• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain bombed again today, ERA up to 12.15.

Heston getting in the act as well, ERA now at 5.65.

Hope you guys are right.
As tz said earlier...

I think this next round through we can start to look at performance, but still not with too close of an eye. The final time through is when they should start to really try to put everything together and actually get results.

If everyone still bombs in the last 5 games, THEN my concern will be slightly piqued. But only slightly.

We are talking about PRACTICE.

Practice.

Not a game.

Not a game...

PRACTICE!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As tz said earlier...

I think this next round through we can start to look at performance, but still not with too close of an eye. The final time through is when they should start to really try to put everything together and actually get results.

If everyone still bombs in the last 5 games, THEN my concern will be slightly piqued. But only slightly.

We are talking about PRACTICE.

Practice.

Not a game.

Not a game...

PRACTICE!

02.jpg

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me in as somebody who is slightly worried about the starters after Bum and Cueto.

Looking forward to watching the lineup though.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me in as somebody who is slightly worried about the starters after Bum and Cueto.

Looking forward to watching the lineup though.
A couple of our boys are just raking it.
Barring injuries I'm optimistic of a Win. Model 94 yr. :)

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But these guys are not TRYING to get outs. They are trying to get their work in and trying to find their slots. In thise situations, they are pitching while OCMPLETELY ignoring the batter and the situation. They may, for example, be throwing 15 consecutive curveballs just to get the feel of it, or throwing a repetitive cycle of pitches (FB, CB, SL, FB, CB, SL,...) so they can get used to changing grips.

ERA means next to nothing. However, almost all of the SPs have very nice peripherals (Ks, BBs, etc)
The body language and facial expressions of the pitchers I've seen thus far would seem to belie your post somewhat.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The body language and facial expressions of the pitchers I've seen thus far would seem to belie your post somewhat.
They are professional athletes and naturally have very competitive natures. Of course that want to perform well. Even when working out, I have that internal competitiveness to get that extra set or to run just a little longer.

Cain mentioned yesterday that they are not sequencing their pitches the same way they would in the reg season. That would lend credence to my theory.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at the last several years of ST stats on ESPN. There have been some individual cases of high ERA's in ST, but nothing like what we are seeing across the board here. Let's hope it's some new approach. I don't see any other contenders having this issue. Obviously the last rotation will tell us the most.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at the last several years of ST stats on ESPN. There have been some individual cases of high ERA's in ST, but nothing like what we are seeing across the board here. Let's hope it's some new approach. I don't see any other contenders having this issue. Obviously the last rotation will tell us the most.

I wonder if the other contenders have set rotations like we do? I think SammyJam said something along the lines of "we're all veterans, we know what we need to do to get ready." I want to believe that none of the SP are focusing on the results right now -- they're looking at getting ready. Pitch sequencing, situational pitching, etc. are probably not the priority right now. Building arm strength and stamina is likely the focus. Boch doesn't seem too worried, so I'm not going to freak out.

Until Bum gives up a couple of runs in the first inning in Milwaukee...then it's #weaklink time.

:dhd:

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's time, but I'd agree that we need to start seeing results starting Thursday.
Well that certainly didn't happen :( 19 hits and 16 runs.
Your euphemism for a bad pitching performance came to mind while I was at the game last night but I'll refrain from using it here seeing as how "these guys are not TRYING to get outs".
Dunning and Gearrin must have read your post and taken it to heart.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the opening roster is now set. The only variances from expectations are Brown over Susac and Gearrin over Parker/Mac.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all had me convinced, over the offseason, that they wouldn't carry 13 pitchers and 4 outfielders.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all had me convinced, over the offseason, that they wouldn't carry 13 pitchers and 4 outfielders.

I don't think it'll be a long-term thing. Couple of weeks and then back to 12 pitchers and 5 OF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it'll be a long-term thing. Couple of weeks and then back to 12 pitchers and 5 OF
I think it is a combination of 3 things that caused that structure.

1) Cain not 100%
2) SPs not showing real well in their outings
3) Gearrin showing very well, and they just dont want to lose him.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a combination of 3 things that caused that structure.

1) Cain not 100%
2) SPs not showing real well in their outings
3) Gearrin showing very well, and they just dont want to lose him.

Real meaning: he's one of the few pitchers we have whose ERA is less than his height.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then Gorkys time?
I suspect they have very high hopes for Gorkys on the '17 squad (as Blanco's replacement, as he moves on to a lower-tier club to start). This year, I fear he is too redundant with Pagan and Blanco.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect they have very high hopes for Gorkys on the '17 squad (as Blanco's replacement, as he moves on to a lower-tier club to start). This year, I fear he is too redundant with Pagan and Blanco.

He's the perfect platoon mate for Shark. Not much power, but he makes contact and gets on base.

Just like Shark, really.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure the Giants' FO is too concerned about that. Think about the current bench:
Gregor Blanco
Kelby Tomlinson
Trevor Brown
Ehire Adrianza

We've got a couple of pitchers who would be considered better power offensive weapons off the bench than these guys. I doubt the lack of power (which I assume is why you say Gorkys is too redundant) concerns them.