• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it may be good intellectual exercise to investigate this point, from a practical standpoint, I suspect we will need Castillo long before Aug 31, much less Sep 29, to even get to the playoffs, much less get anywhere in them.

While I'm for adding him, I think the team we have (plus a healthy Pagan) is good enough to get a wild card. They may not but they are as good as the other 3-4 teams in the hunt. And we still have an outside shot at the division (not likely)

When the season started this is pretty much what we thought we had, Dodgers win the division, we compete for a wild card. The first 2 months were a cruel head fake to make us think we were better than we are.

We'll probably win the projected 89-91 games.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on when {agan will get back into CF for the Giants?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, it will be good to have the whole gang together again. Minus Cain. I hope Cain gets right with the operation and is back for the playoffs. He needs to be our second starter to beat the A's in the world series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaned up Limbo...

Uggla gone.
Noonan cleared waivers and will report to Fresno.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaned up Limbo...

Uggla gone.
Noonan cleared waivers and will report to Fresno.

Glad to see the plug pulled early on the Uggla experiment.

I think Noonan can help. He was a very good a few years ago, and looked promising. Has really not done well lately, though.

With the rate we have gone through 2B, we are going to need more org depth there! :D

I think Panik and Duffy (and perhaps EA) are the future there. Unless the Giants can make a huge upgrade trade for a 2B, stick with the kids. Let them get MLB experience, let them grow as hitters. We won't be able to spend $10 million on every position.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see the plug pulled early on the Uggla experiment.

I think Noonan can help. He was a very good a few years ago, and looked promising. Has really not done well lately, though.

With the rate we have gone through 2B, we are going to need more org depth there! :D

I think Panik and Duffy (and perhaps EA) are the future there. Unless the Giants can make a huge upgrade trade for a 2B, stick with the kids. Let them get MLB experience, let them grow as hitters. We won't be able to spend $10 million on every position.

We still have Tomlinson and Arroyo in the system, as well as Ryder Jones, who has the potential to be a 2B (although he has been playing SS and 3B in the pros, which is what you do with guys until you give up on those positions and move them to 2B).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously management has given no indication in this direction, but is it out of the question to let Posey try to play 2B? Obviously that is contingent upon one of our other catchers emerging as a legit MLB player. I know we have discussed this before.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously management has given no indication in this direction, but is it out of the question to let Posey try to play 2B? Obviously that is contingent upon one of our other catchers emerging as a legit MLB player. I know we have discussed this before.

I sorry, me English bad...this...is joke?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sorry, me English bad...this...is joke?

Not unless you think think this is a joke:

Buster Posey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"As a junior at Lee County High School, Posey pitched and played shortstop."

"Posey played college baseball for the Florida State Seminoles under coach Mike Martin. He played shortstop as a freshman at Florida State, starting all 65 games for the Seminoles."

"During the college offseason, Posey started at shortstop for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in 2006 when they won the Cape Cod Baseball League championship."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So one could argue that shortstop is Buster's "natural" position. It's a very small step to transition from there to 2B. He only played catcher at FSU because they needed one.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone by being logical. I know he's not the fastest guy on the team. But how fast do you have to be to play a decent 2B? I wouldn't move him there for his glove anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2B is a long-shot solution for him, but I think that is Plan D (A = Catcher; B = 1B; C = 3B; D = 2B).

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that he actually is not good at 2B or does not like it. I know he was not thrilled with the game where he played all 9 positions. That was a marketing ploy done by FSU and he was not included in the discussions.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2B is a long-shot solution for him, but I think that is Plan D (A = Catcher; B = 1B; C = 3B; D = 2B).

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that he actually is not good at 2B or does not like it. I know he was not thrilled with the game where he played all 9 positions. That was a marketing ploy done by FSU and he was not included in the discussions.

A: Catcher is not the preferred long-term solution for him.

B: 1B - Brandon Belt.

C: 3B - Pablo Sandoval.

D: 2B - Who else is really on the horizon in our org? Buncha 175 pound future .600 OPS slap hitters.

Let's think about the long-term solution sooner rather than later. Just saying.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A: Catcher is not the preferred long-term solution for him.

B: 1B - Brandon Belt.

C: 3B - Pablo Sandoval.

D: 2B - Who else is really on the horizon in our org? Buncha 175 pound future .600 OPS slap hitters.

Let's think about the long-term solution sooner rather than later. Just saying.

Are you talking tomorrow or 4 years from now?

Tomorrow = catcher. no back-up plans.

4 years from now = no idea. Too many variables.

As for internal options, I just posted 3 potential options (Tomlinson, Arroyo and Jones) and add EA, Panik and Duffy to that mix as well.

If you are looking at next year, who knows if Panda will still be around? If we cant get a LFer, Belt to LF is a low-probability possibility.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in the Belt to LF, Posey to 1B longshot boat.

I don't want him at catcher much longer though. He is too good of a hitter to stick there, and not a good enough defender.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not unless you think think this is a joke:

Buster Posey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"As a junior at Lee County High School, Posey pitched and played shortstop."

"Posey played college baseball for the Florida State Seminoles under coach Mike Martin. He played shortstop as a freshman at Florida State, starting all 65 games for the Seminoles."

"During the college offseason, Posey started at shortstop for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in 2006 when they won the Cape Cod Baseball League championship."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So one could argue that shortstop is Buster's "natural" position. It's a very small step to transition from there to 2B. He only played catcher at FSU because they needed one.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone by being logical. I know he's not the fastest guy on the team. But how fast do you have to be to play a decent 2B? I wouldn't move him there for his glove anyway.

Jeff Keppinger says "not very."

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Forget second base.He doesnt have the wheels for second base.We would lose any gain from the poor range he would have.This team is always going to be about pitching and defense.If I had to choose 3B would be my choice.Let Pablo walk with his 100 million contract demand. Let Buster play 3B.less demand on him to have great range.Let Susac and Sanchez fight it out in ST for catcher.Plus not paying Pablo leaves us with money to spend at SP and OF as well as maybe improving the bench.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forget second base.He doesnt have the wheels for second base.We would lose any gain from the poor range he would have.This team is always going to be about pitching and defense.If I had to choose 3B would be my choice.Let Pablo walk with his 100 million contract demand. Let Buster play 3B.less demand on him to have great range.Let Susac and Sanchez fight it out in ST for catcher.Plus not paying Pablo leaves us with money to spend at SP and OF as well as maybe improving the bench.

And it loses a legit middle of the order bat that our system produced.

Not....gonna....happen.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. You have nothing to base that judgment on.
2. You completely ignore his history at SS.
3. Jeff Kent.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. You have nothing to base that judgment on.
2. You completely ignore his history at SS.
3. Jeff Kent.

When Kent and Durham were with the Gs, they were consistently the worst (defensive) 2B in the NL (going on # of errors).

How many rings did the Giants win all those years with Kent and Durham? Oh, yeah - none.