• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler benched... Jimmy Clausen to start vs Lions.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats may be deceiving. In the first meeting, Jay threw 2 INT. Clausen had zero. Plus today, the Bears dropped 7 (accurately thrown) passes which counts against Jimmy.

I'm not a Jay hater by any means. But if there is an intangible factor involved, the team seemed to rally today, which didn't appear to be there the previous 14 games. Did they rally for Trest? For Jimmy? (Rhetorical)

Clausen threw the game ending INT actually. Even if that wasn't picked off, it was game over with a poorly thrown ball on 4th down.

Average 3rd down distance? Over 7yds. Like I said in the other post, same offense different QB...

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where you guys are coming from. I guess my point has more to do with the way the Bears looked as a team. Over the last month, when they needed to and had reason to be motivated (playing for the playoffs), the team looked lethargic and lacked motivation.

Today was different. Especially with less to play for. Maybe the results were the same. Maybe the QB was of no difference. But it was different. Its an intangible thing.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats may be deceiving. In the first meeting, Jay threw 2 INT. Clausen had zero. Plus today, the Bears dropped 7 (accurately thrown) passes which counts against Jimmy.

I'm not a Jay hater by any means. But if there is an intangible factor involved, the team seemed to rally today, which didn't appear to be there the previous 14 games. Did they rally for Trest? For Jimmy? (Rhetorical)

The 2nd INT Cutler threw was on the last play of the game when they put 1 second back on the clock. It was a blowout and he just threw the ball into the endzone for the heck of it, not caring if he got an INT. So he only should have 1 INT. So you're actually right that stats are deceiving. If Cutler didn't get that meaningless last second hail mary INT, his passer rating in that game would have been around 90 rather than 77. So a strong argument can be made that Cutler played a lot better against the Lions than Clausen did. And as someone else pointed out, Clausen DID throw an INT today.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where you guys are coming from. I guess my point has more to do with the way the Bears looked as a team. Over the last month, when they needed to and had reason to be motivated (playing for the playoffs), the team looked lethargic and lacked motivation.

Today was different. Especially with less to play for. Maybe the results were the same. Maybe the QB was of no difference. But it was different. Its an intangible thing.

Watching the game, it really looked like more of a case of the Lions playing poorly. They blew so many points with dumb mistakes. Chicago defense played a little better today, but not THAT much. It was deceiving because of how bad the Lions were. I mean heck, they even blew a short FG.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to quote myself, but..

Based on Clausen's performance against the #2 Lions D, I do now believe it is in our best interests to move on from Jay. Trestman's offense can work, and I'd be willing to give Trestman (only) another year.

Here is the problem, on this Bear team, Trestman isn't the OC, he's the HC, AND as a HC he has been awful with his decisions. He needs to go. The Bears have been a train wreck on all 3 phases of the game all year long, that's on him. Yea he called a good game today, and probably if the Wr's catch the balls they dropped today the Bears probably would have won, but that's not the point.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem, on this Bear team, Trestman isn't the OC, he's the HC, AND as a HC he has been awful with his decisions. He needs to go. The Bears have been a train wreck on all 3 phases of the game all year long, that's on him. Yea he called a good game today, and probably if the Wr's catch the balls they dropped today the Bears probably would have won, but that's not the point.

The dropped passes were bad, but can't say the Bears probably would have won. The Lions turned the ball over 3 times, made lots of mistakes and missed a short FG. If they had played a clean game, this might have been a blowout in favor of the Lions. Overall it was just an UGLY game. Both teams didn't play well.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Cutler played the Lions a few weeks ago, The Bears offense put up 269 yards and scored 17 points. When Clausen played the Lions today, the Bears offense put up 234 yards and scored 14 points. Cutler's passer rating against the Lions was 76.7, and Clausen's today was 77. I'm not sure what the heck people were watching if they thought Clausen and the offense today were better than the Cutler led offense. Does the Cutler hate really blind people this much? The offense was lousy today. 234 yards and 14 points, LOL.

you do know cutler has a 125 million dollar contract and clausen hasn't started a game in 4 years?

how many drops did chicago receivers have today?

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd INT Cutler threw was on the last play of the game when they put 1 second back on the clock. It was a blowout and he just threw the ball into the endzone for the heck of it, not caring if he got an INT. So he only should have 1 INT. So you're actually right that stats are deceiving. If Cutler didn't get that meaningless last second hail mary INT, his passer rating in that game would have been around 90 rather than 77. So a strong argument can be made that Cutler played a lot better against the Lions than Clausen did. And as someone else pointed out, Clausen DID throw an INT today.

so we're not suppose to count cutlers int since it was a hail marry, but we're suppose to count clausens int on 4th and long on the last offensive play of the game?

got it.

what we learned today is cutler is not is not worth 125 million. a guy who hasn't started in 4 years out performed him.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we're not suppose to count cutlers int since it was a hail marry, but we're suppose to count clausens int on 4th and long on the last offensive play of the game?

got it.

what we learned today is cutler is not is not worth 125 million. a guy who hasn't started in 4 years out performed him.

Outperformed him? Clausen and Cutler had the exact same passer rating against the Lions. The difference being Cutler threw for a lot more yards than Clausen because he threw the ball more. Clausen's INT was legit because the game was on the line. Just a 6 point game. Cutler's 2nd INT wasn't legit because it was a meaningless pass that he just threw up for grabs. So Cutler's rating should have been higher. So I don't know how you can say Clausen outperformed Cutler. Whether Cutler is worth 125 million is a completely different issue. He's not worth that much. But what we saw today was that the offense was no better with Clausen. It was worse than the average offense that Cutler put up this season.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I didn't know any better, I'd say ATF was really that skinny little cokehead blonde, that married Jay.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF, do you even watch the game maigne, or do you just crunch the stat-lines afterwards?

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outperformed him? Clausen and Cutler had the exact same passer rating against the Lions. The difference being Cutler threw for a lot more yards than Clausen because he threw the ball more. Clausen's INT was legit because the game was on the line. Just a 6 point game. Cutler's 2nd INT wasn't legit because it was a meaningless pass that he just threw up for grabs. So Cutler's rating should have been higher. So I don't know how you can say Clausen outperformed Cutler. Whether Cutler is worth 125 million is a completely different issue. He's not worth that much. But what we saw today was that the offense was no better with Clausen. It was worse than the average offense that Cutler put up this season.

clausen played without brandon marshall, and hasn't had near the time to work with the first team as cutler, aside from not having started a game in 4 years.

and clausen had to force the pass because it was forth and game.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

should have taken the chip shot field goal to get points on the board. should have hurried the offense after the bennett play. overall though, claussen managed the game and had a chance to win. detroit expected a cake walk the bears showed some heart. claussen beat by his own team mates and drops.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should have taken the chip shot field goal to get points on the board. should have hurried the offense after the bennett play. overall though, claussen managed the game and had a chance to win. detroit expected a cake walk the bears showed some heart. claussen beat by his own team mates and drops.

i didn't get that either.

the refs also missed a pi call on detroit, on the bears 3rd down play on the second or third to last possession of the game as well.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,931.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Imo Clausen will be the worst starting QB all season when he starts on Sunday.

The defense played well, but they scored just 14 points. However, Clausen was okay.

23 of 39 for 181 yards (4.6ypa), 2 TD's, 1 INT, and a 77 Passer Rating. That's a lot better than I thought he'd do.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF, do you even watch the game maigne, or do you just crunch the stat-lines afterwards?

I watched the game. What do you think the score would have been if not for the turnovers and botched punt return by the Lions? It's not about stats. Anyone who watched this game saw that this should have been a Lions blowout. Their bumbling mistakes pretty much gave the Bears the 14 points, and they blew several scoring opportunities. It's absolutely HILARIOUS if people think Clausen was an improvement over Cutler after the offense scored a grand total of 14 points on short field due to turnovers and botched punt. The offense did NOTHING today. Maybe the worst performance of the season.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what? clausen's pick was a 4th and 10 with pressure right in his face. he had to throw it up. cutler is obviously more talented than clausen but u really pushing it with comments like this.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The utter bias you have towards Cutler is honestly unlike anything I have ever seen in my life. It's amazing and honestly impressive.

If Jay throws that INT on a 4th down desperation throw on that last drive, there isn't even a snowball's chance in hell you say that was his fault, or that it was a "legit INT".

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure looked like the team played a lot harder for Clausen than they do for Cutler, didn't it? If you can get the WRs to wipe the vaseline off their hands you would have won. Lions ST was brutal but the Bears looked like an NFL team for the first time in a month yesterday.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I.m looking forward to that Det GB game. Jimmy played good.