• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler benched... Jimmy Clausen to start vs Lions.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never once have heard that. I honestly think you're blatantly making this up, as I have heard the polar opposite from him in several interviews on The Score and ESPN.

Peanut is an exceptional teammate... will help the D on game day- A great pro. No questions.
Have heard him with L. Holmes shows multiple times- saying how he didn't want to talk football- that it was his job, and has more interests in life. And that coaching is too time consuming and you have to love it and he simply doesn't like it that much. Doesn't watch games on bye weeks and rarely watches the playoffs. Would rather talk about/do other things. I'm not making that up.

People want to believe that their heroes are something they are not. He could probably do that job, but I'd be super shocked if Charles Tillman is ever a coach.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Anotheridiot- you want this... here you go. Dumpster fire to the grandest degree. The thing I have kept hearing from the haters is- WE have ALL this talent!!- Well if that's true- shouldn't it be on the scheme and coaching? And shouldn't that "talent" be able to turn it around with better coaching? The talent is already signed... under contract. Change schemes and we have a chance.
Remove the "talent" and now we have to find new coaches AND new talent. AND spend A LOT of money, and have a messed up cap situation to boot.

We don't need a complete dumpster fire. It isn't "all or nothing" like there are only two ways of going about this. It's the NFL, and there's a salary cap, and a ton of parity. The bears can challenge sooner than you think, IF they start making better choices. This is why GM, coach, and Qb are so vital. A good NFl roster has at least six pro bowl grade guys, 15 or so really solid starters, 10 guys that are either ok starters or solid backups, and then a bunch of cheap guys who can play. Obviously it is the first two categories that are the hard part, but we actually do have some decent guys. Let's not forget we still have strong skill position players, Kyle long, some deent young defensive linemen and some d line veterans who drew some unfair criticism this season, and a great long snapper. ;) but the bears are not totally screwed. A lot of young players got experience this year, which sucked this year but should help us going forward. Our cap situation is actually in decent shape IF they can trade Cutler right at the start of the new year.

A couple of good drafts from now, they Bears could be fine. Of course...we've been sayin that forever. The bears haven't had a home run draft in eons. But there's absolutely no reason why the Bears can't build a team right. None. A history of bad qbs, now including cutler, says nothing about the future. They are out there. We just have to be the ones to find them.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need a complete dumpster fire. It isn't "all or nothing" like there are only two ways of going about this. It's the NFL, and there's a salary cap, and a ton of parity. The bears can challenge sooner than you think, IF they start making better choices. This is why GM, coach, and Qb are so vital. A good NFl roster has at least six pro bowl grade guys, 15 or so really solid starters, 10 guys that are either ok starters or solid backups, and then a bunch of cheap guys who can play. Obviously it is the first two categories that are the hard part, but we actually do have some decent guys. Let's not forget we still have strong skill position players, Kyle long, some deent young defensive linemen and some d line veterans who drew some unfair criticism this season, and a great long snapper. ;) but the bears are not totally screwed. A lot of young players got experience this year, which sucked this year but should help us going forward. Our cap situation is actually in decent shape IF they can trade Cutler right at the start of the new year.

A couple of good drafts from now, they Bears could be fine. Of course...we've been sayin that forever. The bears haven't had a home run draft in eons. But there's absolutely no reason why the Bears can't build a team right. None. A history of bad qbs, now including cutler, says nothing about the future. They are out there. We just have to be the ones to find them.

Agree with you. I'm just so down now. With all the speculation. History has told all us fans that they can't find the right guys- can't draft the right guys often enough and then put them into the wrong positions- (McClellin?) I've mentioned this before- but I don't think even if the Bears drafted Rodgers or Brady...they would be the players they are now.
My usual optimism will probably return when we know more- New GM, New coaching staff...etc. I still don't think it's wise to dump Jay- for all the reasons we've mentioned.

And what we have to face in our own division over the next 4-5 years. Playoffs?

Keep Jay- Sign a guy like Hoyer/Sanchez... not as starter or babysitters to Cutler. But as competition. Push him to do better, then First round draft of QB if new Coach/GM doesn't want to keep Jay- and it's cheaper to cut/trade. (and keep Marshall productive under a more structured coach)

The Bears MUST be doing things NOW- They must have already made the choice of firings NOW. Talking to agents of GM's/Coaches. If they go to a Football Czar- he needs to be in the minute after the season is over. I truly hope they don't spend 2 months searching.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has 1/2 of the defense done to keep their job? Mel Tucker? Trestman? Accountability... pahaaa. We have all said that all year too. Why wasn't Marshall held accountable for his crap? Why didn't Briggs get benched after his FU to the team when he said he doesn't care in meetings and only watches the clock?

Anotheridiot- you want this... here you go. Dumpster fire to the grandest degree. The thing I have kept hearing from the haters is- WE have ALL this talent!!- Well if that's true- shouldn't it be on the scheme and coaching? And shouldn't that "talent" be able to turn it around with better coaching? The talent is already signed... under contract. Change schemes and we have a chance.
Remove the "talent" and now we have to find new coaches AND new talent. AND spend A LOT of money, and have a messed up cap situation to boot.

Haters? I am saying sit jay and fix jay. Cant afford to give up now.

But from what I can see, there are two people on the field that are connected to the coaches, who have the responsibility to get the team in position (quarterback and linebacker) and make the decision to run what was called or adjust.

You remember a game a few weeks ago, bears drove, got down to the five, field mike picked up cutler saying we're good, we're good. How many other times has he just gotten the ball snapped without changing the play? Coaches called something the guy on the field decided not to run. cant put 100% on the coaches.

Same on defense. you see a linebacker waving his arms and hitting his helmet, he is changing what the coaches called.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you. I'm just so down now. With all the speculation. History has told all us fans that they can't find the right guys- can't draft the right guys often enough and then put them into the wrong positions- (McClellin?) I've mentioned this before- but I don't think even if the Bears drafted Rodgers or Brady...they would be the players they are now.
My usual optimism will probably return when we know more- New GM, New coaching staff...etc. I still don't think it's wise to dump Jay- for all the reasons we've mentioned.

And what we have to face in our own division over the next 4-5 years. Playoffs?

Keep Jay- Sign a guy like Hoyer/Sanchez... not as starter or babysitters to Cutler. But as competition. Push him to do better, then First round draft of QB if new Coach/GM doesn't want to keep Jay- and it's cheaper to cut/trade. (and keep Marshall productive under a more structured coach)

The Bears MUST be doing things NOW- They must have already made the choice of firings NOW. Talking to agents of GM's/Coaches. If they go to a Football Czar- he needs to be in the minute after the season is over. I truly hope they don't spend 2 months searching.

We should be drafting a quarterback in the first round next year so he is ready to play in 2017-2018 when cutlers guaranteed part of the contract is done. You want him to compete in 2016, fine, but not next year. No rookie should be expected to pick everything up in one camp. If it ends up a Russell Wilson type that beats out the veteran, its a good problem, but you cannot expect that to happen, same way you cannot expect to find a brady in the sixth round again. Best case is you live with Cutler like the packers lived with Favre waiting for the guy to step in down the road.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'm kinda heart broken. I just found out on the Lions board that everyone here hates me, and that i am getting my ass handed to me over here.
#suckstobeme

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haters? I am saying sit jay and fix jay. Cant afford to give up now.

But from what I can see, there are two people on the field that are connected to the coaches, who have the responsibility to get the team in position (quarterback and linebacker) and make the decision to run what was called or adjust.

You remember a game a few weeks ago, bears drove, got down to the five, field mike picked up cutler saying we're good, we're good. How many other times has he just gotten the ball snapped without changing the play? Coaches called something the guy on the field decided not to run. cant put 100% on the coaches.

Same on defense. you see a linebacker waving his arms and hitting his helmet, he is changing what the coaches called.
*I used "haters" as a generalization- probably shouldn't do that- my bad... (we need a different word)

The "we're good, we're good" play is a good example, but I'm thinking many are reading into the Kromer comments and benching too much. IMO It's exactly what the out going coach wants you to think, and take focus off of the other issues on this team. I'm sure there is SOME truth to it. Jay can be impetuous and I'm sure he's missed some reads/audibles... but I would have to think that he's had some really good audibles too- is that unreasonable to believe?
I just have to think that even "elite" QB's don't get every audible right.

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy Packthathole had to come in here. Dude get a woman, or a hobby, sighs.

Awwww boo hoo to you. Your own "fellow" fans have said that you are an idiot and a douche. Haha.

bgduece

Kiss my Ass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great, this will show the world that the college offense does not work in the NFL...Trestman you put the finals nail in your casket, but you took down Emery with you.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'm kinda heart broken. I just found out on the Lions board that everyone here hates me, and that i am getting my ass handed to me over here.
#suckstobeme

We do all hate you, but that's not why you suck. It's your obsession with asses. Plus Tosh hasn't been funny for years.

You forgot to mention the awesome RGIII for Cu(n)tler trade idea on the same thread. Now that's how to save the Bears.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Kyle Long is out today?:noidea:

Suh's gonna kill Clausen.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clausen looked very good today.

Being a Lions fan, I obviously know how frustrating seasons like this can be. Good luck moving forward.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to quote myself, but..

Now the Cutler benching - Trestman's way of saying, its not my system that's the problem and I'll prove it with Clausen.

Based on Clausen's performance against the #2 Lions D, I do now believe it is in our best interests to move on from Jay. Trestman's offense can work, and I'd be willing to give Trestman (only) another year.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Cutler played the Lions a few weeks ago, The Bears offense put up 269 yards and scored 17 points. When Clausen played the Lions today, the Bears offense put up 234 yards and scored 14 points. Cutler's passer rating against the Lions was 76.7, and Clausen's today was 77. I'm not sure what the heck people were watching if they thought Clausen and the offense today were better than the Cutler led offense. Does the Cutler hate really blind people this much? The offense was lousy today. 234 yards and 14 points, LOL.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats may be deceiving. In the first meeting, Jay threw 2 INT. Clausen had zero. Plus today, the Bears dropped 7 (accurately thrown) passes which counts against Jimmy.

I'm not a Jay hater by any means. But if there is an intangible factor involved, the team seemed to rally today, which didn't appear to be there the previous 14 games. Did they rally for Trest? For Jimmy? (Rhetorical)

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all I could think during the first half was "well, it only took them 14 games to check INTO a running play".

Same shitty offense, different QB. bland. Bland screens, bland jump balls, bland like the head coach. Even our hurry up offense seems lethargic.

D played better than they have most of the season. Too bad they couldn't keep it up for the full 60. Ran outta steam at 55 minutes.

Overall, I didn't see much to really justify benching Cutler *At this point in the season*. I would have been well on board with whatever message they were trying to send during this week, oh i don't know, 7 weeks ago?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats may be deceiving. In the first meeting, Jay threw 2 INT. Clausen had zero. Plus today, the Bears dropped 7 (accurately thrown) passes which counts against Jimmy.

I'm not a Jay hater by any means. But if there is an intangible factor involved, the team seemed to rally today, which didn't appear to be there the previous 14 games. Did they rally for Trest? For Jimmy? (Rhetorical)

Clausen had ONE... That last throw was a PICK. I'm just pointing it out because everyone seems to loves to point out Jay's hail mary picks this year. In that first game did Detroit only had 1 turnover vs 3 today. They also only had 38 yards in penalties on TGiving. Today Detroit had 60. (one major one on PF on Punter- that resulted in first down- that gifted the BEARS one of the 2 touchdown)