• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavs

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Cuban told Matthews that they would give him what was left over after the Jordan deal. That was the agreement. After Jordan screwed us it left Mark with his own ethical decision. I don't think the ethical decision he made was a good basketball decision.

Mark Cuban on Cyberdust just said that we will not be tanking. Cuban has to say that now so season-ticket holders don't back out. We are going to lose without trying to tank. They're going to be bad. Especially when Parsons and Matthews do not start the season. After trading our 2nd pick for ZaZa, trading our other for Rondo, it appears we will not be drafting anyone next year.

:sadbron:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of people questioning if Matthews would be worth this deal, even if healthy. And he's a big question mark in that arena for now.

Frankly, I said two years ago the best way for the Mavs to move forward was to trade Dirk. I know most find this distasteful at best. But it appears to me anyway, Cuban has spent too much time and energy worrying about how to build around Dirk during his swan song, that's he forgotten the team should have been his first priority to begin with. Not worrying 100% about how to keep Dirk as a MFL nonsense.

Again, this is just my opinion, but he should have gone to Dirk and told him he HAD TO MOVE ON and try to win a championship somewhere else. Give Dirk/agent the flexibility to see who and what was available if a trade was in the offing, and reload.

Dirk will always be a Maverick. Regardless if he played a few seasons somewhere else or not. We're gonna retire his number, probably build a stature in his honor when he hangs em up anyway.

As for me, I won't need a blindfold for the firing squad, so go ahead and get it over with please.

If Dirk didn't have a very team friendly deal, I'd agree. If he wanted max money, he wouldn't be here. But for what he gives us, I'm not sure who we could find to replace him for less money. It's not just his game on the floor, it's the leadership on and off the floor.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly Cuban told Matthews that they would give him what was left over after the Jordan deal. That was the agreement. After Jordan screwed us it left Mark with his own ethical decision. I don't think the ethical decision he made was a good basketball decision.

Mark Cuban on Cyberdust just said that we will not be tanking. Cuban has to say that now so season-ticket holders don't back out. We are going to lose without trying to tank. They're going to be bad. Especially when Parsons and Matthews do not start the season. After trading our 2nd pick for ZaZa, trading our other for Rondo, it appears we will not be drafting anyone next year.

Do you know what 2nd we traded? I just read "future 2nd". We already gave our 1st and a 2nd next year to BOS. We had another 2nd from another team, and the trade with BOS was for the better of the two 2nd's that aren't in the top7. So we may still have a 2nd next year, or not.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're going to be pretty bad next year, Dirk will be worse, ZaZa is the move we needed to make just to have a center, he's a backup type, and we probably need another one, take a flier on a couple of the young big men out there and see if you catch magic in a bottle like we did with Aminu

Parsons and Matthews both probably miss the beginning of the year next year, and keep them out as long as possible

We don't really have much in the PG dept.,

We still might be top 6 bad worthy, since we play zero defense

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dirk didn't have a very team friendly deal, I'd agree. If he wanted max money, he wouldn't be here. But for what he gives us, I'm not sure who we could find to replace him for less money. It's not just his game on the floor, it's the leadership on and off the floor.

I agree with ya on the money, and how team friendly it is. However, what my thoughts were based on is what we "could have gotten back" for him in a trade scenario. But we'll never know b/c now, if he wanted out, he's not going to bring much back.

Like I said, I'm a huge Dirk fan. But if you don't win on the floor, at least to a degree, all the off court good will goes for nault.

Maybe I'm just looking at it with too hard a line. IDK

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya on the money, and how team friendly it is. However, what my thoughts were based on is what we "could have gotten back" for him in a trade scenario. But we'll never know b/c now, if he wanted out, he's not going to bring much back.

Like I said, I'm a huge Dirk fan. But if you don't win on the floor, at least to a degree, all the off court good will goes for nault.

Maybe I'm just looking at it with too hard a line. IDK
Dirk has a no trade clause and has stated he wants to finish his career as a Mav.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to be pretty bad next year, Dirk will be worse, ZaZa is the move we needed to make just to have a center, he's a backup type, and we probably need another one, take a flier on a couple of the young big men out there and see if you catch magic in a bottle like we did with Aminu

Parsons and Matthews both probably miss the beginning of the year next year, and keep them out as long as possible

We don't really have much in the PG dept.,

We still might be top 6 bad worthy, since we play zero defense
And one of the best things about ZaZa is we have him for just a year and then that money is freed up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk has a no trade clause and has stated he wants to finish his career as a Mav.

I understand this and know (have a decent idea anyway) of how his contract reads. But he didn't have this contract two years ago.

But we'll never know how he may have reacted to the potential conversation of, "you could go to team A, possible win a championship," or stay here while we have to rebuild. This is home Dirk, and you'll ALWAYS have a job/home with the Dallas Mavericks. If you care and love me/this organization as much as you say, you trying to win a championship in another uniform, may be exactly what is best for both of us.

Give me your best guess on what a contending team might have offered to acquire Dirk two years ago?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest reports have DWill pushing hard to secure his release from the Nets to come "home" and sign with the Mavs. Mavs want this too. Sooooo... let's suppose for a second that the Mavs get DWill, sign Josh Smith to be a 6th man, and then sign someone along the lines of Amare or similar for backup C, what would be the over/under for wins for this team:

PG- DWill/Harris/Barea/Felton
SG- Matthews/Anderson
SF- Parsons/Jefferson/Evans
PF- Nowitzki/J Smith/Villanueva
C- Pachulia/Free Agent/Powell

Obviously either Felton would be waived or Powell or Anderson would be sent to the D-League. And obviously the Center position would be weak. But how many wins does that team get?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest reports have DWill pushing hard to secure his release from the Nets to come "home" and sign with the Mavs. Mavs want this too. Sooooo... let's suppose for a second that the Mavs get DWill, sign Josh Smith to be a 6th man, and then sign someone along the lines of Amare or similar for backup C, what would be the over/under for wins for this team:

SG- Matthews/Anderson

Obviously either Felton would be waived or Powell or Anderson would be sent to the D-League. And obviously the Center position would be weak. But how many wins does that team get?

Too many and at the same time not enough

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4:13pm: The point guard’s buyout amount is expected to be in the $25-$30MM range, Stein tweets.

4:05pm: Williams is expected to sign a two-year deal with the Mavericks in the $10MM range after he clears waivers, Marc Stein of ESPN.com tweets.

4:01pm: The Nets and Williams have reached an agreement on a buyout arrangement, David Aldridge of TNT reports (on Twitter). The details of the agreement are not yet known.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4:13pm: The point guard’s buyout amount is expected to be in the $25-$30MM range, Stein tweets.

4:05pm: Williams is expected to sign a two-year deal with the Mavericks in the $10MM range after he clears waivers, Marc Stein of ESPN.com tweets.

4:01pm: The Nets and Williams have reached an agreement on a buyout arrangement, David Aldridge of TNT reports (on Twitter). The details of the agreement are not yet known.

I am okay with all of that at 5 mill pre year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SG- Matthews/Anderson

If they could sign Smith and a solid backup center, and provided Matthews plays 75% of the schedule and Dirk stays healthy(lot of if's), that is a 50-52 win team IMO

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could sign Smith and a solid backup center, and provided Matthews plays 75% of the schedule and Dirk stays healthy(lot of if's), that is a 50-52 win team IMO

Don't see that at all, also there are no decent backup centers to sign

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see that at all, also there are no decent backup centers to sign
There was no viable starting PG a couple of days ago....speculation was Jeremy Lin...pretty sharp bunch running the Mavs, I wouldn't underestimate them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no viable starting PG a couple of days ago....speculation was Jeremy Lin...pretty sharp bunch running the Mavs, I wouldn't underestimate them.

Pressing your luck there, and Deron Williams was no huge score, there's a reason he was bought out and signed for so little, he's not as good as people remember from a few years ago

Also, him being bought out has nothing to do with our front office being a sharp bunch

Maybe he has a renaissance in Dallas, but I wouldn't get my hopes up

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pressing your luck there, and Deron Williams was no huge score, there's a reason he was bought out and signed for so little, he's not as good as people remember from a few years ago

Also, him being bought out has nothing to do with our front office being a sharp bunch

Maybe he has a renaissance in Dallas, but I wouldn't get my hopes up
We'll see. I say 50 either way. Put up a number and revisit after season. I'm confident in their track record

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I say 50 either way. Put up a number and revisit after season. I'm confident in their track record

I'd rather Matthews gone elsewhere, they not signed Williams or bother with Smith actually, if they make the playoffs its as an 8 seed, they're not good, I was ok with the ZaZa move b/c they desperately needed a center and probably another to be honest

But they'll manage to be just god enough now to lose their 1st round pick to the Celtics now and the have nothing to show for it