• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavs

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster is taking shape, as I count 12 roster spots locked up and 8 guys fighting it out for the last 3 spots; Brandon Ashley, Jarrid Famous, Maurice Ndour, Jamil Wilson, Salah Mejri, Satnam Singh, Raymond Felton & John Jenkins

C- Pachulia, Dalembert
PF- Dirk, Charlie V., Powell
SF- Parsons, Anderson
SG- Matthews, Evans
PG- DWill, Harris, JJ

Probably want one of the other centers to pair with Dalembert & Pachulia and another wing to make it, so that bodes well for one of; Famous, Mejri, or Singh at center and then maybe Jenkins at SG

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavericks sign free-agent center JaVale McGee to two-year deal

During the 2012-13 season, JaVale McGee had a solid backup role for the Denver Nuggets. On a team that won 57 games in the regular season, McGee was the big man off the bench hoping to provide some game-changing moments. The following season, he played just five games because of a stress fracture in his left tibia and his career has been derailed ever since.

After going all summer dangling out there on the free-agent market, McGee finally has a home again. The Dallas Mavericks announced they've signed the big man. Marc Stein of ESPN.com says the contract is two years at the veteran's minimum with a team option for the second season.

The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed free agent center JaVale McGee. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Over his career, McGee averages 15.2 points, 10.0 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per 36 minutes. However, he doesn't appear to have the focus or the consistency to keep earning minutes on the court. The trust between he and his coaches hasn't always been there, whether he's in Washington, Denver or Philadelphia. During this past season, he was dealt at the deadline with a protected first-round pick to the Sixers.

This adds some needed depth to the interior of the Mavs. Dallas expects to start Zaza Pachulia at center with Samuel Dalembert, Jeremy Evans, Dwight Powell, Charlie Villanueva, Maurice N'Dour, and Brandon Ashley all fighting for minutes in the frontcourt. McGee's talent alone should give him the best shot at earning those minutes, but he'll have to earn the trust of Rick Carlisle on the court before that actually happens.

The Sixers waived him in March and still owe him $12 million for this coming season.

070415_vale.jpg
Mavs deal with JaVale McGee is two years. (USATSI

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavericks sign free-agent center JaVale McGee to two-year deal

During the 2012-13 season, JaVale McGee had a solid backup role for the Denver Nuggets. On a team that won 57 games in the regular season, McGee was the big man off the bench hoping to provide some game-changing moments. The following season, he played just five games because of a stress fracture in his left tibia and his career has been derailed ever since.

After going all summer dangling out there on the free-agent market, McGee finally has a home again. The Dallas Mavericks announced they've signed the big man. Marc Stein of ESPN.com says the contract is two years at the veteran's minimum with a team option for the second season.

The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed free agent center JaVale McGee. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Over his career, McGee averages 15.2 points, 10.0 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per 36 minutes. However, he doesn't appear to have the focus or the consistency to keep earning minutes on the court. The trust between he and his coaches hasn't always been there, whether he's in Washington, Denver or Philadelphia. During this past season, he was dealt at the deadline with a protected first-round pick to the Sixers.

This adds some needed depth to the interior of the Mavs. Dallas expects to start Zaza Pachulia at center with Samuel Dalembert, Jeremy Evans, Dwight Powell, Charlie Villanueva, Maurice N'Dour, and Brandon Ashley all fighting for minutes in the frontcourt. McGee's talent alone should give him the best shot at earning those minutes, but he'll have to earn the trust of Rick Carlisle on the court before that actually happens.

The Sixers waived him in March and still owe him $12 million for this coming season.

View attachment 19605
Mavs deal with JaVale McGee is two years. (USATSI

Barring an unforeseen issue McGee will probably be the 3rd center, so I would say that's 13 spots, still 8 people fighting for 2 spots

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban's never going to tank, they'll be competitive but the playoffs are still going to be a struggle this year, probably an 7-8 seed at best

Ill take playoffs and a potential early out vs. how it looked a while back.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just spinning our wheels then, maybe once Dirk retires he'll see the plus side in having a bad season and actually using your draft picks for players that will play for the team in a prominent role

But yes, based on how it started the front office did a good job of cobbling together a roster, should be an interesting season

Maybe Matthews and Parsons will be pushed along slowly and the Mavs will be just bad enough to actually get a lottery pick and maybe they get lucky in the draft....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on this, big time. The Sixers have had top 10 picks for 20 years.....how's that working out?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on this, big time. The Sixers have had top 10 picks for 20 years.....how's that working out?

You picked out the worst - by far - team at drafting, coaching, evaluating, etc.

The Mavs drafted and honed Dirk. How'd this work out?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spinning our wheels then, maybe once Dirk retires he'll see the plus side in having a bad season and actually using your draft picks for players that will play for the team in a prominent role

But yes, based on how it started the front office did a good job of cobbling together a roster, should be an interesting season

Maybe Matthews and Parsons will be pushed along slowly and the Mavs will be just bad enough to actually get a lottery pick and maybe they get lucky in the draft....

Yes or they could be a couple other injuries away from a lottery pick as well. Anything can happen, I guess.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You picked out the worst - by far - team at drafting, coaching, evaluating, etc.

The Mavs drafted and honed Dirk. How'd this work out?
They made a great trade to get Dirk, the best player in Mav's history. But the other guy who deserves the most credit is Cuban. How was your suck and draft high plan working out till Cuban got here??

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made a great trade to get Dirk, the best player in Mav's history. But the other guy who deserves the most credit is Cuban. How was your suck and draft high plan working out till Cuban got here??

There was no such plan. None which I remember anyway. We just sucked b/c we didn't know what we were doing, and had a very poor owner (Carter) who was clueless about assembling an organization.

Name which top 10 team right now hasn't at least one top notch player which they didn't draft.

And don't ignore the fact of how they got Dirk to begin with. It was due to trading draft picks.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no such plan. None which I remember anyway. We just sucked b/c we didn't know what we were doing, and had a very poor owner (Carter) who was clueless about assembling an organization.

Name which top 10 team right now hasn't at least one top notch player which they didn't draft.

And don't ignore the fact of how they got Dirk to begin with. It was due to trading draft picks.
Reloading every year around Dirk has not only kept the Mav's in the playoffs for 15 years, it brought the franchise's only Championship, and should have won a 2nd. They had Jordan inked, a young player that was better than anyone they could have gotten in the draft. I'm fine with the way they are doing business

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reloading every year around Dirk has not only kept the Mav's in the playoffs for 15 years, it brought the franchise's only Championship, and should have won a 2nd. They had Jordan inked, a young player that was better than anyone they could have gotten in the draft. I'm fine with the way they are doing business

Look at the team's who have been winning championships lately. They all have a strong connection to the draft. Draymond Green was drafted in the second round, I think Curry and Thompson were in the top 5-10 picks range. You don't necessarily need a #1 overall pick, but if you get a top 10 pick and have a smart front office, your team will get a good player who will be cheap for a long time and give you something to build around.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the team's who have been winning championships lately. They all have a strong connection to the draft. Draymond Green was drafted in the second round, I think Curry and Thompson were in the top 5-10 picks range. You don't necessarily need a #1 overall pick, but if you get a top 10 pick and have a smart front office, your team will get a good player who will be cheap for a long time and give you something to build around.
So what, you want to tank in one of the last years that Dirk is effective to get a top 10 pick? First of all, that would be totally unfair to Dirk. I doubt he would be playing for pennies on the dollar if the plan was to win 30 games so we could draft Trey Lyles...

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what, you want to tank in one of the last years that Dirk is effective to get a top 10 pick? First of all, that would be totally unfair to Dirk. I doubt he would be playing for pennies on the dollar if the plan was to win 30 games so we could draft Trey Lyles...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mavs tank this year. More wins for SAS. I'm not a Mavs fan, but given the failure of the Mavericks organization to attract top talent year after year. I'd say the root of the problem is Dirk, the Mavs are forced to try to compete every year to do right by one man. Dirk is a player who will undoubtedly have his jersey # retired, go into the hall of fame, and be remembered as one of the all time greats. With that said, the presence of Dirk is delaying the inevitable. The Mavericks appear to be on the dreaded " treadmill of mediocrity" in the NBA. The NBA is what I would call an all or nothing league. You want your team to be in one of two groups: your team should be competing for a championship or losing as much as possible to get the ability to draft the next Lebron James.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You've got a bad case of Dirk-on-the-Brain. Look, everyone loves Dirk. But calling him an effective player is beyond nonsense. He couldn't start for the top teams in the Western Division.

His % shooting was the lowest last yr since 2005, expect for the injury year of 2011. And he shot much worse as the season wore on. His defense, which was never good to begin with, is now nonexistent. He can't guard anyone at any position, on his best night.

Unfair to Dirk? Dirk and Cuban have been unfair to Dirk for refusing to trade him two years ago when he had true value, could have brought back a lot, plus given him a chance to win another ring. Something he'll never see, at least while he's still in sneakers, again. All this Mav for life was not fair to anyone, except fans like you, who seemed to have blinders on when it comes to the big German.

Dirk will always be a Maverick (pretty obvious now for sure), but we could and should have moved him for the benefit of the organization when we/he had the chance. After all, this is first a business and secondly a team sport. Now we'll be battling for 7th place, and if successful at this, be gone shortly in the playoffs. But somehow to you, this is better than regrouping and building something toward the future.

And you're just going to insist on bringing up the worst case draft scenario out there (Trey Lyles) aren't ya? How about the kid named Leonard that one of the best franchises in NBA history figured out a way to get?

We're not ever going to get on the same page regarding this. You're happy having a fair team, going nowhere, and I'm not. So be it.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got a bad case of Dirk-on-the-Brain. Look, everyone loves Dirk. But calling him an effective player is beyond nonsense. He couldn't start for the top teams in the Western Division.

His % shooting was the lowest last yr since 2005, expect for the injury year of 2011. And he shot much worse as the season wore on. His defense, which was never good to begin with, is now nonexistent. He can't guard anyone at any position, on his best night.

Unfair to Dirk? Dirk and Cuban have been unfair to Dirk for refusing to trade him two years ago when he had true value, could have brought back a lot, plus given him a chance to win another ring. Something he'll never see, at least while he's still in sneakers, again. All this Mav for life was not fair to anyone, except fans like you, who seemed to have blinders on when it comes to the big German.

Dirk will always be a Maverick (pretty obvious now for sure), but we could and should have moved him for the benefit of the organization when we/he had the chance. After all, this is first a business and secondly a team sport. Now we'll be battling for 7th place, and if successful at this, be gone shortly in the playoffs. But somehow to you, this is better than regrouping and building something toward the future.

And you're just going to insist on bringing up the worst case draft scenario out there (Trey Lyles) aren't ya? How about the kid named Leonard that one of the best franchises in NBA history figured out a way to get?

We're not ever going to get on the same page regarding this. You're happy having a fair team, going nowhere, and I'm not. So be it.
I stopped reading at Dirk couldn't start.....

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some people just have blinders on when it comes to Dirk. And I truly understand it. Great guy, great player, and a credit to mankind, which I mean sincerely.

But basketball is a business, and I come from the Jimmy Johnson school-of-thought which is, "much better to trade a man a year too early as a year too late." Now no-one but us wants Dirk, nor would they give us much even if they had interest.

Can you name me a team which was in true competition last year for the championship which didn't have at least one, key first rounder on their roster?