• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chase watch

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbit I picked up when reading through why a deal did not come together.

They were good on the Money (I think it came out to $1M more a year than Jefferson) but Chase was stuck on 3 years. Bengals on 4.

And the big part - there were cash flow concerns. That tells me that the Bengals were concerned with the escrow amount of the guarantee.

This is going to be a HUGE issues going forward as guarantees continue to rise. The Bengals may have voted against private equity, but they are going to have to find someone and allow them to invest if they want to be able to sign high level guys and remain competitive. Selling used TV's ain't going to get it done. Naming rights only go so far. Whether the Bengals like it, or not, they are in a dire position with cash flow and fluidity and will require an influx of investment cash.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbit I picked up when reading through why a deal did not come together.

They were good on the Money (I think it came out to $1M more a year than Jefferson) but Chase was stuck on 3 years. Bengals on 4.

And the big part - there were cash flow concerns. That tells me that the Bengals were concerned with the escrow amount of the guarantee.

This is going to be a HUGE issues going forward as guarantees continue to rise. The Bengals may have voted against private equity, but they are going to have to find someone and allow them to invest if they want to be able to sign high level guys and remain competitive. Selling used TV's ain't going to get it done. Naming rights only go so far. Whether the Bengals like it, or not, they are in a dire position with cash flow and fluidity and will require an influx of investment cash.
I heard the same rumor on Saturday. But, given my last rumor was wrong, I didn't want to make much of it. A three year extension doesn't make sense for the Bengals. They already have contract control for the next three years, for a total dollar figure that will be somewhere around 50 million when all said and done. Adding another two seasons to that for another 90ish million doesn't make much sense.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I will mention - In Burrow's first two years, the Bengals owed 100 million dollars in cash with another 35 million in escrow for bonuses. They just paid the second 50 million roster bonus this season and only have 35 million left on the bonuses..... So, it's at least somewhat understandable that they find themselves cash poor at the moment. They've built up their revenue streams, but I'm sure they don't have a big nest egg. I always figured they were going to do Chase's deal next offseason after having some time to create more revenue..... That's why I was surprised by Chase's comments that the Bengals approached him.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals don't need to sign players to huge contracts just to miss the playoffs again. they can do that on the cheap.

and they know this.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals don't need to sign players to huge contracts just to miss the playoffs again. they can do that on the cheap.

and they know this.
They've been far more than not, and likely go last year if not for Burrow...

They also don't have issues with signing guys like Burrow or Chase, but there are some real-life issues with a privately owned team that isn't backed by an owner that is already worth Billions.

I also happen to think that the Bengals are right on this contract - they should not agree to a 3 year extension considering that they are willing to sign him 2 years early. That's well before they usually entertain contract extension talks. They are rumored to give him the money he was looking for but cash flow was cited as an issue, and the years don't match. Considering the Bengals still have '24, '25, and '26 of control over Chase - I think Chase needed to be way more flexible than the Bengals. Hell, they could double tag him (and likely pay him at the top of the market for just 1 year) in '27 meaning if Chase really wants to try and hardball the situation - he could sit out and that would mean potentially multiple years of not playing. Not a move that I would suggest to him, personally.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
run the ball, stop the run. baby steps

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
run the ball, stop the run. baby steps
Bengals had more missed tackles (14) than runs by the RB (12).

That's not a great day at the office, Bob...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be a lot of chatter about this on social media. I've heard the story that they couldn't get the years right - This story makes it sound like they couldn't get the timing of the guarantee correct. What I don't know is whether there are different rules for guarantees that don't vest until some point in the future vs. those that are fully guaranteed at signing. If not, and you have to escrow the cash anyway, I really don't understand what the club is buffering against. They'll have the cash (they have to) and Chase is not an issue off the field, so you're not worrying about a Watson type of case in Cleveland. Overall, if this is the real truth (which is an open question), this is a missed opportunity for the club. They should have signed the deal.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should also note that this idea that negotiations are over does not have to be true. If the details in the story are correct, Chase could walk into that office and be 30 million dollars richer this month. That's a big difference from cashing gamechecks worth 60K.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higgins leaves next season.
Chase will leave soon after him, we will franchise tag him.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase is basically betting that he gets injured with his insurance policy. good grief.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase is basically betting that he gets injured with his insurance policy. good grief.
That is a little too cynical even for you, Dan! Don't think for a moment that his representation doesn't have a financial stake in this policy. The dude will have over 100 million in guarantees whenever he signs on - That is significant money for him and his agency. They aren't letting him play this season for 1 million with no guarantees against injury.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a little too cynical even for you, Dan! Don't think for a moment that his representation doesn't have a financial stake in this policy. The dude will have over 100 million in guarantees whenever he signs on - That is significant money for him and his agency. They aren't letting him play this season for 1 million with no guarantees against injury.
The way he is playing and whining about everything I am heading back to the sign Higgins in the offseason after tagging him again and trade Chase after you tag him before year 6.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way he is playing and whining about everything I am heading back to the sign Higgins in the offseason after tagging him again and trade Chase after you tag him before year 6.
Playing without a new deal puts a lot of pressure on these guys. He's also attempting to play without having practiced all preseason. I just think he's under stress from the business side of things - This is something he never had to deal with before. I can only imagine how many friends and family are in the guy's ear.

I have serious reservations about Tee. I think it's buyer beware for any team that takes him - The repeated injuries are too much of a trend to now ignore.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing without a new deal puts a lot of pressure on these guys. He's also attempting to play without having practiced all preseason. I just think he's under stress from the business side of things - This is something he never had to deal with before. I can only imagine how many friends and family are in the guy's ear.

I have serious reservations about Tee. I think it's buyer beware for any team that takes him - The repeated injuries are too much of a trend to now ignore.
I agree about tee and the buyer beware. I just like his attitude better. But yes, probably a lot of stress for chase. That stunt in the game that cost us was just fn stupid. When burrow had to get involved that much you know shit got real. I have never seen burrow at any level grab one of his one guys and shove them away.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about tee and the buyer beware. I just like his attitude better. But yes, probably a lot of stress for chase. That stunt in the game that cost us was just fn stupid. When burrow had to get involved that much you know shit got real. I have never seen burrow at any level grab one of his one guys and shove them away.
There were a few reports that the ref also escalated it with his words toward Chase. I don't think this forgives Chase's behavior, but refs know not to do this during a heated game.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully he settles into a groove week 3 and everything will be peaches.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people understand what Chase does for the offense. The D rotates to his side on 90% or more of plays. The reason why there are so many options open is that Chase absorbs coverage and they run patterns behind him. Do people really believe that Gisecki beats his defender by 5 steps?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people understand what Chase does for the offense. The D rotates to his side on 90% or more of plays. The reason why there are so many options open is that Chase absorbs coverage and they run patterns behind him. Do people really believe that Gisecki beats his defender by 5 steps?

Burrow makes everyone look better, followed by Chase. I think Higgins will be successful for a bit when he leaves though, although Iosivas and the other guys aren't going to draw a lot of double teams. Burton might draw safety help in his deep routes though. there's a bit we could do with this offense if only we could let our OC be creative and call the plays (or let burrow call the plays more often)