• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curry passes to Durant in the Final minute

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All chaos in GS while the Cavs are resting their players hahahahahaha :evil:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bashing of ISOLATION is just knee-jerk flavor of the month by TV talking heads (2015-present)
It is still arguably the most effective late game offense, but it just rarely occurs in a perfect true ISO.
Most savvy defenses wont even allow it to happen.

1) Defenders are weakened. One on One defense suffers most with fatigue.
2) Teams are usually in the Bonus and Stars get whistles late. The incidence of drawing a foul is higher.
3) Turnovers don't happen. ISO produces the fewest turnovers of any offensive play.

When you have a late lead, you want to take advantage of the weakened defense.
You want the referees to be forced to make blocking calls, ISO draws closer attention to it.
And the absolute last WORST POSSIBLE THING is to turn the ball over with a late lead.

You cannot lose late unless you start turning it over. That has always been the one golden rule.
Now, if you are trailing late. You can use pick-n-roll or motion offenses.

An efficient shot is more valuable than ball security when trailing.

This is conventional wisdom, but that does not make it the best play. Teams score on about 30% of these plays, so while you do avoid the TO, you greatly reduce the chance of actually scoring and putting the game away when running an ISO play like this.

An ISO play with a late game lead like this is equivalent to an NFL team running the ball on 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes left to run clock instead of going for the first down and icing the game. This strategy is playing not to lose instead of playing to win. A set would yield a better scoring opportunity and the chance to win the game, instead of merely not losing it.

Besides, Memphis was getting the ball back either way. I would rather provide my team with the best chance to score in that situation, not to merely avoid a turnover. That is playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What chaos are you talking about?

Giving up a 24 point lead at home is chaos for the Warriors and to add to the fact they dont know who is going to take the last shot. What we have seen in recent years with the Warriors, this little problem, is chaos which I expected to happen at some point.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is conventional wisdom, but that does not make it the best play. Teams score on about 30% of these plays, so while you do avoid the TO, you greatly reduce the chance of actually scoring and putting the game away when running an ISO play like this.

An ISO play with a late game lead like this is equivalent to an NFL team running the ball on 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes left to run clock instead of going for the first down and icing the game. This strategy is playing not to lose instead of playing to win. A set would yield a better scoring opportunity and the chance to win the game, instead of merely not losing it.

Besides, Memphis was getting the ball back either way. I would rather provide my team with the best chance to score in that situation, not to merely avoid a turnover. That is playing not to lose instead of playing to win.
Tell that to Kyrie......if you have the personnel....

ehh if you have the personnel to run ISO- and its what you do its what you do

this is just a prime example of the inevitable adjustment process that comes with getting durant - who is so drilled in his head to go iso from years at OKC- as contrasted with Curry and Draymonds instincts.

all though- according to some on here (not saying you)- these problems were all figured out in October.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruh, Zach Randolph was guarding Kevin Durant. KD getting the ball in that situation is just smart basketball. Pulling up that far out is maybe not a good shot, but KD getting the ball there is just simply the right call

Last edited:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up a 24 point lead at home is chaos for the Warriors and to add to the fact they dont know who is going to take the last shot. What we have seen in recent years with the Warriors, this little problem, is chaos which I expected to happen at some point.
Kobe/Shaq, the 2004 Lakers, and everything about the 2013 Lakers is chaos....THIS is just some manufacturered, fake drama

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell that to Kyrie......if you have the personnel....

ehh if you have the personnel to run ISO- and its what you do its what you do

this is just a prime example of the inevitable adjustment process that comes with getting durant - who is so drilled in his head to go iso from years at OKC- as contrasted with Curry and Draymonds instincts.

all though- according to some on here (not saying you)- these problems were all figured out in October.

I get what you are saying. Kyrie and KD are two of the best in ISO.

I still think it is the wrong strategy in that situation, yet every team does it. Tie game, shot clock off, yes, you run ISO and take the shot close to the buzzer.

With the 2 point lead and 35 seconds? I say run offense. I am going to make up some numbers here, but I don't think they are too far fetched.

Say your ISO play gets you a bucket 40% of the time and your ball screen set gets you one 50% with a 5% chance at a TO. Worst case you lose the ball and give up a runout layup that ties the game and gives you possession at the buzzer for a game winner.

I still think with the lead, the best play is to run whatever gives your team the best chance at a bucket. ISO, even for the best scorers in the game usually isn't it.

It seems like every game I watch where this situation plays out, the offense goes ISO with the lead, takes a tough shot at the end of the clock. The defense inevitably gets the stop and a chance to tie or go ahead.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruh, Zach Randolph was guarding Kevin Durant. KD getting the ball in that situation is just smart basketball. Pulling up that far out is maybe not a good shot, but KD getting the ball there is just simply the right call

This is true.

I guess it is more the shot selection in this situation that was the problem. KD could have a gotten a lot better.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a better call.

KD using Curry's pick. And then getting a switch, with KD against Conley. Or being double teamed and passing the ball to an unguarded Curry.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the game, Kerr said he thought about calling a TO, but he liked the mismatch of having zebo on Durant and decided to let it go. Curry - to me - was pretty obviously not happy about it and Draymond definitely wasn't... but their coach seemed fine with it. He had a TO in his pocket.

Durant got a better shot off than Curry did on the next possession. KD is going to be the easy target when things go wrong because he's the new guy and they've had so much success without him. Don't feel bad for him, though, he chose to go.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry needs the ball in crunch time. Selfish move by Durant. Possibly a by product of all those years in OKC when Westbrook took the exact same situation away from him.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry needs the ball in crunch time. Selfish move by Durant. Possibly a by product of all those years in OKC when Westbrook took the exact same situation away from him.

Curry had a selfish act the possession before

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I get Draymond was mad but that effort on that play was embarrassing. I don't care how mad you are. You can't just sit there in the corner once the shot goes up. He made zero effort to even get in position for a possible offensive rebound.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Sabemetric dorks who bash the ISO judge don't judge it properly.

1. When a pick and roll becomes a missed roll or screen leak...it no longer statistically is tracked as a pick-and-roll. Then it usually devolves into a rushed ISO with little time left on the clock.
So instead of a failed pick-and-roll, the analytic dorks will count that as a failed ISO play.

2. When an ISO play is called, and the opposing team doubles. Then the ISO player moves it around which is recorded as motion offense. Motion offense gets the credit, but the ISO caused the defensive gap. The ISO play call was correct, but it is tracked as a motion play instead.

If the Stat guys modify the results, you end up seeing the ISO as a more efficient result over time in the last minutes while having a lead.

When leading late, the ISO works.
ISO isn't great during the rest of the game but lethal at the end of games.... as it relies on exhausted defenders for those ISO mismatches.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Sabemetric dorks who bash the ISO judge don't judge it properly.

1. When a pick and roll becomes a missed roll or screen leak...it no longer statistically is tracked as a pick-and-roll. Then it usually devolves into a rushed ISO with little time left on the clock.
So instead of a failed pick-and-roll, the analytic dorks will count that as a failed ISO play.

2. When an ISO play is called, and the opposing team doubles. Then the ISO player moves it around which is recorded as motion offense. Motion offense gets the credit, but the ISO caused the defensive gap. The ISO play call was correct, but it is tracked as a motion play instead.

If the Stat guys modify the results, you end up seeing the ISO as a more efficient result over time in the last minutes while having a lead.

When leading late, the ISO works.
ISO isn't great during the rest of the game but lethal at the end of games.... as it relies on exhausted defenders for those ISO mismatches.

First of all, sabermetrics is baseball. LOL.

Second, it isn't even about analytics. ISO is easy to defend. Pick and roll requires either switching, which leads to really bad matchups, or they have to defend it with 3 guys. I am not saying pick and roll is the answer either, but it is usually a better option than ISO.

Lastly, Durant had the matchup he wanted, so don't bail him or with a 23 foot jumper off the dribble. He could have gotten anywhere he wanted to go and drawn extra defenders or gotten a better look. In that situation ISO probably was the right call given the matchup, but KD has to do more with it.

Reactions: LAD

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a better call.

KD using Curry's pick. And then getting a switch, with KD against Conley. Or being double teamed and passing the ball to an unguarded Curry.
In theory, he would of gotten double teamed(or the help would of come), if he would of just taken Z-Bo off the dribble and not settled for that 30 footer

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dirty little secret of Pick-N-Roll basketball is turnovers.
If you defend it properly, you get a lot of turnovers on the switches and easy baskets the other way.

The true ISO almost never creates turnovers and it allows for the easiest hustle back on defense.
When you have a lead late, the only way you can lose would be if you keep turning it over and don't get on D.

TURNOVERS suck.
No single stat moves the W-L more than the turnover.
And they happen more often when players are exhausted. The ISO controls turnovers better than anything.

With a lead, I am not taking that risk.
I will run ISO with my best player 100 times out of 100 when people are exhausted and my team leads.

Now if I am trailing, I would run the pick-n-roll. Points are needed. Turnovers are worth the risk. It doesn't matter if you don't get back on defense if you don't score regardless.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, can't wait to watch LBJ besmirch KD and Stephanie in a finals again.

2 complete choke artists

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What chaos are you talking about?
The second best player in the world, KD and destroying their bench to acquire him, has made them a worse team.

If Cavs stay healthy, it won't take them more than 5 to put them out this year.