• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will update the rosters with the Colvin move once we hear about the corresponding move. Probably tomorrow.

Although, I suspect it is Belt activated.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you CLEARLY know that the "Quote" button exists...

:noidea:

I was actually commenting on the previous two posts (the "why can't they..." and the following, which provided a response). I thought it was obvious - read the first one, the one right under it, and mine.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, I believe that MLB rules state that one can DFA somebody ONLY to make immediate room on the the 40-man roster for another player (by using the 'DFA' the team gets 10 days to trade, release, or re-assign). Otherwise, they have to immediately reassign (if permitted, and subject to waivers if required) or just plain release them (I assume that they would have been trying to trade them all along).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I think Duffy is on his was to New York. He is not in the AA lineup tonight, and Uggla did not travel with the team. Stay tuned.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Duffy is in fact on his way to NY, I would expect Uggla to be DFA'd very soon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have not seen much "officially" about the recent moves (and some of the "official" statements don't make much sense), but I have seen enough to piece together what I think happened...

Colvin and Uggla DFA'd (or were they just released?)

De Paula was released.

Abreu accepted an assignment to Fresno (this makes no sense -- He hasn't cleared waivers yet and he just used his escape clause; why stay?)

Duffy and Parker added to 40 and 25.

No news on Noonan.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have not seen much "officially" about the recent moves (and some of the "official" statements don't make much sense), but I have seen enough to piece together what I think happened...

Colvin and Uggla DFA'd (or were they just released?)

De Paula was released.

Abreu accepted an assignment to Fresno (this makes no sense -- He hasn't cleared waivers yet and he just used his escape clause; why stay?)

Duffy and Parker added to 40 and 25.

No news on Noonan.

TyCo was optioned; Uggla was DFA'd and allowed to decide if he wanted to report to Fresno. I haven't heard if Noonan will stay at Fresno or become a FA -- he gets to choose.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TyCo was optioned; Uggla was DFA'd and allowed to decide if he wanted to report to Fresno. I haven't heard if Noonan will stay at Fresno or become a FA -- he gets to choose.

Colvin: that's what was said yesterday, but I have heard today that he was actually released (One of the many conflicting reports that I have seen).

Uggla: Again, I have seen both DFA'd and released. Since they have no money invested in him, and have no desire to keep him, he was just released.

Noonan: I think he is still in limbo, but De Paula should be as well. Maybe they are both in the final stages of limbo, and the org decided not to bring De Paula back while Noonan is deciding his fate. BTW, why does he get to choose? He has never been DFA'd before. I thought the player could only choose after his SECOND DFA. I could be wrong about that, though...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colvin: that's what was said yesterday, but I have heard today that he was actually released (One of the many conflicting reports that I have seen).

Uggla: Again, I have seen both DFA'd and released. Since they have no money invested in him, and have no desire to keep him, he was just released.

Noonan: I think he is still in limbo, but De Paula should be as well. Maybe they are both in the final stages of limbo, and the org decided not to bring De Paula back while Noonan is deciding his fate. BTW, why does he get to choose? He has never been DFA'd before. I thought the player could only choose after his SECOND DFA. I could be wrong about that, though...

We need Marco to clear all this up...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, you're basically right. But it's a second OUTRIGHT ASSIGNMENT to the minors where the player can refuse. (Yeah, people often say "DFA'd" to mean "outrighted", but they really are different things. An outright assignment is what removes a guy from the 40-man and sends the player to the minors, but designating a player for assignment gives the club more 'flexibility' before they actually outright the guy.) I don't think that Noonan has ever been outrighted before.

There is also SECOND rule where a player can refuse assignment - if he has at least 3 years of service time in the majors.

A player who meets either of the above two criteria for refusal has 3 choices :

- accept the assignment

- immediately refuse the assignment and become a free agent

- temporarily accept the assignment (until the end of the year). He becomes a free agent a the end of the season if he has not been added back to the 40-man.

Note that a player with less than 5 years service time who is outrighted and elects to refuse assignment immediately becomes a free agent AND FORFEITS HIS SALARY/CONRACT for the year. There was a case with the A's several years ago (?Kouz?) where the player accepted the assignment because if he didn't he would have had to give up his guaranteed ?$2M? salary for the year. He was called up later in the season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt activated, no corresponding move announced yet. My guess: adios Ishi.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belt activated, no corresponding move announced yet. My guess: adios Ishi.

I cant imagine anything else would make sense. He gets DFA'd and will certainly clear. He will accept the assignment, or he wont. Who cares.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant imagine anything else would make sense. He gets DFA'd and will certainly clear. He will accept the assignment, or he wont. Who cares.

I think the next four roster moves are all clear: Hacktor back, Susser down. Oxy back, Parker down. EA back, Duffman down. Scoots back, Panik down.

Cain looks done for the year, so Biggie is safe.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the next four roster moves are all clear: Hacktor back, Susser down. Oxy back, Parker down. EA back, Duffman down. Scoots back, Panik down.

Cain looks done for the year, so Biggie is safe.

I am not convinced about your last 2 moves (EA/Duffy; Scoots/Panik). You may be right, but I could see the next week+ having a lot to say about that...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not convinced about your last 2 moves (EA/Duffy; Scoots/Panik). You may be right, but I could see the next week+ having a lot to say about that...

And...

Hactor still has options. They may prefer to send him to Fresno for a while first and keep Susac up for the experience.

I could see that one going either way.