• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dario Saric coming to the Sixers

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA Rumor Central: Sixers to finally sign Dario Saric

Looks like it gets done today. Some folks are surprised that he didn't wait until next year so he wouldn't be limited by the rookie cap. My guess is that his advisors told him he wasn't likely to get a lot more money anyway and getting NBA time would be more valuable to his career.

This really crowds the Sixer front court. I have to think the Sixers will deal someone before the season starts. No way they can make everyone happy as it stands.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers have some prospects and some talent....they just need to form it into a team...

Saric, Embiid, Simmons, Noel, Okafor are all ideally 4's or 5's.....MAYBE Saric can get away with the 3.....

IF Saric can play the 3...IF Embiid is healthy, and IF Simmons is a hard worker....that is an intriguing front court i do have to say...

TONS of If's though obviously.

A lot of teams are looking to trade away young guys for vets right now...and no one is really looking to trade away vets.....Sixers, Celtics, Twolves, ..etc....gonna b tough to get done.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sixers have some prospects and some talent....they just need to form it into a team...

Saric, Embiid, Simmons, Noel, Okafor are all ideally 4's or 5's.....MAYBE Saric can get away with the 3.....

IF Saric can play the 3...IF Embiid is healthy, and IF Simmons is a hard worker....that is an intriguing front court i do have to say...

TONS of If's though obviously.

A lot of teams are looking to trade away young guys for vets right now...and no one is really looking to trade away vets.....Sixers, Celtics, Twolves, ..etc....gonna b tough to get done.

They have a ton of talent, but the problem is going to be getting these guys court time, who all play a similar position. You can't realistic expect development of players without substantial court time. Simmons is pretty much the only one of the bunch with guaranteed big minutes. Okafor, Noel, Simmons and Saric will likely have to fight it out for maybe 15 minutes a night at the PF spot and 48 at the center. That's crazy.

These guys all have their highest value right now. There's not a plausible way for any of those 4 outside of Simmons to realistically boost their stock during the season. I would think the 76ers will head to camp and try to figure out who they want to go forward with and make a move before the season starts. Or at least that's how I believe they should handle it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons looks like a PG. One of the best passers in the league already. Sees the floor like only a few veterans ever have. The whole team will be done a disservice if someone else handles the ball.

Furthermore, the Sixers won only 9 games last year, so the fuck what if Saric can't really cover 3's yet? Play him there and work on the offense.

Okafor at the 5, scoring 22+ with those great hands on passes from Simmons. Embiid at the 4 if healthy. Saric at the 3. Noel off the bench. Zero front court log jam. There are 142 minutes to go around. That's plenty to work with. Spacing is fine because Embiid and Saric can shoot it out to the 3 point line. Also with the league going smaller, few teams will be able to handle the length. Again, they won 9 games last year. So what if it's not perfect? It's not gonna be perfect no matter what. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons looks like a PG. One of the best passers in the league already. Sees the floor like only a few veterans ever have. The whole team will be done a disservice if someone else handles the ball.

Simmons will likely be the point. But he can't defend point guards.

Furthermore, the Sixers won only 9 games last year, so the fuck what if Saric can't really cover 3's yet? Play him there and work on the offense.

True to an extent. The Sixers aren't expecting to win 50 this year obviously. But if they are going to be seriously players in free agency next year they have to show dramatic improvement.

Okafor at the 5, scoring 22+ with those great hands on passes from Simmons. Embiid at the 4 if healthy. Saric at the 3. Noel off the bench. Zero front court log jam. There are 142 minutes to go around. That's plenty to work with. Spacing is fine because Embiid and Saric can shoot it out to the 3 point line. Also with the league going smaller, few teams will be able to handle the length. Again, they won 9 games last year. So what if it's not perfect? It's not gonna be perfect no matter what. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

It's more a matter of getting players playing time. Putting Simmons in the back court is absolutely not going to work.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys all have their highest value right now. There's not a plausible way for any of those 4 outside of Simmons to realistically boost their stock during the season. I would think the 76ers will head to camp and try to figure out who they want to go forward with and make a move before the season starts. Or at least that's how I believe they should handle it.

I agree with this. I think they are going to need to take a hair cut on the player(s) they decide to move. No one they get market value because everyone knows they need to move players and none of the players have shown enough to work market value.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just curious, you would want to trot a lineup out with Simmons at PG? Imo, his best value, because of his skillset is a Point-Power Forward. Simmons is athletic but there's no way he'll be able to keep up defensively against the PG's in today's NBA. On other other hand, he would be able to hold his own likely against many 4's in the league and also have a huge offensive advantage because of his play making and handle.

I think playing him at PG would be a huge mistake to start his career.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons will likely be the point. But he can't defend point guards.

He's pretty long and pretty athletic. Curry's gonna have a tough time getting his shot over him. And if he proves it's too much to handle, then he covers 2s like we did with Iverson and Snow.

True to an extent. The Sixers aren't expecting to win 50 this year obviously. But if they are going to be seriously players in free agency next year they have to show dramatic improvement.

We do disagree on the importance of free agency. Someone somewhere is going to want to play with Ben Simmons and these bigs anyway. Before landing Durant the Warriors drafted all their stars and won a championship doing it.

It's more a matter of getting players playing time. Putting Simmons in the back court is absolutely not going to work.

That's a massive assumption. I say "show me". And then if it doesn't work I say "let the kid learn how to do it."

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drool over the potential front court of Simmons, Saric and a healthy Embiid. With Noel off the bench and trading Jahlil. Stauskas looked okay in summer league, I'm hoping he can be a viable option at SG. And I'd probably start Rodriguez at PG. TJ is just too limited offensively for my liking. He missed wide open jumpers all day in summer league.

My ideal line up:

C: Embiid
PF: Simmons/Saric
SF: Simmons/Saric
SG: Stauskas
PG: Rodriguez

Bayless, Henderson, Grant, Noel, Jahlil is a pretty nice 2nd unit IMO.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, you would want to trot a lineup out with Simmons at PG? Imo, his best value, because of his skillset is a Point-Power Forward. Simmons is athletic but there's no way he'll be able to keep up defensively against the PG's in today's NBA. On other other hand, he would be able to hold his own likely against many 4's in the league and also have a huge offensive advantage because of his play making and handle.

I think playing him at PG would be a huge mistake to start his career.

His best skill is passing. Excellent rebounder too. And plenty of PGs have made that work from the position.

I have no clue who predetermined this kid has to play the 4 where his length and size is nothing special. If he's playing the 4 that's one less guy to pass to around the rim. Anyone can pass it back outside, Simmons can hit people in stride around the rim. That's his special talent.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drool over the potential front court of Simmons, Saric and a healthy Embiid. With Noel off the bench and trading Jahlil. Stauskas looked okay in summer league, I'm hoping he can be a viable option at SG. And I'd probably start Rodriguez at PG. TJ is just too limited offensively for my liking. He missed wide open jumpers all day in summer league.

My ideal line up:

Okafor is the only scorer on the team. Your starting lineup has a bum playing SG and Embiid has been hurt for the last 3 years. Hopefully we get something out of him. Even at Kansas he had a bad back. He's a volleyball player hoping to play basketball. Great athlete when healthy. Okafor has the perfect hands and finishing ability around the rim to pair with Simmons.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best skill is passing. Excellent rebounder too. And plenty of PGs have made that work from the position.

I have no clue who predetermined this kid has to play the 4 where his length and size is nothing special. If he's playing the 4 that's one less guy to pass to around the rim. Anyone can pass it back outside, Simmons can hit people in stride around the rim. That's his special talent.

Playing the 4 is relative to whom you're able to guard defensively. Offensively, of course Simmons best use will be as a primary ball handler, but you can't put him out there defensively as a PG. He's going to get eaten up and additionally, you'll take away from another great skill set he has which you mentioned, rebounding. Simmons skill set will thrive when guarded by 4's. If you put quicker guards on him, they'll be able to stay in front of him and limit his play making ability. Pair that with Simmons in-ability to shoot from the outside, and smaller guys will have a MUCH easier time guarding him. Even if another 4 plays off of him, Simmons is too quick and too good with the ball for those guys to stay in front of him when he attacks.

Draymond Greens best skill set offensively, is his ball handling and passing. But the reason he's so successful at it is because he plays the 4 and likewise is guarded by other 4's. If you made him the de-facto PG in the lineup, in addition to another big out there, you limit his ability because of quicker guys like PG's being able to recover on him.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okafor is the only scorer on the team. Your starting lineup has a bum playing SG and Embiid has been hurt for the last 3 years. Hopefully we get something out of him. Even at Kansas he had a bad back. He's a volleyball player hoping to play basketball. Great athlete when healthy. Okafor has the perfect hands and finishing ability around the rim to pair with Simmons.

I agree. I wouldn't trade Okafor period. Embiid has to prove that he can stay healthy. There's no reason to make a trade just to make a trade. It has to make sense. This season they need to find out exactly what they have.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be my ideal line up, obviously ideal meaning Embiid is healthy, but we won't know that til he plays in game action. Stauskas would be my ideal SG, given his skill set, well at least the one he showed in college, I think playing with a guy like Simmons will be extremely beneficial to a guy like Stauskas. I actually think Okafor and Simmons wouldn't play together as well as say Okafor and Embiid do. I'm not really all that impressed by Okafor to be honest. I'm not saying he's MCW, but putting up 17 and 7 on the Sixers team last year does nothing for me. He was bad defensively, and he wasn't all that efficient.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's pretty long and pretty athletic. Curry's gonna have a tough time getting his shot over him. And if he proves it's too much to handle, then he covers 2s like we did with Iverson and Snow.

First off, Simmons isn't Iverson or Eric Snow. He's a 6'10" 250 lb player. The reason why he is enticing is because he can do so much for such a big guy. However that does NOT mean the guy can cover a good PG off the dribble. Someone like Curry would get WIDE OPEN looks because his quickness is simply too much for a guy like Simmons. Furthermore, you are taking him away from one of his strengths, rebounding.

Simmons could perhaps play as a swing but he certainly hasn't shown that yet. He needs to work on his shooting before that could be even a possibility.

We do disagree on the importance of free agency. Someone somewhere is going to want to play with Ben Simmons and these bigs anyway. Before landing Durant the Warriors drafted all their stars and won a championship doing it.

guys like Bogut, Livingston, and Iguadalo played crucial roles for the Warriors. Free agency isn't just about landing the super stars. It's about landing great role players as well.

That's a massive assumption. I say "show me". And then if it doesn't work I say "let the kid learn how to do it."

Well thankfully Coach Brown has shown no inclination to agree with you on that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My ideal line up:

That back court is terrifying to me. I'm disappointed the team didn't do what it had to to get a legit PG in here.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That back court is terrifying to me. I'm disappointed the team didn't do what it had to to get a legit PG in here.

Yeah, I wish they would have done that as well. With Simmons looking like a point forward, I'd almost rather have a non traditional PG, more of a combo guard. For instance, even though I think Dunn is a better player than Jamaal Murray, Murray would be a much more ideal fit for this offense. I actually think Bayless could be a very nice player. Now that I think about it, he wouldn't be a bad option at PG to start the season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wish they would have done that as well. With Simmons looking like a point forward, I'd almost rather have a non traditional PG, more of a combo guard. For instance, even though I think Dunn is a better player than Jamaal Murray, Murray would be a much more ideal fit for this offense. I actually think Bayless could be a very nice player. Now that I think about it, he wouldn't be a bad option at PG to start the season.

The team desperately needs shooters. So in that sense they don't need a true point guard but Simmons can't be on the floor all the time and they will need someone else to be a point.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA Rumor Central: Sixers to finally sign Dario Saric

Looks like it gets done today. Some folks are surprised that he didn't wait until next year so he wouldn't be limited by the rookie cap. My guess is that his advisors told him he wasn't likely to get a lot more money anyway and getting NBA time would be more valuable to his career.

This really crowds the Sixer front court. I have to think the Sixers will deal someone before the season starts. No way they can make everyone happy as it stands.

Stupid move. Less money and he may not even play as much.