he wants to try to do a complete rebuild, so keeping the talented players they do have is everything.

I think Rob is right that the negotiation will come down to potential, not current production. Although his current production has still been good.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if he gets less than 7M a year. Cant see him getting more then 10M a year though either.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four a year. It isn't that important a position.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is also easier to do when with a team that is loaded with talent, which the Lions are not. I doubt he wants to try to do a complete rebuild, so keeping the talented players they do have is everything.

A complete rebuild isn't necessary for one person that the defense isn't built around. If the front office are doing their jobs then they would have to know what the 2017 FA's and/or 2017 draft class will look like to fill the void. Slay still has another year on his contract and would have to have an outstanding year to sell himself to the League or the better contract with the Lions. All it takes is having another player that thinks he's just as good Slay and Slay is getting all that money and their like... "why not me too?" I don't know about you but I would rather have as much salary cap as I could have to address the OT, Guard, DT, Bell, Tulloch, Ihedigbo and WR's if Calvin retires. And not forgetting Bob Quinn wants to add depth so a season isn't derailed due to injuries.