• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Damar Hamlin improvement

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The brain was more of a concern than the lungs. So happy he's responsive.

Well, the brain suffers damage after about 2 minutes without oxygen or blood pumping. The medics were out there super fast and performing CPR and pumping oxygen in him. His brain is probably okay as a result.. it was more about the heart and/or other conditions. If you're going to collapse like that, doing it on a football field with ambulances/paramedics at the ready is probably the best place to do it...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way he shouldn't.

Should or shouldn't? Assuming you're responding to my last sentence. "No way he should." with regards to not playing. Not being a dick, might just be a word mixup in my mind lol.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The brain was more of a concern than the lungs. So happy he's responsive.

Yes and no. Whenever there is a cardiac arrest, there usually is major lung damage (that can kill just as easily) from the high concentrations of oxygen given and the physical damage from CPR. But it is hard to know how big a factor that plays simply because of how unusual it is for a person to survive what Hamlin just survived.

That is how big of a deal this is. If a person's heart stops like Hamlin's did, only 1 person out of 10 survive long enough to have a follow up study.

Read that 1 out of 10 odds again, have a tear come to your eye and then give a big tip of the hat to the people on the field and the people working in that Cinci hospital. I wouldn't say this was a miracle outcome.....but it sure as hell was unlikely.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th round pick, nearly $4M on signing, wow - didn't realize it was that high these days. Set for life if he's smart, I can't imagine he'll play after this.
As an FYI, Pronger had this happen in 1998.
Took a slap shot to the chest.
Had to be revived on the ice.
Went to the hospital.

Got cleared 2 days later and actually played.
I believe he played 12 more seasons and is in the HOF.

Not saying this is similar, but I was pretty amazed when I read about it.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. Whenever there is a cardiac arrest, there usually is major lung damage (that can kill just as easily) from the high concentrations of oxygen given and the physical damage from CPR. But it is hard to know how big a factor that plays simply because of how unusual it is for a person to survive what Hamlin just survived.

That is how big of a deal this is. If a person's heart stops like Hamlin's did, only 1 person out of 10 survive long enough to have a follow up study.

Read that 1 out of 10 odds again, have a tear come to your eye and then give a big tip of the hat to the people on the field and the people working in that Cinci hospital. I wouldn't say this was a miracle outcome.....but it sure as hell was unlikely.

He technically passed away on the field and then at the hospital. I'm far from a praying type. But moments like this makes me rethink.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing stories Hamlin may have had a Commotio-cordis episode. Have not seen this posted here yet... if was, sorry for repetition.

Commotio-cordis

“Commotio cordis is related to ventricular fibrillation, when the heart completely stops,” explains Matthew Martinez, M.D., F.A.C.C., director of sports cardiology and co-director at the Chanin T. Mast Center for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy at Morristown Medical Center in the Atlantic Health System. “It’s the result of a traumatic chest-wall impact.”

While it's more common among young athletes, especially baseball players that might get hit with a ball, it’s a very rare condition, with only about two dozen cases reported every year. And, it doesn’t just happen in sports—any blow to the chest that occurs at a specific time and lands in just the right place can trigger commotio cordis.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fify!

Glad he's pulling out of it!

Got some sources that he was reading Sportshoopla prior to running onto the field... Could be...

Course I read the Hoop all the time and I'm fine...

giphy.gif

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He technically passed away on the field and then at the hospital. I'm far from a praying type. But moments like this makes me rethink.

I'm the exact same way.

Always makes me think of the phrase "There are no atheists in Foxholes".

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad he's gonna make it, and no, he should never play again.

He's alive because of the immediate action by the response team on the field. It's that first few minutes that are critical.