• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I re-organized the roster to reflect off-season status.

I researched the options issue (I have been keeping a list of Giants transactions since 2001, so I looked it up).

Hembree, Monell have 3 option years left (never optioned to minors).

Kickham, Dunning, Escobar, Noonan and Perez were optioned (only) in '13, so 2 option years left.

Kieschnick, Kontos were optioned in '13 and '12, so only 1 option left.
Hector Sanchez and Surkamp werre optioned in '11 and '13, so 1 option year left.

Adrianza, Peguero have no options left.
And I'm pretty sure Abreu has no options left (that's why KC put him on waivers).

THE GIANTS have only optioned Machi this year. He's also only seen MLB playing time with SF. I can't find any record of TOR, PIT, or TB adding him to the 40-man. He prob has 2 option years left.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I researched the options issue (I have been keeping a list of Giants transactions since 2001, so I looked it up).

Hembree, Monell have 3 option years left (never optioned to minors).

Kickham, Dunning, Escobar, Noonan and Perez were optioned (only) in '13, so 2 option years left.

Kieschnick, Kontos were optioned in '13 and '12, so only 1 option left.
Hector Sanchez and Surkamp werre optioned in '11 and '13, so 1 option year left.

Adrianza, Peguero have no options left.
And I'm pretty sure Abreu has no options left (that's why KC put him on waivers).

THE GIANTS have only optioned Machi this year. He's also only seen MLB playing time with SF. I can't find any record of TOR, PIT, or TB adding him to the 40-man. He prob has 2 option years left.

:suds:

I don't care what the rest of the board says, Marco. You are OK in my book...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that whenever I get a complement, it starts out with "I don't care what the rest of the board says"?

:yahoo:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added Timmeh to the roster.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants: 5 Players Who Should Be Replaced This Offseason

San Francisco Giants: 5 Players Who Should Be Replaced This Offseason

No. 1: Barry Zito
The Barry Zito era as a Giant is over. When former owner Peter McGowan orchestrated the deal to bring Zito to San Francisco with a seven-year $126 million contract, many cringed at the price tag, myself included.

No. 2: Andres Torres
The Giants caught lightning-in-a-bottle in 2010 when Andres Torres helped lead them to their first World Series title in San Francisco. Torres quickly became a fan favorite for his hustle and enthusiasm.

After a down year in 2011, the Giants traded Torres to the Mets in a deal that netted them Angel Pagan.

Torres played poorly in New York and was traded back to the Giants prior to the 2013 season. The plan was to platoon Torres and Gregor Blanco in left field. This plan failed miserably.

No. 3: Jose Mijares
Jose Mijares came to the Giants midway through the 2012 season and helped the Giants to the playoffs and eventual world championship. He became the third lefty in the Giants' bullpen. This is a luxury that manager Bruce Bochy likes to have.

While with the Giants in 2012, Mijares had an ERA of 2.55 and WHIP of 1.245, in 17.2 innings of work.

Mijares looked like he would be a mainstay in the Giants' 2013 bullpen. However, as the season wore on, Mijares pitched worse and worse.

No. 4: Ryan Vogelsong
The Giants should not exercise their $6.5 million option to retain Ryan Vogelsong. That is simply too much money for a player who is the fifth starter coming off a very poor year and is 36 years of age.

The Giants will be much better off giving Vogelsong his $300,000 buyout and trying to sign him to a contract significantly below the $6.5 million.

No. 5: Brett Pill
Brett Pill has always shown the potential to be a good big league hitter. He has excelled at every level in the minors, but has never really received a fair chance in San Francisco.

Manager Bruce Bochy shuffles Pill in and out of the lineup and it's very difficult for him to find any consistency at the plate. Pill has very good power, but his average suffers by being a spot player. In order for Pill to have a chance to reach his potential, it does not appear to be with the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that whenever I get a complement, it starts out with "I don't care what the rest of the board says"?

:yahoo:

I don't care what the rest of the board says, you've no inferiority complex....

:whistle::whistle:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogey and Zito options officially declined.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added J-Lo to the 40.

A bit early, but I do not expect any hang-ups...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added J-Lo to the 40.

A bit early, but I do not expect any hang-ups...

Careful, that is how things get jinxed.

"He leads the team in free throw percentage..." Clank.

"He has really cut down on his strikeouts this year...and there's a called strike three."

"If you like your doctor, you can keep him..."

:scratch:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Added to the 40-man today:

Adam Duvall
Gary Brown
Kendry Flores
Hunter Strickland

Guillermo Moscoso DFA'd.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These players are all subject to the Rule V draft:

Jarrett Parker
Carter Jurica
Joe Staley
Chris Lofton
Dan Burkhart
Austin Fleet
Brett Bochy
Bobby Haney
Brett Krill
Jeff Arnold
Eric Sim
Ryan Bradley
Devin Harris
Jacob Dunnington
Gabriel Cornier
Leonardo Fuentes
Jesus Galindo
Hector Mercedes
Christian Paulino
Fernando Pujadas
Alberto Robles
Luis Angeles
Marvin Barrios
Keurin Feliz
Renzo Friete
Juan Nova
Ariel Hernandez

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bochy, huh? I was hoping that he would be clear of this list. That kid was impressive to me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parker, Bochy and Galindo are all possibilities in the draft. None of them are serious threats to be lost, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens with Pegs, Pill and Adrianza? They are all out of options. I suspect Pegs and Adrianza will be traded. They are both too good to DFA, but just dont fit our needs. Perez SHOULD get the 5th OF spot, but the Giants have a history of playing the option game to an extreme, so they may go with Pegs out of camp and send JCP to Fresno, because they can. I think Pill will be given a shot at making the team, but he is definitely a DFA candidate.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently have 6 Arb-eligible players, but only 5 open 40-spots. Who gets non-tendered?

Belt, Arias and Blanco are no-brainers. Petit is likely to get a contract. Abreu and Mijares are the likely targets for non-tender, IMO.

However, we still need one more SP and a corner OF. Maybe Pegs, Adrianza and/or Pill will be used in trades to fill these holes.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently have 6 Arb-eligible players, but only 5 open 40-spots. Who gets non-tendered?

Belt, Arias and Blanco are no-brainers. Petit is likely to get a contract. Abreu and Mijares are the likely targets for non-tender, IMO.

However, we still need one more SP and a corner OF. Maybe Pegs, Adrianza and/or Pill will be used in trades to fill these holes.

Mijares is a clear candidate to be DFA'd or traded. With Lopez coming back, we don't need both and frankly probably can't afford both. He hasn't done anything on the mound to make me miss him that much anyway.

Arias is likely a lock, which makes Abreu expendable. But the Giants like Abreu a lot so he's a tough call. Pill could really help his value to this team if he shows he can play the OF, but when can he show that? He's probably out.

Peggs probably makes it for the reason you stated, but he is a prime trade candidate. Sad to see, I have always been intrigued by his tools. Adrianza is in the same boat, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he'll lock down that final utility spot. I hope so at least, he is fun to watch.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. I'd say the only truely safe ones of the group is going to be Belt and Petit, everyone else could be used in a trade or DFA'd.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty surprised about Bochy, especially since we did elevate Strickland to the 40. Turkey Day with dad might be a little difficult this year.

A little surprised about Parker. Actually, I was first surprised they sent him to the Fall League, then when he had a pretty good month down there, I thought, ok, maybe he's turning a corner. (Not that any success in the Fall League shrieks "Hall of Fame!") Then they expose him to the Rule V draft. Seems a little odd to me. On the other hand, if he goes on the 40, who do you expose instead?

The rest of the list, just scrubs, marginal guys, organizational depth. Well, Dunnington might be something if he could ever stay healthy. And Galindo is supposed to have some talent but he's always struggling to do anything above low A.