• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D'Antoni resigns?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where Ollie's salary this year was 1.25 mil. Even if UConn doubled it, NBA teams would still pay him more. Basically, if Ollie wants an NBA job, he can take it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. So he's looking at $2.5 million from UConn and the Lakers paid D'Antoni $4 million.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. So he's looking at $2.5 million from UConn and the Lakers paid D'Antoni $4 million.

Is anyone planning a parade and celebration now that D'antoni is gone?:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and Magic.

I'm glad he's gone - that's no secret, but I wouldn't do that to D'antoni - People are right when they say the fans never gave him a fair chance, but even was confused when they hired him over Phil Jackson. It's like ordering a steak in a nice restaurant and getting a burrito from Taco Bell. My main reason for being glad D'antoni is gone is realy simple - He isn't a good coach, and he's not a good fit for the Lakers. If we are to keep Kobe and Gasol - then we need to slow the tempo down and play defense. The high tempo games D'antoni likes is for young players that can run like that without getting hurt. I wish D'antoni the best of success though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he's gone - that's no secret, but I wouldn't do that to D'antoni - People are right when they say the fans never gave him a fair chance, but even was confused when they hired him over Phil Jackson. It's like ordering a steak in a nice restaurant and getting a burrito from Taco Bell. My main reason for being glad D'antoni is gone is realy simple - He isn't a good coach, and he's not a good fit for the Lakers. If we are to keep Kobe and Gasol - then we need to slow the tempo down and play defense. The high tempo games D'antoni likes is for young players that can run like that without getting hurt. I wish D'antoni the best of success though.

So, in a league that is getting younger and more athletic every season. With pretty much everyone agreeing that the Lakers need to get younger and more athletic. You advocate hiring a coach specifically to cater to 2 older players, one of whom will likely retire in 2 years and the other who may not even re-sign with the Lakers?

This makes sense to you?:noidea:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in a league that is getting younger and more athletic every season. With pretty much everyone agreeing that the Lakers need to get younger and more athletic. You advocate hiring a coach specifically to cater to 2 older players, one of whom will likely retire in 2 years and the other who may not even re-sign with the Lakers?

Quite frankly - I wouldn't have signed Kobe to a two year contract to begin with. There is no question that Kobe is worth something - but not 27 million-half of the salary cap. I would have offered Kobe 10 to 14 million at the most and asked him to take a cut in order to sign new talent. Then offer Gasol 6 to 10 million and then you would have been able to bring in new players. In the post Kobe and Gasol era, however I still favor another coach then D'antoni - He doesn't draw up plays, he has no post game at all and nothing but pick and rolls with zero defense. D'antoni is a nice man, but he was never the right coach in for the Lakers. Back in 2013 - I figured that out when he said that his system failed in New York because he didn't have Steve Nash.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite frankly - I wouldn't have signed Kobe to a two year contract to begin with. There is no question that Kobe is worth something - but not 27 million-half of the salary cap. I would have offered Kobe 10 to 14 million at the most and asked him to take a cut in order to sign new talent. Then offer Gasol 6 to 10 million and then you would have been able to bring in new players. In the post Kobe and Gasol era, however I still favor another coach then D'antoni - He doesn't draw up plays, he has no post game at all and nothing but pick and rolls with zero defense. D'antoni is a nice man, but he was never the right coach in for the Lakers. Back in 2013 - I figured that out when he said that his system failed in New York because he didn't have Steve Nash.

Agree with most of this. However, his system failed in NY because of Carmelo, not because of no Nash. The Knicks were actually playing well when 'Melo was out. When he came back, he demanded his iso's and the offense ground to a halt. It's not "nothing but pick and rolls". It's about ball movement, not iso's and it's how the game is played now.

I agree about how much Kobe should have been paid. I wouldn't have signed him for that much either.

Obviously, D'Antoni isn't going to be the Lakers coach, but they need a coach for beyond the next 2 years. I have no issues if they want to give Kobe some input, but they shouldn't hire a coach that is going to cater to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Driving home yesterday I heard a radio interview with Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers.
He is a very passionate and knowledgeable Laker fan.
He thinks/ wants Ollie.
I personally think it would be a great hire vs some retread.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driving home yesterday I heard a radio interview with Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers.
He is a very passionate and knowledgeable Laker fan.
He thinks/ wants Ollie.
I personally think it would be a great hire vs some retread.

:agree:

At first I was against the idea. But I've come around on Ollie. From what I've read and heard, he's popular among NBA players. He has only been out of the league for a couple of years, so he knows many of the current players and it seems that many would want to play for him.

Short of somehow prying Thibs from Chicago (not likely) or Pop from San Antonio (impossible), I think he should be the #1 target for the Lakers.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA should just hire Flea. It will be amusing to see a guy coach a game in his underwear.