• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I lost my nickel, but just barely. SD 2B have a .542 OPS. TB catchers have a .534 OPS. But that's it.

It goes to show what an upgrade Castillo would be if we could sign him and convince him to play 2B for at least the rest of the year. If he could hit at a .750 OPS, that would upgrade our average starters by .025. That would be huge.
Per MLBTR, the Yankees are about to make an offer to Castillo, and they want him to play second base.

Sabes, it's now or never.

YUUUUUUP!!!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per MLBTR, the Yankees are about to make an offer to Castillo, and they want him to play second base.

Sabes, it's now or never.

YUUUUUUP!!!

Well, if it's $20M/yr thru 2020, I hope Sabey-Sabes passes.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holy fuck.

As much as I hate to pass on a guy like him, that is just ludicrous.

Edit:

Never mind. I misread your post. I thought you were saying that WAS their offer. I didn't realize you were just offering a hypothetical.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course. But this is our last, best hope of infusing some new energy right now into a team that desperately needs it.

Offer him a million a year more than the NYY. Offer the NYY Crick for a bucket of balls to not sign him. Tell Castillo that the moment he signs we'll call up Daniel Carbonnel.

Whatever it takes, Sabes.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. But this is our last, best hope of infusing some new energy right now into a team that desperately needs it.

Offer him a million a year more than the NYY. Offer the NYY Crick for a bucket of balls to not sign him. Tell Castillo that the moment he signs we'll call up Daniel Carbonnel.

Whatever it takes, Sabes.

Offers aren't publicly posted (that's how Magowan got bent over with the Zito contract - he couldn't "offer $1M more" because he didn't know what others were offering).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offers aren't publicly posted (that's how Magowan got bent over with the Zito contract - he couldn't "offer $1M more" because he didn't know what others were offering).

So he offered $90 million more just to play it safe?

:gaah:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not our money, and the team won 2 World Series rings in the time of that contract.

BEST
CONTRACT
EVER

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had no idea what was really being offered. My guess is that Boras 'let it slip' confidentially what the highest offer was (completely making it up, of course) and Magowan fell for it. I was laughing my ass off when I heard what the Mets were rumored to be offering ($90M/5 yrs). I cried when I heard what the Giants gave him.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not our money, and the team won 2 World Series rings in the time of that contract.

BEST
CONTRACT
EVER

Also let's remember Zito was a very key contributor in the 2012 playoffs. I think he earned his contract, just like Huff and Scutaro earned theirs. Even though Zito didn't earn his until the end, and those others earned theirs before they even got them.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had no idea what was really being offered. My guess is that Boras 'let it slip' confidentially what the highest offer was (completely making it up, of course) and Magowan fell for it. I was laughing my ass off when I heard what the Mets were rumored to be offering ($90M/5 yrs). I cried when I heard what the Giants gave him.

And then the Giants dried your eyes with 2 rings, including one with a big 'Z' on it.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In very speculative (on my part) defense of Magowan, he saw the literal (sorry Cal) value of putting fannies in the seats, which he had done with the relatively new ballpark and the star power of Barry Bonds. He probably was banking (literally, again, sorry Cal) on Zito to carry the superstar torch to keep the fans coming. While Zito was, in the end, wildly overpaid, the fans DID keep coming, the FO sharpened their pencils and their scouting skills, and we parlayed Timmeh/Cain/Bum/Posey with a decent supporting cast into two WS rings. We were able to keep the best of our home-grown players, and supplement them with some very good tactical acquisitions, all because of increased revenue, in turn because of the fans' perception that the FO was really trying, like they did with Zito.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but if properly spent, you can put together one helluva ballclub.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In very speculative (on my part) defense of Magowan, he saw the literal (sorry Cal) value of putting fannies in the seats, which he had done with the relatively new ballpark and the star power of Barry Bonds. He probably was banking (literally, again, sorry Cal) on Zito to carry the superstar torch to keep the fans coming. While Zito was, in the end, wildly overpaid, the fans DID keep coming, the FO sharpened their pencils and their scouting skills, and we parlayed Timmeh/Cain/Bum/Posey with a decent supporting cast into two WS rings. We were able to keep the best of our home-grown players, and supplement them with some very good tactical acquisitions, all because of increased revenue, in turn because of the fans' perception that the FO was really trying, like they did with Zito.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but if properly spent, you can put together one helluva ballclub.

Your first use of "literal" is completely proper. No apologies needed.

The second use was a new-age use of the term, but, even I would have had a hard time getting irritated at that use, since you could have argued irony as the literary device, which would work perfectly.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But Zito *didn't* put butts in the seats. I went to games in 2008 and 2009 (because I got free tix). If you want, I'll post a picture I took of the stands less than 5 minutes before first pitch one day - empty stadium. The fans started showing up in 2010 because of a winning team, and they kept coming afterwards because of the ring. NOT because of Zito.

I can understand signing a 'face' to the franchise to bring people in (in fact, I faintly remember Zito being referred to as 'the new face' by the team after the signing). But Zito was absolutely the wrong guy to bring in for that. And that isn't hindsight - I was against it from the start. I looked at the stats over his career and it was obvious in Dec 2006 that he was no longer pitching at a CY level. (But I expected him to pitch at a #3 level, with flashes of #2 at times.) Throwing the most money ever for a pitcher at Zito was just plain stupid. Zito *never* filled the seats.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest on Rusney Castillo:

Rusney Castillo Rumors: Monday ? MLB Trade Rumors

Rumors have the Phillies in the lead, with $40-$55 mm the pricetag.

One never knows what the agents are trying to put out there. But it looks like the price is going up. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

If that is the cost, Panik is looking a whole lot better. He has done better than I anticipated. (About time someone from the minors has.) Hope the pinky is getting better. There's always the Ronnie Lott solution there.

:omg:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently we have had Castillo in for a private workout:

Rusney Castillo Rumors: Thursday ? MLB Trade Rumors

Castillo privately worked out for the Reds and Mariners within the past week, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports. The late date of these workouts was due to scheduling, Rosenthal notes, and shouldn’t be thought of as a hint that Castillo is favoring either of these two clubs. Six other teams (the Cubs, Giants, Phillies, Red Sox, Tigers and Yankees) have now had Castillo in for a private workout, Rosenthal lists.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CSNBA:

As the market for Cuban players keeps exploding, an industry source confirmed Castillo’s price tag will wind up being much closer to what the White Sox guaranteed Jose Abreu ($68 million) than what the Los Angeles Dodgers invested in Yasiel Puig ($42 million).

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CSNBA:

As the market for Cuban players keeps exploding, an industry source confirmed Castillo’s price tag will wind up being much closer to what the White Sox guaranteed Jose Abreu ($68 million) than what the Los Angeles Dodgers invested in Yasiel Puig ($42 million).

Worth every penny, no loss of prospects, not our money, time for our guys to step it up to the LA $$$ challenge.