• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sunday Night Football: Dallas @ San Francisco 8:20 pm EST NBC

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it's a no without looking it up
wasnt Shannahan the Coach during Matt Ryans MVP year?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well...if this continues with the best record in football and all. Purdy is league MVP.

AND...I think Purdy staying healthy rates higher towards this years team goal than McCafferty.

shocking for some I'm sure.
I agree. If they have to play Sam Darnold for any amount of time, I think it could derail things a bit. Will still be one of the top teams but likely, he will make mistakes that cost them big games vs. teams like the Eagles. CMC is a huge weapon but Shanahan can scheme up things to make a lot of RBs look really good. Maybe not McCaffery level but enough to win a lot of games,

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scheme could be to blame for Purdy's injury, but I don't think so for Jimmy's injuries.

In 2018, Jimmy tore his ACL in week 3 trying to fight for yardage instead of going out of bounds. The next year, Jimmy started 16 games.

In 2020, he only started half dozen or so games b/c of a recurring high ankle sprain that IIRC he didn't get in the pocket. However, the next year, he started 15 games.

In 2022, the Purdy year, he started 10 or 11 games before he broke his ankle when he was hip-drop tackled, again while trying to run for yardage outside the pocket.

Jimmy is not a runner and he seemed to keep getting hurt while trying to be one.
Exactly. And when Jimmy played every game in 2019, they went to the SB. And Trey Lance broke his ankle on a QB run as well. It's only the Purdy injury that happened because of scheme.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak looked his best when Kitna was the QB coach IMO. He was the one to have him focus on the technical aspect of being a QB - arm angle, footwork during release, spending practice in his head helping him process with what he saw From the defense each play. How is it no one can get the simple point across to him that when you are within 2 yards of the LOS and outside the pocket all you need to do is spike the ball forward even once grabbed. all you have to do inside the 10 is throw it out of the back of the end zone. It’s the simple things that can make a big difference in the outcome of games And it’s the details and discipline where this team in lacking And the penalties on both sides of the ball every game highlight this as well.

I think once he lost a little bit of his athletic ability whether from putting on a little weight or from the injuries or just from aging, it made a lot of things harder for him, but his biggest problem has always been recognizing the defenders in the area of the receiver who are closing in But not in the picture when he decides to throw. This is why he is much better against man coverage.

There is so many things I like about Dak but there was this one thing I keep noticing.
He has not developed any poise at all in the pocket. He is just a nervous nelly and always looks like he is completely out of breath.

Now this is a ridiculous comparison but a couple of years back I'm watching a 43 year old Brady march down the field ..just after the 10th play or so the camera zooms in on Brady.
The guy looks like he is walking down the produce Isle at the Supermarket ...he is a cool as a cucumber with a heartbeat below 60 per minute.

This is something that Dak will never have if he has not developed it by now. And Ironically this is the very thing that Purdy developed instantly by all accounts.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so many things I like about Dak but there was this one thing I keep noticing.
He has not developed any poise at all in the pocket. He is just a nervous nelly and always looks like he is completely out of breath.

Now this is a ridiculous comparison but a couple of years back I'm watching a 43 year old Brady march down the field ..just after the 10th play or so the camera zooms in on Brady.
The guy looks like he is walking down the produce Isle at the Supermarket ...he is a cool as a cucumber with a heartbeat below 60 per minute.

This is something that Dak will never have if he has not developed it by now. And Ironically this is the very thing that Purdy developed instantly by all accounts.

Kinda like Kirk Cousins, imo. Can make all the plays and put up the stats and even win a lot of games but under pressure, can make mistakes due to panicking a little. The great ones never seem to panic out there.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda like Kirk Cousins, imo. Can make all the plays and put up the stats and even win a lot of games but under pressure, can make mistakes due to panicking a little. The great ones never seem to panic out there.
very true...must explain the 4th round selection. He is what he is.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdy had it in college. So did Brady. Scouts are blind to QB attributes besides height and arm.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy had it in college. So did Brady. Scouts are blind to QB attributes besides height and arm.
Scouts and GMs also get bamboozled by the hype much more than they let on. It seems like for every Peyton Manning, there are 3 or 4 Ryan Leafs year after year. And every now and then, someone sees an unknown and takes a flyer and hits gold. Hell, Purdy was basically Brian Griese seeing one game and just throwing his name out there for Shanahan and Lynch because they had no idea what to do with that last pick.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has not developed any poise at all in the pocket. He is just a nervous nelly
He also doesn't run like he used to. Not saying he should run 8-10 times a game but if a receiver isn't open? Rather than throw it out of bounds....or a pick....run and get 4-5 yards. Several times this season I have noticed where he could have gained some yards rather than just a wasted down.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also doesn't run like he used to. Not saying he should run 8-10 times a game but if a receiver isn't open? Rather than throw it out of bounds....or a pick....run and get 4-5 yards. Several times this season I have noticed where he could have gained some yards rather than just a wasted down.
He's fat and dumb. It's a bad combo.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot_20231012-075111~2.png
Oh My George Takai GIF

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouts and GMs also get bamboozled by the hype much more than they let on. It seems like for every Peyton Manning, there are 3 or 4 Ryan Leafs year after year. And every now and then, someone sees an unknown and takes a flyer and hits gold. Hell, Purdy was basically Brian Griese seeing one game and just throwing his name out there for Shanahan and Lynch because they had no idea what to do with that last pick.
I agree that scouts can get blinded by measurables and hype. There is such a huge element of luck with late picks like Purdy.

According to Matt Maiocco, of NBC Sports Bay Area, Steve Slowik was the area scout who initially brought Purdy to the attention of the team. He's now a pro scout. Griese and assistant QB coach, Klay Kubiak, were then given the assignments of evaluating the scouts' identified late-round quarterbacks, and both of them identified Purdy as well.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Dak being much more mobile as well. IIRC, From what I've read from cowboy fans, he stopped running as much after he hurt his ankle one season.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Dak being much more mobile as well. IIRC, From what I've read from cowboy fans, he stopped running as much after he hurt his ankle one season.
Yep....he used to be a lot more mobile. Couple times this season he could have run for 4-5 yards but chose to throw the ball out of bounds, once it resulted in a pick.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep....he used to be a lot more mobile. Couple times this season he could have run for 4-5 yards but chose to throw the ball out of bounds, once it resulted in a pick.
Personally, I am OK with the QB erring on the side of health In MOST situations. Putting your team’s season on the line for a contested 4 yards on 1st down just isn’t worth it.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I am OK with the QB erring on the side of health In MOST situations. Putting your team’s season on the line for a contested 4 yards on 1st down just isn’t worth it.
Run 4-5 yards and run out of bounds...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run 4-5 yards and run out of bounds...
Then the QB has delusions of grandeur and tries to get that 6th yard and blows out his ACL. Or the LBer doesn’t pull up and the QB gets a broken clavicle.

Again, I am not saying to throw it away EVERY time. If they are giving you 4, take the 4. Or if it is 4th quarter and it is 3rd-3, go for the 4. But 1st qtr, 1st-10, take 2 or throw it away. Don’t go for that extra 1 or 2 yards. No point.