• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Hurley welcome to the Lakers !

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a good move Trojan. No doubt.

I like it.

Obviously, he hasn't signed yet, so it's not a done deal and even if he does, there's no guarantee it'll work out.

From what is being reported, it's supposed to be a long term, guaranteed deal.

At the very least, the number of years and amount being offered makes it look like they may have finally figured out that changing coaches every 2 years isn't a great way to build a culture.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

Obviously, he hasn't signed yet, so it's not a done deal and even if he does, there's no guarantee it'll work out.

From what is being reported, it's supposed to be a long term, guaranteed deal.

At the very least, the number of years and amount being offered makes it look like they may have finally figured out that changing coaches every 2 years isn't a great way to build a culture.
Rule changes are going to make bird rights even more valuable. Developing talent with a few high pics as a starter are the model

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hire JJ man. May be the better nba coach and cheaper

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rightfully so, chances are he flips but.. just sayin.. It COULD work out.

If Hurley takes the Lakers job I can't say I want him to be successful.

There's something about the Purple 'n Gold that bothers me.

And I don't care what anyone says I say they cheated (pay the refs off) :heh: to win titles in '85, '87 and '10.

GO CELTICS!!!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because hiring former players on the cheap has worked so well for them?
College coaches track record isn’t good either. I’m not paying 100 mill for a coach with no nba experience

Kerr and Kidd is working out fine and if I’m not mistaken they both went straight to head coach as well. Hurley isn’t a slam dunk to be good in the nba so I don’t think he’s worth 100 million. I will take my chances with JJ if that’s the money you need to offer Hurley

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything for attention at this point and espn is their lap dog.

Yeah, because changing from what hasn't been working (hiring coaches on the cheap and firing them 2 years later) to actually making a long term commitment to a coach and paying him well so that he can stick around and have a chance to build a proper culture is clearly just being done for attention.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because changing from what hasn't been working (hiring coaches on the cheap and firing them 2 years later) to actually making a long term commitment to a coach and paying him well so that he can stick around and have a chance to build a proper culture is clearly just being done for attention.
Na I don’t blame them for that and it’s not their fault espn can’t cover the finals without spending the first hour of pregame talking about it. They can say they are turning the page all they want though, time will tell.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College coaches track record isn’t good either. I’m not paying 100 mill for a coach with no nba experience

Sooner or later they were going to have to commit long term to someone. At least it's someone who has been successful everywhere he's been, who is known for developing players and who NBA coaches have met with to learn his offense.

Hiring JJ on a shorter, cheaper deal would basically be doing what they've been doing since Phil retired and why they have changed coaches every 2 years since then.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Na I don’t blame them for that and it’s not their fault espn can’t cover the finals without spending the first hour of pregame talking about it. They can say they are turning the page all they want though, time will tell.

Yep, the Lakers don't control their own coverage. They're the leagues "glamour franchise" so they're getting covered no matter what. When they're good all the media wants to talk about is how good they are and when they're bad it's "what's wrong with the Lakers and how do they fix it?".

Even as a Lakers fan, it gets fucking tedious at times. I agree with Barkley's complaints about the coverage...I didn't want to hear about the Lakers and Dan Hurley, I'd been hearing about that all day. That's what local sports talk is for. I wanted to hear about the Celtics and Mavs.

Not sure how that gets changed though.

As for Hurley, we'll see if he actually signs. If he does, then we'll see if it works. I've been saying they need to commit to a coach long term since they fired Luke. Not gonna complain now that they finally appear to be doing just that.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One an unrelated topic for a moment.

Anyone else watching the NCAA track & field championships?

Yesterday a kid from Penn State & Nebraska each won titles. Go BigTen! They need a conference name change.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well
Sooner or later they were going to have to commit long term to someone. At least it's someone who has been successful everywhere he's been, who is known for developing players and who NBA coaches have met with to learn his offense.

Hiring JJ on a shorter, cheaper deal would basically be doing what they've been doing since Phil retired and why they have changed coaches every 2 years since then.
saw somewhere that Hurley might turn it down

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well

saw somewhere that Hurley might turn it down

He might. From what has been said he's an "East Coast guy".

Dan Patrick interviewed him a while back and asked him under what circumstances he might leave UConn...he said either burnout or "somewhere down the road" maybe the challenge of the NBA.

Unless the Lakers hold him hostage until he signs, UConn will get a chance to offer him an extension. As a state school, it's highly unlikely that they will be able to match the Lakers offer. But if they can get in the neighborhood of it...he may decide the NBA can wait.

On the other hand, that's Spo/Pop level money and would be tough to walk away from and may not be there next time around.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might. From what has been said he's an "East Coast guy".

Dan Patrick interviewed him a while back and asked him under what circumstances he might leave UConn...he said either burnout or "somewhere down the road" maybe the challenge of the NBA.

Unless the Lakers hold him hostage until he signs, UConn will get a chance to offer him an extension. As a state school, it's highly unlikely that they will be able to match the Lakers offer. But if they can get in the neighborhood of it...he may decide the NBA can wait.

On the other hand, that's Spo/Pop level money and would be tough to walk away from and may not be there next time around.
They said his preferred job would be the Knicks but don’t see thibs leaving anytime soon

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said his preferred job would be the Knicks but don’t see thibs leaving anytime soon

Interestingly, Dan Patrick did an interview with Geno Auriemma either Thursday or Friday. He and Dan Hurley were at an event of some sort and Geno leaned over to him and said "You could win a lot of championships with the Lakers" and Hurley just smiled and they both kind of laughed. Then the Woj bomb drops a day or so later. lol.

Geno swore he had no idea that Hurley and the Lakers were planning to meet.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Hurley meeting with the team today

We should know shortly

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the Lakers don't control their own coverage. They're the leagues "glamour franchise" so they're getting covered no matter what. When they're good all the media wants to talk about is how good they are and when they're bad it's "what's wrong with the Lakers and how do they fix it?".

Even as a Lakers fan, it gets fucking tedious at times. I agree with Barkley's complaints about the coverage...I didn't want to hear about the Lakers and Dan Hurley, I'd been hearing about that all day. That's what local sports talk is for. I wanted to hear about the Celtics and Mavs.

Not sure how that gets changed though.

As for Hurley, we'll see if he actually signs. If he does, then we'll see if it works. I've been saying they need to commit to a coach long term since they fired Luke. Not gonna complain now that they finally appear to be doing just that.
Lakers are part of the face of the NBA. Always will be.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Hurley meeting with the team today

We should know shortly
It’s a smart move and while I don’t like it from a green standpoint it’s going to be good for the league