• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler's 7 year deal

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't find it encouraging considering Rodgers hadn't played in what 2 months. I expected him to struggle. The fact that the Bears couldn't get it done in a game where Rodgers did struggle like he did is actually pretty discouraging to me. And Cutler has done the same thing in Trestman's offense that he has done in every offense he has played in even though he had great weapons and a decent OL at different points in his career. He can make the good plays every once in a while that show great promise but he then can try to fit a ball into triple coverage and get picked off at an inopportune time when his underneath receiver or RB is wide open for a first down. He goes for the big play when it isn't there. Now I will say he had a better year this year with Trestman but I think being right on that edge of top 10 is about his max as a quarterback and not a guy that I see taking a team to a Super Bowl. I could see him maybe once in his career when all the stars align like they did for Flacco last year but I view him a lot like I do Flacco in they are decent quarterbacks but in the end not quite what you are hoping for. They fall just short.

Now to your Total QBR argument that stat is about the worst one there is in sports. ESPN has even gone away from it more and more as they realize how flawed it is. Manning his first week of the season when he had the 7 touchdown passes finished 4th that week in total QBR...now how is that possible for a quarterback to have one of the best games statistically in NFL history yet only finish 4th for the week. It is a flawed statistic.

It's discouraging for the Bears because their defense let them down. The Bears offense this season was the 2nd highest scoring offense in the NFL, only behind Denver. But they had the 30th ranked defense. No one can deny they had a terrific offense this season with Cutler/Mcown, Forte, Marshall and Jeffery. If they can improve their defense to even just middle of the pack, they will be a major contender because the offense is so good. Trestman is a great offensive mind.

QBR can be a useful stat, but I agree it isn't as good as passer rating. Too bad Cutler had to throw that Hail Mary at the end that resulted in the INT. He would have finished with a 90 passer rating for the first time in his career if not for that Hail Mary. Any time a QB has a rating of 90 or better, that is considered very good. Don't see how anyone can deny that Cutler had a good season. Before he got slowed down by injuries and had to miss almost 6 games, he was on pace for over 30 TD passes and over 4000 yards. We saw the stats McCown put up when he got to face the worst defenses in the league. Cutler probably would have made the pro bowl this season if he didn't get injured. He really did look like a different QB under Trestman. Trestman talked about how improved Cutler was with ball security and decision making. Not many bonehead throws like previous seasons. I really think Cutler is on his way under Trestman. God Bless...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's discouraging for the Bears because their defense let them down. The Bears offense this season was the 2nd highest scoring offense in the NFL, only behind Denver. But they had the 30th ranked defense. No one can deny they had a terrific offense this season with Cutler/Mcown, Forte, Marshall and Jeffery. If they can improve their defense to even just middle of the pack, they will be a major contender because the offense is so good. Trestman is a great offensive mind.

QBR can be a useful stat, but I agree it isn't as good as passer rating. Too bad Cutler had to throw that Hail Mary at the end that resulted in the INT. He would have finished with a 90 passer rating for the first time in his career if not for that Hail Mary. Any time a QB has a rating of 90 or better, that is considered very good. Don't see how anyone can deny that Cutler had a good season. Before he got slowed down by injuries and had to miss almost 6 games, he was on pace for over 30 TD passes and over 4000 yards. We saw the stats McCown put up when he got to face the worst defenses in the league. Cutler probably would have made the pro bowl this season if he didn't get injured. He really did look like a different QB under Trestman. Trestman talked about how improved Cutler was with ball security and decision making. Not many bonehead throws like previous seasons. I really think Cutler is on his way under Trestman. God Bless...

He might have been on pace for 30 touchdowns but he was also on pace for 16 or more interceptions and that is taking his best 8 game stretch into consideration of the games played this season. That would actually put him higher than his past 2 seasons without Trestman. Now I do think Trestman and Cutler will do just fine together just don't know if that is a Championship combination. I think Trestman is a great offensive mind I just think Cutler sometimes can't get out of his own way. He has offensive weapons galore around him but still decides to throw into triple coverage rather than let his play makers make plays. Look at Manning this year and most of his career. He takes what the defense gives him and if that is the underneath throws then that is what he does and allows his players to just go make plays instead of always trying to play hero. Until Cutler shows me otherwise this is who he is and will always be held back by that. I can see them being a playoff team even as early as next year but I just don't see very often that Cutler can put together a 3-4 game stretch where he doesn't have one bad game that just kills the team.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have been on pace for 30 touchdowns but he was also on pace for 16 or more interceptions and that is taking his best 8 game stretch into consideration of the games played this season. That would actually put him higher than his past 2 seasons without Trestman. Now I do think Trestman and Cutler will do just fine together just don't know if that is a Championship combination. I think Trestman is a great offensive mind I just think Cutler sometimes can't get out of his own way. He has offensive weapons galore around him but still decides to throw into triple coverage rather than let his play makers make plays. Look at Manning this year and most of his career. He takes what the defense gives him and if that is the underneath throws then that is what he does and allows his players to just go make plays instead of always trying to play hero. Until Cutler shows me otherwise this is who he is and will always be held back by that. I can see them being a playoff team even as early as next year but I just don't see very often that Cutler can put together a 3-4 game stretch where he doesn't have one bad game that just kills the team.

He certainly didn't throw into triple coverage in the Green Bay game. He didn't force anything and again his 1 INT was on a desperation Hail Mary. I don't know how much of Cutler you've watched this season, but he's been much better about not forcing throws.

But I will say that when you have huge tall receivers like Marshall and Jeffery, sometimes just throwing it up for grabs can be a good play because they often come down with it. When McCown was QB those 6 games, we saw Jeffery make several unbelievable circus catches where McCown just threw it up and counted on his tall receiver making a big play. With those type of weapons you want your QB taking some chances. It may lead to an occasional pick, but more often it will lead to big plays since Marshall/Jeffery are so good.

If Cutler threw 30 TDs and 16 INTs this season, that would be a great season because it's about a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio. I have no doubt Cutler would have thrown more than 30 TD passes if he didn't get injured. McCown faced much weaker defenses than Cutler. McCown's defenses averaged 23rd ranked while Cutler defenses averaged 13th ranked. Cutler would have sliced up those teamd at least as much as McCown did. He probably would have been pro bowl if not for the injury. But you can criticize him for not being able to stay healthy.

You can't compare Manning to Cutler because Manning is simply the best QB in the NFL. Unfair to any QB to compare him to Manning. The important thing for Cutler is he showed good growth in his first year under Trestman. He went from being an average QB the last few seasons to above average this season. If he makes a similar jump in his 2nd year in Trestman's system, he could be close to elite. He has the talent and just needs to continue to improve in the area of not forcing things. He showed significant improvement in that area this season. I'm betting he will be a pro bowl QB IF he stays healthy next season. They need to improve that defense though because it's horrific.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly didn't throw into triple coverage in the Green Bay game. He didn't force anything and again his 1 INT was on a desperation Hail Mary. I don't know how much of Cutler you've watched this season, but he's been much better about not forcing throws.

But I will say that when you have huge tall receivers like Marshall and Jeffery, sometimes just throwing it up for grabs can be a good play because they often come down with it. When McCown was QB those 6 games, we saw Jeffery make several unbelievable circus catches where McCown just threw it up and counted on his tall receiver making a big play. With those type of weapons you want your QB taking some chances. It may lead to an occasional pick, but more often it will lead to big plays since Marshall/Jeffery are so good.

If Cutler threw 30 TDs and 16 INTs this season, that would be a great season because it's about a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio. I have no doubt Cutler would have thrown more than 30 TD passes if he didn't get injured. McCown faced much weaker defenses than Cutler. McCown's defenses averaged 23rd ranked while Cutler defenses averaged 13th ranked. Cutler would have sliced up those teamd at least as much as McCown did. He probably would have been pro bowl if not for the injury. But you can criticize him for not being able to stay healthy.

You can't compare Manning to Cutler because Manning is simply the best QB in the NFL. Unfair to any QB to compare him to Manning. The important thing for Cutler is he showed good growth in his first year under Trestman. He went from being an average QB the last few seasons to above average this season. If he makes a similar jump in his 2nd year in Trestman's system, he could be close to elite. He has the talent and just needs to continue to improve in the area of not forcing things. He showed significant improvement in that area this season. I'm betting he will be a pro bowl QB IF he stays healthy next season. They need to improve that defense though because it's horrific.

I wasn't comparing him to Peyton as an overall quarterback. I was comparing him to Peyton in realizing you don't have to go for the big play every time. Allow Forte and others to catch that 5 yard pass and turn it into a 30 yard gain. You don't have to get all your passing yards through the air. Also McCown threw it up to Jeffrey when he had single coverage. There is a difference between throwing it up to a guy one on one compared to one with 3 guys around him like I have seen Cutler even some this year do. Now would it surprise me to see Cutler become a pro bowl quarterback next year...Not really. He probably will have the best weapons in the NFL around him other than what Peyton will have next year. Definitely helps when you have the weapons around to be successful.

Honestly I didn't mind Cutler when he was here with Denver. I had high hopes for him. At the same time I have seen him be a bit of a diva more times than I would want in my starting quarterback and is starting to get a reputation for being injured. Since joining the Bears he has only finished one full season so to me I think there is more of a chance of him missing games than not this upcoming season.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't comparing him to Peyton as an overall quarterback. I was comparing him to Peyton in realizing you don't have to go for the big play every time. Allow Forte and others to catch that 5 yard pass and turn it into a 30 yard gain. You don't have to get all your passing yards through the air. Also McCown threw it up to Jeffrey when he had single coverage. There is a difference between throwing it up to a guy one on one compared to one with 3 guys around him like I have seen Cutler even some this year do. Now would it surprise me to see Cutler become a pro bowl quarterback next year...Not really. He probably will have the best weapons in the NFL around him other than what Peyton will have next year. Definitely helps when you have the weapons around to be successful.

Honestly I didn't mind Cutler when he was here with Denver. I had high hopes for him. At the same time I have seen him be a bit of a diva more times than I would want in my starting quarterback and is starting to get a reputation for being injured. Since joining the Bears he has only finished one full season so to me I think there is more of a chance of him missing games than not this upcoming season.

Well everyone on the Bears was raving about how Cutler matured this season and showed improved leadership. It was also the first season in a long time that Cutler didn't have any kind of incident (like disrespecting coaches or teammates) on the field. Cutler talked about how having a family changed him. Sometimes it takes having children to help a person mature. It seems like Cutler is a changed MAN now. He was even friendly with the media this season.

The thumb injury 2 years ago was a complete FREAK injury. He threw an INT because his receiver fell down, and broke the thumb making a TD saving tackle. Really this season was the first season in his career that he had the type of injuries I'd be concerned about. But I wouldn't take 1 injury plaqued season as a sign that he's suddenly injury prone. He's only missed 12 starts in his whole career, so he's been durable.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More excuses for poopy pants, who has never once been in the top 10 in QB rating.

Anyone thinking he is worth 2 firsts a 3rd and Orton are crazy.

All I hear is how he is a franchise QB. What evidence is there? Well, he led the team to the NFCCG in 2010, by winning a home game against what may very well be the worst play off team in NFL history? Being as how the Seahawks were 7-9 that year.

Yeah, he got all of the excuses for his lack of an OL with the Bears. Well, when he was with the Broncos, in 2008 he was sacked 11 times in 616 attempts. Read that again and try and compare any ratio like that. Cutler was sacked 11 times in 616 attempts in 2008. He was still ranked 16th in the NFL in passer rating. That despite the fact that he also had a plethora of very good WRs in Marshall and Royal. The running game was also decent, as the running game was always decent with Shanahan. One of the better OLs in the NFL, pro bowl WRs, and Cutler was second in the NFL in ints and of course led in the NFL in red zone picks.

He then felt entitled to exactly what with those numbers? Cause he passed for 4500 yards?

He has been nothing more than a prima donna. Tebow literally did more for this team than Cutler ever did.

For your argument that he has never been top 10 in passer rating. He would have been 9th in passer rating this season if Trestman didn't let him play injured in the Detroit game. That was the biggest mistake Trestman made this season. Cutler couldn't move or throw with the groin and severely sprained ankle, but Trestman left him in. He should have put McCown in since Cutler couldn't move or throw well. That was the game that lowered his rating. Cutler would have been 9th in passer rating instead of 13th had Trestman not let him play injured that game. Due to that, Cutler finished 3 points away from being the 9th rated passer. Don't know how anyone can deny that he played like a top 10 QB when he was healthy this season!

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe all of the excuses for Baby Jay, and I can't believe any Broncos fan would ever defend that guy. Hey Broncos fans, you guys realize that Baby Jay insulted you, right? That he basically called you second class fans? Every single Broncos fan should take that personally if you take your fandom seriously.

I will always cheer for Jay Cutler to fail every single time he takes the field, and I will until he's out of the league. The best thing McDaniels ever did for the Broncos was to ship that overrated loser out of town. Screw Jay Cutler, he's a worthless sack of garbage.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe all of the excuses for Baby Jay, and I can't believe any Broncos fan would ever defend that guy. Hey Broncos fans, you guys realize that Baby Jay insulted you, right? That he basically called you second class fans? Every single Broncos fan should take that personally if you take your fandom seriously.

I will always cheer for Jay Cutler to fail every single time he takes the field, and I will until he's out of the league. The best thing McDaniels ever did for the Broncos was to ship that overrated loser out of town. Screw Jay Cutler, he's a worthless sack of garbage.

Ehhh.... I don't really care one way or the other when it comes to Cutler.

He's just not worth the energy to care about, positive or negative. :noidea: