• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler benched... Jimmy Clausen to start vs Lions.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bears just really want to assure the lions win the north

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF!!!

Per adam schefter on twitter. Confirmed and now on ESPN story to follow. ARE YOU KIDDING?

Bears are out of the playoffs. Why risk injury on a $120 million dollar QB that is having a shity year. Let him get his head straight.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tin foil hat theory: after Emery clearly signaling Trestman should have fired Kromer but didn't and its likely to cost him... Trestman is now set to prove the problem isn't his coaching it is Emery over committing to a qb who can't get the job done. Cutler may just be the punching bag in the middle.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ba_ASEVCEAA2in3.jpg

He's more than just a QB, guys. He's a goddamned human being.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing... the benching made through leaks to ESPN is particularly crappy for the organization. This is some scorched earth stuff.

If you're going to bench Cutler, you could handle it with a little more dignity. The decision I understand was made this morning well before Trestman's press conference. He could have simply said "we're benching Jay for this game, we're not in the playoff hunt and we want to see what Clausen can do against a good and motivated defense to see if we can rely on Clausen in a pinch next season." Or you could have even said "Cutler has great skills, but we need him to play better. Everyone needs to know we have no sacred cows so we are going to play Clausen this week."

Either way you somewhat preserve some trade value, dignity for Jay, and if we are stuck with him, our chances of getting a great coach are small instead of nonexistent. Instead we pretty much are saying to coaching candidates "come to the Bears, our QB stinks, trust us as insiders... we may cut him and not have a viable quarterback at all or we may draft the third best qb this year and hope by the time you're in your third year he's not a bust." It seems like the way this was handled may have potentially put the franchise back three years. I don't see a short term solution. Drafting a qb? It took Drew Brees three years to be worth squat which is why the Chargers drafted Rivers. Stafford is still developing after how many years? Its not like we have a top pick and a sure fire qb waiting to be drafted by us. This sucks.

I've been a realist about Jay Cutler from the get. I didn't think he was as good as his supporters did, but I never thought he was bad as his critics. But the past two weeks with Kromer and now the benching... that will get the worst out of anybody's performance. Its almost like they're trying to get into his head or something.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it... what does this do? What for? Why?
For Trestman to show he has accountability? What?
Now everyone is speculating that there is possibly a trade partner asking to "keep him healthy"- It's wildly speculative... who freaking knows.

What makes me laugh is that Clausen is going to be destroyed by the best Dline in the league- They won't be able to run... and Clausen will have to replaced by Jay or David Fales. "Fun bad" is going to be insane on Sunday. I'm really going to laugh when home fans start chanting to bring Jay back! haha.

This will not happen. Whether it should or not. Sorry.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys are approaching this with logic, which will not make any sense to the sensible. Look at it this way: Trestman is desperate to keep his job and he pinned some of the blame on his inability to bring out the best in Cutler... Basically saying Cutler is the problem. So this is his Hail Mary. If Clausen has few or no turnovers, plays a tight game, even if the Bears get destroyed, Trestman can take this to the McCaskey's and say, "See, I told you Cutler was the whole problem." Job saved.

Not even a chance in hell.

I agree he's trying to pin the blame on Jay. But not to save his job, that is impossible. It's just to try and create a little bit of doubt for people, make them think that perhaps Jay really caused all of this. He's going into unemployment, and he's thinking about his next job interviews.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted at the beginning of the season Clausen would take over and got negged for it. Calllllllllled it.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are keeping their playoff hopes alive! This is their last ditched effort to make it to the postseas... What? They aren't in the playoff race?! This is stupid. Maybe if they were being eaten alive 50-0 after the first half, throw Clausen into the fire, but until then... This is not exactly an ideal move.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manziel is a rookie going against a pretty damn good Bengals defense, Clausen is a sucky backup.

Yeah, but Manziel did not suck like a "rookie going through a learning curve in his first start".

Manziel sucked like; "A QB who is in WAY over his head in the NFL".

Take Luck's first start for instance. 200 yards 2 TD's 3 INT's. Got beat 41-21. THAT'S a debut from a rookie that you can say; "Eh… okay. He faced a good defense and made some mistakes. But he also did a few good things". With Manziel, it was just AAAALLLL bad. Nothing good. That's a terrible sign.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are keeping their playoff hopes alive! This is their last ditched effort to make it to the postseas... What? They aren't in the playoff race?! This is stupid. Maybe if they were being eaten alive 50-0 after the first half, throw Clausen into the fire, but until then... This is not exactly an ideal move.

Eh… I kind of think the other way around. At this point, why not see what you have in Jimmy?

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh… I kind of think the other way around. At this point, why not see what you have in Jimmy?
I suppose, maybe he will do better than in Carolina. I would say he had no weapons, but he had a couple, and a stout running game. I guess we will see on Sunday.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a chance in hell.

I agree he's trying to pin the blame on Jay. But not to save his job, that is impossible. It's just to try and create a little bit of doubt for people, make them think that perhaps Jay really caused all of this. He's going into unemployment, and he's thinking about his next job interviews.

You know that, I know that, everyone who watches football knows that, but this is the 2014 Bears we're talking about.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you make this into a bet or put him on your fantasy team?

yawn.

Agreed.

Kind of the equivalency of making a thousand dollar bet that you will make a full-court basketball shot. It's pretty dumb… if it goes in, all power to ya. But that doesn't change the fact it was a dumb bet.

Translation: Nobody could have really seen a fiasco of this magnitude coming the Bears in 2014.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess on the bright side for Bears fans, after the fire you can start anew.