• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavs

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO NO NO. He doesn't help us at all this year, except win a few games that we don't need to win.

Kings, Mavs Interested In Josh Smith

July 9th at 1:56pm CST by Chuck Myron
The Kings have a “very strong” interest in Josh Smith, league sources tell Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee (Twitter links), and the Mavs are in play for him, too, as Michael Scotto of SheridanHoops hears (Twitter link). Still, while six teams have shown interest, “nothing of substance” is in the works for Smith, a source tells Jake Fischer of SI Now (Twitter link), whose report came after the Mavs news but before the report on the Kings. Fischer last week reported that the Kings would soon begin talks with the client of Brian Dyke and Wallace Prather.

Smith has reportedly held mutual interest in re-signing with the Rockets, and he enjoys playing for Kevin McHale, notes Calvin Watkins of ESPN.com (on Twitter). Still, the Rockets have only Non-Bird rights on the forward who signed at midseason, meaning they can only give him $2,492,400, a 20% raise on the $2.077MM he saw in 2014/15, without clearing cap space or raiding the mid-level exception.

The Clippers and Smith also reportedly had mutual interest, though that surfaced before DeAndre Jordan flipped from his decision to sign with the Mavs to recommit to the Clippers instead. Thus, the Clippers only have the minimum salary to offer. The Mavs have loads of cap room that they were to spend on Jordan, while the Kings have roughly $7MM in cap space.

I agree with you 100%. This does nothing but forfeit a draft pick and put off the inevitable rebuild another year.

But I think as long as the Mavs have Dirk, Cuban won't be able to bring himself to tank. He's probably thinking that if he can get a few spare parts like Josh Smith together and maybe even luck into a semi-decent big man like Kanter, Hibbert, Koufos, etc., that maybe the Mavs can sneak into the playoffs and get lucky. Then maybe get lucky next offseason and lure a big name to Dallas with their crazy cap space.

It's a fool's dream, but I'm guessing that's what Cuban is going for. There would be no reason at all to bring guys like Josh Smith on board if your true mission is to tank.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now its a max deal for Wesley Matthews. A second tier player at best coming off a torn achilles? The Mavs got screwed royally by Jordan but man their front office has got to be one of the dumbest in the NBA. A max deal for THAT guy? WTF are they thinking?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now its a max deal for Wesley Matthews. A second tier player at best coming off a torn achilles? The Mavs got screwed royally by Jordan but man their front office has got to be one of the dumbest in the NBA. A max deal for THAT guy? WTF are they thinking?

It's similar to offering a #3 starter coming off tommy john 100 million dollars.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you 100%. This does nothing but forfeit a draft pick and put off the inevitable rebuild another year.

But I think as long as the Mavs have Dirk, Cuban won't be able to bring himself to tank. He's probably thinking that if he can get a few spare parts like Josh Smith together and maybe even luck into a semi-decent big man like Kanter, Hibbert, Koufos, etc., that maybe the Mavs can sneak into the playoffs and get lucky. Then maybe get lucky next offseason and lure a big name to Dallas with their crazy cap space.

It's a fool's dream, but I'm guessing that's what Cuban is going for. There would be no reason at all to bring guys like Josh Smith on board if your true mission is to tank.

Koufos is a back up center IMO. Hibbert to L.A. has been finalized. Kanter is a good C, who's young, but the Blazers have already put in a max offer that sources say the Thunder will match. I don't think the Mavs even have that much left.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban is trying to save face. :L

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5:40pm: Matthews’ deal is now for the max, at four years and about $70MM, TNT’s David Aldridge tweets, since DeAndre Jordan pulled his about-face and signed with the Clippers.

It just keeps getting worse. Instead of 4/57 its up to 70 now.

Its all like a bad fucking dream really

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all like a bad fucking dream really

Go Stars.

Between David Stern and the refs fixing the 2006 NBA Finals, the Mavs brain trust making gaffe after gaffe, and the sheer amount of scumbags who play in the NBA, I had just about completely written off pro basketball. The only reason I still watched was for Dirk. But this offseason's nonsense might just be the nail in the coffin for me. I've always liked hockey better anyway.

Seriously. Go Stars.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Stars.

Between David Stern and the refs fixing the 2006 NBA Finals, the Mavs brain trust making gaffe after gaffe, and the sheer amount of scumbags who play in the NBA, I had just about completely written off pro basketball. The only reason I still watched was for Dirk. But this offseason's nonsense might just be the nail in the coffin for me. I've always liked hockey better anyway.

Seriously. Go Stars.

Yeah I would rather see bad goaltending and poor defense, all day, than watch what is going to be the Mavs seasons the next few years. It is highly likely to be, almost impossible to watch.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Stars.

Seriously. Go Stars.

I survived Mavs basketball of the early 90s, I can take this

Hopefully after a season like this is the realization we need someone worth a shit in the front office, Donnie Nelson is garbage

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I survived Mavs basketball of the early 90s, I can take this

Hopefully after a season like this is the realization we need someone worth a shit in the front office, Donnie Nelson is garbage
I won't argue there. His draft history alone speaks for itself.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the Matthew deal was to stay above some salary floor or make it less obvious we are going for the worst record in the NBA, I just don't get that. Don't increase it to max, and if he wants to leave because of it...great. Saves us money for next year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the Matthew deal was to stay above some salary floor or make it less obvious we are going for the worst record in the NBA, I just don't get that. Don't increase it to max, and if he wants to leave because of it...great. Saves us money for next year.

There are a lot of people questioning if Matthews would be worth this deal, even if healthy. And he's a big question mark in that arena for now.

Frankly, I said two years ago the best way for the Mavs to move forward was to trade Dirk. I know most find this distasteful at best. But it appears to me anyway, Cuban has spent too much time and energy worrying about how to build around Dirk during his swan song, that's he forgotten the team should have been his first priority to begin with. Not worrying 100% about how to keep Dirk as a MFL nonsense.

Again, this is just my opinion, but he should have gone to Dirk and told him he HAD TO MOVE ON and try to win a championship somewhere else. Give Dirk/agent the flexibility to see who and what was available if a trade was in the offing, and reload.

Dirk will always be a Maverick. Regardless if he played a few seasons somewhere else or not. We're gonna retire his number, probably build a stature in his honor when he hangs em up anyway.

As for me, I won't need a blindfold for the firing squad, so go ahead and get it over with please.