• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler's 7 year deal

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this. I was going to wait until after the Broncos season ended before commenting on Cutler, but what the hell...

I think his last play of the season was well-deserved. Love how the Bears season ended on a Cutler pick. The only thing that could've made it better is if the Bears fired their coach and hired McDaniels!

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this. I was going to wait until after the Broncos season ended before commenting on Cutler, but what the hell...

I think his last play of the season was well-deserved. Love how the Bears season ended on a Cutler pick. The only thing that could've made it better is if the Bears fired their coach and hired McDaniels!

LOL, that pick was on a desperation Hail Mary. Those aren't real pics. Cutler outplayed Aaron Rodgers in that game BIG TIME. He had a much higher passer rating. Rodgers was intercepted 2 time, and was lucky to not be intercepted 2 other times. Rodgers also fumbled, and was incredibly lucky that another Packer picked up his fumble and ran it in for a TD. Any fan that watched that game saw that Cutler played MUCH better than Rodgers. He actually had a 126 passer rating before the Hail Mary INT. The Bears lost because of the freak TD on the Rodgers fumble, and because their defense could stop the Packers on 4th down 3 times on the game winning drive. Even the biggest Cutler hater has to admit that he played a great game with the season on the line.

Also, kudos to Cutler for not testing the free agent market. Instead of trying to get more money, he just wanted to stay with the Bears and not make a big deal out of the contract. Good deal for both sides. This was the first season in Chicago that Cutler had a good supporting cast on offense. He responded by finishing 8th in the NFL in Total QBR. He'll only get better in Trestman's offense.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, that pick was on a desperation Hail Mary. Those aren't real pics. Cutler outplayed Aaron Rodgers in that game BIG TIME. He had a much higher passer rating. Rodgers was intercepted 2 time, and was lucky to not be intercepted 2 other times. Rodgers also fumbled, and was incredibly lucky that another Packer picked up his fumble and ran it in for a TD. Any fan that watched that game saw that Cutler played MUCH better than Rodgers. He actually had a 126 passer rating before the Hail Mary INT. The Bears lost because of the freak TD on the Rodgers fumble, and because their defense could stop the Packers on 4th down 3 times on the game winning drive. Even the biggest Cutler hater has to admit that he played a great game with the season on the line.

Also, kudos to Cutler for not testing the free agent market. Instead of trying to get more money, he just wanted to stay with the Bears and not make a big deal out of the contract. Good deal for both sides. This was the first season in Chicago that Cutler had a good supporting cast on offense. He responded by finishing 8th in the NFL in Total QBR. He'll only get better in Trestman's offense.

On 4th down with the season on the line, Rodgers got it done to the tune of a 48 yard TD bomb. What did Cutler do with the season on the line?

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On 4th down with the season on the line, Rodgers got it done to the tune of a 48 yard TD bomb. What did Cutler do with the season on the line?

You expect a QB get a touchdown drive with 38 seconds left? PLEASE.

Cutler led the Bears on 3 TD drives in a row in the 2nd half. Then on the next drive I'm sure you saw the long pass Cutler threw on 3rd and 17. Our friend here TD commented on it in the general forum. Cutler threw a perfect long pass that Jeffery flat out dropped. As TD admitted, a guy that does NOT like Cutler, Jeffery catching that ball could have changed the outcome. That probably would have iced the game.

So Cutler led back to back to back TD drives, and then threw a long pass that should have iced the game. But it's his fault he couldn't go all the way down the field in 38 seconds? Is this really your analysis?

Rodgers played an awful game. 2 INTs, a fumble and 2 other INTs that defenders dropped. NOT very often a QB can get away with that many mitakes. But I'm sure it was due to rust. Rodgers IMO is a top 3 QB in the league. But that doesn't change the FACT that Cutler outplayed him in this particular game.

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same thing Manning did, actually.......

Cutler had a pretty decent game. Hard to blame him for the outcome, unless you're also willing to lay the blame solely on Manning for last year's playoff loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cutler had a pretty decent game. Hard to blame him for the outcome, unless you're also willing to lay the blame solely on Manning for last year's playoff loss.

Normally I am more analytical than that. I am just applying some of the same metrics ATF has in his trolling days on the Broncos board.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I am more analytical than that. I am just applying some of the same metrics ATF has in his trolling days on the Broncos board.

The problem in dropping down to their level is that they inevitably beat you with experience :doh:

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said. The QB often gets too much blame for losses.

You know, only the Broncos averaged more points per game than the Bears this season. But the Bears had the 30th ranked defense. Defense was why they missed the playoffs. Part of that was because their defense was decimated by injuries. Tillman is one of the top 5 cornerbacks in football and they lost him. If the Bears get back some injured players and make a few other moves to improve the defense, they'll be a major contender. They've built a dynamic offense with Forte, Cutler, Marshall and Jeffery. The Broncos offense with Manning, Welker, Thomas and Decker is the only offense in the NFL that I'd take over Chicago's.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. The QB often gets too much blame for losses.

You know, only the Broncos averaged more points per game than the Bears this season. But the Bears had the 30th ranked defense. Defense was why they missed the playoffs. Part of that was because their defense was decimated by injuries. Tillman is one of the top 5 cornerbacks in football and they lost him. If the Bears get back some injured players and make a few other moves to improve the defense, they'll be a major contender. They've built a dynamic offense with Forte, Cutler, Marshall and Jeffery. The Broncos offense with Manning, Welker, Thomas and Decker is the only offense in the NFL that I'd take over Chicago's.

The Broncos defense was a statistical disaster this year, with lots of injuries and self induced friction (suspensions, lack of discipline, etc...). Yet they are 13-3 with the #1 playoff seed.

Any more excuses?

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos defense was a statistical disaster this year, with lots of injuries and self induced friction (suspensions, lack of discipline, etc...). Yet they are 13-3 with the #1 playoff seed.

Any more excuses?

The Broncos had the 19th ranked defense, and gave up 24.9 points per game.

The Bears had the 30th ranked defense, and gave up 29.9 points per game.

You tell me which defense was worse.

Manning is THE BEST QB in the NFL right now. Cutler is about the 10th best QB in the NFL right now. Cutler is very good, but Manning is ELITE. There's no argument as to which is better. Manning is so good this year that the Broncos could have the worst defense in the NFL, and they'd still have a great record.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos had the 19th ranked defense, and gave up 24.9 points per game.

The Bears had the 30th ranked defense, and gave up 29.9 points per game.

You tell me which defense was worse.

Manning is THE BEST QB in the NFL right now. Cutler is about the 10th best QB in the NFL right now. Cutler is very good, but Manning is ELITE. There's no argument as to which is better. Manning is so good this year that the Broncos could have the worst defense in the NFL, and they'd still have a great record.

So just wondering your thoughts on the fact that Josh McCown actually outplayed Cutler this year and would have only cost about half as much if that yet they signed Cutler.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More excuses for poopy pants, who has never once been in the top 10 in QB rating.

Anyone thinking he is worth 2 firsts a 3rd and Orton are crazy.

All I hear is how he is a franchise QB. What evidence is there? Well, he led the team to the NFCCG in 2010, by winning a home game against what may very well be the worst play off team in NFL history? Being as how the Seahawks were 7-9 that year.

Yeah, he got all of the excuses for his lack of an OL with the Bears. Well, when he was with the Broncos, in 2008 he was sacked 11 times in 616 attempts. Read that again and try and compare any ratio like that. Cutler was sacked 11 times in 616 attempts in 2008. He was still ranked 16th in the NFL in passer rating. That despite the fact that he also had a plethora of very good WRs in Marshall and Royal. The running game was also decent, as the running game was always decent with Shanahan. One of the better OLs in the NFL, pro bowl WRs, and Cutler was second in the NFL in ints and of course led in the NFL in red zone picks.

He then felt entitled to exactly what with those numbers? Cause he passed for 4500 yards?

He has been nothing more than a prima donna. Tebow literally did more for this team than Cutler ever did.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just wondering your thoughts on the fact that Josh McCown actually outplayed Cutler this year and would have only cost about half as much if that yet they signed Cutler.

McCown played very well, but he didn't outplay Cutler. He just had a streak of freak luck. Anyone who watched the Dallas game saw he should have been intercepted 4 times. He got lucky that defenders kept dropping his bonehead throws. Jon Gruden commented on it and said he had to be more careful. The week before vs the Vikings, McCown threw 2 passes RIGHT to defenders. The easiest INTs ever, one of which should have been a walk in pick 6, but again he got lucky. McCown should have been intercepted 6 times in those 2 games. Again he played very well overall in his 5 starts, but no one can deny that he had freak luck to get away with an unusually high amount of potential INTs. He did NOT play as great as the 13-1 TD/INT, 109 passer rating indicates. You really to be lucky to have only 1 INT and get away with that many passes thrown to defenders. It was freak luck. Look at McCown's TD/INT ratio before this season. He had thrown as many INTs as TDs.

So you're saying the Bears should have ignored McCown's career before this season (lousy passer rating in low 70s) and let Cutler walk on the hope that 5 good games meant that McCown had suddenly morphed into a great QB after a bad career? Seriously? That would have been a huge risk and not very smart, especially after the Bears had gone DECADES without having even 1 good QB. The Bears FINALLY found a good solid starting QB. They had to sign him. Counting on 34 year old journeyman would have been a joke. Also did you know that McCown is considering retiring? He's talking about not playing next season to spend time with his family. He's a great guy and class act, and a very good backup QB. But not someone a team should count on for the future.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More excuses for poopy pants, who has never once been in the top 10 in QB rating.

All I hear is how he is a franchise QB. What evidence is there? Well, he led the team to the NFCCG in 2010, by winning a home game against what may very well be the worst play off team in NFL history? Being as how the Seahawks were 7-9 that year.

Yeah, he got all of the excuses for his lack of an OL with the Bears. Well, when he was with the Broncos, in 2008 he was sacked 11 times in 616 attempts. Read that again and try and compare any ratio like that. Cutler was sacked 11 times in 616 attempts in 2008. He was still ranked 16th in the NFL in passer rating. That despite the fact that he also had a plethora of very good WRs in Marshall and Royal. The running game was also decent, as the running game was always decent with Shanahan. One of the better OLs in the NFL, pro bowl WRs, and Cutler was second in the NFL in ints and of course led in the NFL in red zone picks.

He then felt entitled to exactly what with those numbers? Cause he passed for 4500 yards?

He has been nothing more than a prima donna. Tebow literally did more for this team than Cutler ever did.

This right here is exactly why I couldn't believe they paid him the money they did. McCown actually played better this year and would have come at a fraction of the cost to keep yet they chose to have Cutler be their guy for the next 7 years. He is a poor man's Brett Favre. Yeah he will wow you with a couple of nice games but more times than not he will end up being the guy that throws the critical interception. I guess you could even say he is a poor man's Tony Romo.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think Cutler played well this season, in his first season in Trestman's offense? He finished 8th in the NFL in total QBR, so according to that rating system he was a top 10 QB. He also had 19 TD passes in 10 games, which means he was on pace for close to 30 TD passes if he hadn't gotten injured. That's some great production. You can't deny that he played the best football of his career under Trestman this season. He should only get better in his second year in Trestman's system, and with Jeffery blossoming into a top receiver to go with Marshall. Let me know your opinion of how Cutler played this season. Be honest. You also have to admit it's encouraging that he finally had a good game against the Packers.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler played well and no defense should give up 3 4th downs on a last drive and leave Cobb so open that I could have caught that pass.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This right here is exactly why I couldn't believe they paid him the money they did. McCown actually played better this year and would have come at a fraction of the cost to keep yet they chose to have Cutler be their guy for the next 7 years. He is a poor man's Brett Favre. Yeah he will wow you with a couple of nice games but more times than not he will end up being the guy that throws the critical interception. I guess you could even say he is a poor man's Tony Romo.

He didn't throw the critical interceptions this season in Trestman's offense. When they lost, it was because of the defense. Cutler won most of the close games he was in. In the Packers game, it was Rodgers that was throwing the big interceptions. Not Cutler. Cutler's 1 INT was on a desperation Hail Mary. He made no mistakes at all. Rodgers fumbled (and was lucky a Packer picked it up and took it ij for a TD), was intercepted 2 times and was lucky to not be intercepted 2 other times (balls that Bears defenders dropped). Rodgers made 5 critical mistakes while Cutler made none. You don't find it encouraging for Cutler and the Bears that he played much smarter football than Rodgers and outplayed him in the big game? Bears wouldn've won that game if not for the fluke fumble TD, or had Jeffery not dropped the pass that would have iced the game, or had the defense not allowed the Packers to convert on 4th down THREE times on the game winning drive.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't throw the critical interceptions this season in Trestman's offense. When they lost, it was because of the defense. Cutler won most of the close games he was in. In the Packers game, it was Rodgers that was throwing the big interceptions. Not Cutler. Cutler's 1 INT was on a desperation Hail Mary. He made no mistakes at all. Rodgers fumbled (and was lucky a Packer picked it up and took it ij for a TD), was intercepted 2 times and was lucky to not be intercepted 2 other times (balls that Bears defenders dropped). Rodgers made 5 critical mistakes while Cutler made none. You don't find it encouraging for Cutler and the Bears that he played much smarter football than Rodgers and outplayed him in the big game? Bears wouldn've won that game if not for the fluke fumble TD, or had Jeffery not dropped the pass that would have iced the game, or had the defense not allowed the Packers to convert on 4th down THREE times on the game winning drive.

No I don't find it encouraging considering Rodgers hadn't played in what 2 months. I expected him to struggle. The fact that the Bears couldn't get it done in a game where Rodgers did struggle like he did is actually pretty discouraging to me. And Cutler has done the same thing in Trestman's offense that he has done in every offense he has played in even though he had great weapons and a decent OL at different points in his career. He can make the good plays every once in a while that show great promise but he then can try to fit a ball into triple coverage and get picked off at an inopportune time when his underneath receiver or RB is wide open for a first down. He goes for the big play when it isn't there. Now I will say he had a better year this year with Trestman but I think being right on that edge of top 10 is about his max as a quarterback and not a guy that I see taking a team to a Super Bowl. I could see him maybe once in his career when all the stars align like they did for Flacco last year but I view him a lot like I do Flacco in they are decent quarterbacks but in the end not quite what you are hoping for. They fall just short.

Now to your Total QBR argument that stat is about the worst one there is in sports. ESPN has even gone away from it more and more as they realize how flawed it is. Manning his first week of the season when he had the 7 touchdown passes finished 4th that week in total QBR...now how is that possible for a quarterback to have one of the best games statistically in NFL history yet only finish 4th for the week. It is a flawed statistic.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh McCown always has been and always will be a journeyman backup. He's just another Matt Flynn when it comes down to his ability to lead a team full time. Bears would have been stupid to make him their starter, especially since he's 34 years old. The fact is, he was playing way over his head this season. Inevitably, his numbers will fall back down, if he doesn't retire first that is.

Their only two options were to resign Cutler, or draft a starter. They chose to resign Cutler. Marc Trestman has a system that seems well suited to Jay. Sure, he's no Manning or Brady, and never will be. But he's better than a lot of the starters out there.