• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D-Backs want out of Chase Field lease?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading that they want upgrades done to the stadium but they never say what upgrades.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading that they want upgrades done to the stadium but they never say what upgrades.

Yeah, I'm curious what upgrades they are talking about. I haven't been there in a few years (that will change this year now that they have made a legit effort to compete), but can't recall walking out of there thinking "man this place is a dump, they have got to upgrade X, Y and Z".

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed they would wait till 2020 or so before they started angling for a new smaller ball park.

We all know how cheap Maricopa county & Arizona can be. If they aren't going pay for the upkeep & maintenance because "they don't have the money", the team is well within it's rights to seek relief from the contract by either canceling it or lower the yearly lease payment.

Personally, I find Chase to still be a pretty nice ball park & viable for another 8-10 years or so. They could always renovate chase for the Suns & Coyotes...

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The upgrades are from a study the County had done to see what it is going to cost to keep the stadium in shape and modern until the end of the existing contract. The amount of money it will take came from that study.

Example:
In July last year during a game with SF, there was a major monsoon storm which was dumping a lot of rain and one of the spots in the roof started to leak was directly over the Pitchers mound. I was actually kind of funny since there were no other leaks around in infield except directly on the head of the pitcher.

Chase Field springs leak after heavy rain, soaks pitcher during Diamondbacks-Giants game

There are other areas where the roof needs to be fixed along with scoreboard fixes, and other areas.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The upgrades are from a study the County had done to see what it is going to cost to keep the stadium in shape and modern until the end of the existing contract. The amount of money it will take came from that study.

Example:
In July last year during a game with SF, there was a major monsoon storm which was dumping a lot of rain and one of the spots in the roof started to leak was directly over the Pitchers mound. I was actually kind of funny since there were no other leaks around in infield except directly on the head of the pitcher.

Chase Field springs leak after heavy rain, soaks pitcher during Diamondbacks-Giants game

There are other areas where the roof needs to be fixed along with scoreboard fixes, and other areas.

Good example. That definitely needs a fix ASAP. The good news is it only rains like 3 times here during the MLB season.