• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Culliver

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't think the difference between a SS and FS is as large today? both have to be good at tackling and coverage, ALMOST the same.

up to this point Culliver is showing himself to be a very good cover guy. a very good cover guy is really hard to find, so why move him to safety expecially when we don't have to?

sfninersfan2991

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Culliver week 1 49ers vs. Packers

I rarely post on here, but I come here often to see how the 49ers fan base feels about the team. I have seen alot written on here about Chris Culliver. I am a fan of his so far as a 49er. I do not follow College football, so all of my thoughts on him are strictly his time as a 49er.

I thought that he has played very well for the 49ers this season, but there are a few posters on here that believe that he gives up too many big plays. He has given up a few big plays but so has every other CB in the NFL.

Culliver has been hated on with little to no proof that he has been bad this year. I am making this thread so there is proof of good play or bad play. I will mark the time and quarter of every play incase someone disagrees with me they can simply go to that play and watch for themselves.

Using the NFL rewind I am going to break down every pass that was attempted toward him and every play that he has been involved in this season.

i will keep note of where he lines up, but i will not be tracking number of plays he was in the game or the WRs he was covering when the ball was not thrown his way.

Week 1 49ers vs Packers

Culliver lined up on the left side the whole game no matter where the WRs lined up.

Culliver was not thrown at in first quarter.

8:56 left in the second quarter first and 5 49ers up 10-0:
Jones goes in motion presnap runs a drag route across the line of scrimmage and is tackled by Culliver for no gain. There was a penalty on GB away from the play so the play did not count.

7:40 left in the second quarter third and 2 niners up 10-0:
No help from a safety. Jones tries a double move. He fakes the slant and run a streak down the right side line. Culliver did not bite on the fake was in good position to break up the pass. Jones slightly pushes off before going up for the perfectly thrown ball. Jones makes the catch for a 28 yard gain but Offensive pass interference was called. The only complaint i have is that Culliver never turned to play the ball, but he was in good position to make a play the whole time. A packer fan could debate that the PI was very ticky tacky call but screw the Packers.

14:11 left in the third quarter second and 8 niners up 16-7:
Culliver playing about 10 yards off. I believe it was by design for Brown and Culliver to play off the WR most of the game in man coverage. No safety help. Nelson runs a six yard curl gains 7 yards. Culliver shoves him out of bounds right after the catch. The way we were lined up I do not see a way Culliver could have possibly played it any better. My thinking is that we were playing it be third and short and get them off the field the next play, but that is strictly my opinion.

:04 left in the third quarter first and 10 niners up 23-7
This is the only play that I saw Culliver make a mistake. Culliver again lined up about 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Jones runs a 5 yard out makes the catch turns breaks Cullivers tackle and gains 13 yards. Around 6 of those yards were after the missed tackle by Culliver. This play is the only first down given up by Culliver all game.

In the fourth quarter Culliver makes a tackle on Jennings. They were in a very soft zone and Jennings was no where near Culliver when he caught the ball. It was a nine yard gain.

:50 left in the fourth quarter fourth and 10 niners up by 8:
This play was the Packers last chance at staying in the game. Culliver was on an island against Jordy Nelson. Nelson runs a streak, but Culliver stays in his hip pocket. Culliver makes a play on the ball to knock it away and lock up the victory.

Game in review:
Culliver was thrown at 4 times and including the 10 yards taken off for the offensive PI the Packers WRs gained 10 yards on those plays. With how far off our corners play he had zero chance to stop either of the two completions that were made against him. I believe it was his job to simply make the tackle on those plays not to break up those passes, or they would of had him much closer to the line of scrimmage. I think we play most the season this way because the 49ers defense does such a great job of tackling. If making the tackle was his job on short passes he failed once when he let jones by him for the first down. In no way was he a liability in coverage in this game

Thrown at 4 times
allowed one first down missing the tackle
forced PI while covering Jones
Swats a pass away from Jordy Nelson to lock up the victory
I would give him an A- in this game.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keys to beating the 49ers
Early strikes will be key for a Ravens upset
Originally Published: January 30, 2013
By Vince Verhei | Football Outsiders

Neutralizing Frank Gore and the San Francisco ground game is one key for the Ravens.

On Tuesday, we looked at some of the Baltimore Ravens' worst games this season, and what weaknesses those games revealed that could come back to haunt John Harbaugh's team in the Super Bowl. Today, we're turning the tables and looking at the lowlights of the San Francisco 49ers and examining the holes in Jim Harbaugh's team.

As described in the Baltimore article, we're looking for each team's worst games as measured by DVOA, Football Outsiders' exclusive statistic that measures every play of the NFL season one at a time (explained further here). And it turns out that this is something of a challenge, because the 49ers had only two games with a negative DVOA this season, the 26-3 loss to the Giants in Week 6, and the 42-13 loss to Seattle in Week 16. Those are two very bad losses, but it's still hard to draw meaningful conclusions from a two-game sample. So, we'll have to add a trio of games in which San Francisco's DVOA barely snuck into positive numbers: a 24-13 loss to the Vikings in Week 3, a 24-all tie with the Rams in Week 10 and a 16-13 overtime loss in a rematch with the Rams in Week 13.

Two of these games came with Alex Smith at quarterback, and three with Colin Kaepernick. Despite the youngster's playoff heroics, it's important to remember that Kaepernick has started only nine games in his NFL career, and his lack of experience could come back to bite San Francisco at any time.

To be fair to Kaepernick (and Smith for that matter), it was the 49ers' passing defense, not the passing offense, that failed them in their worst games. San Francisco allowed these five opponents to complete 64 percent of their passes, and while those throws gained only 6.7 yards each, they produced nine touchdowns against five sacks and only one interception.

The 49ers were particularly vulnerable to the deep pass. Opponents in these five games completed half their passes that traveled more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, for an average of 11.8 yards per play. There was plenty of blame to go around on these bombs, but the most common victim was nickelback Chris Culliver, a second-round draft pick in 2011.

Chris Culliver has had a tendency to be beaten deep.

As Danny Tuccitto noted in FO's NFC Championship Game preview, Culliver actually had better coverage numbers over the course of the season than either of San Francisco's starting corners, Carlos Rogers or Tarell Brown. When he did make mistakes, though, they resulted in big chunks of yards for the 49ers' opponents.

Regardless of pass distance, most of San Francisco's coverage struggles came when its opponents were in scoring range. Inside their own 40-yard line, the 49ers allowed opponents to complete 66 percent of their passes, with nine touchdowns and no sacks or interceptions. And finally, it's worth noting that the 49ers played their worst in the first quarter, when opponents completed 69 percent of their passes for 8.7 yards per attempt.

The lesson of all these figures? The Ravens would be wise to let Joe Flacco loose early, and especially after they cross midfield. And if they're fortunate enough to get Torrey Smith matched up with Culliver (which will likely happen at some point, because San Francisco often uses Rogers in the slot in its nickel defense), that could be their best bet for a big play.

On the other side of the ball, the 49ers' rushing attack usually struggled in their worst games. Note the word "usually." There was nothing wrong with the ground game in Week 10, when Frank Gore had 97 yards on 21 carries and Kaepernick chipped in with 66 and eight. San Francisco's other four bad games, though, all started with spotty results when the 49ers tried to run the ball:

• In Week 3 against Minnesota, Gore carried 12 times for 63 yards, but also had a fumble. His backup, Kendall Hunter, rushed four times for exactly zero yards.

• The 49ers trailed most of the way against the Giants in Week 6 and ran the ball only 17 times, four of those scrambles by Smith and Kaepernick. Gore had 36 yards on eight carries, three of which resulted in no gain or a loss.

• Gore had more problems in the second Rams game, when he finished with 58 yards on 23 carries. Nearly half his yardage came on a gain of 23, and only six of his carries gained more than 2 yards.

• Gore was again limited against Seattle in Week 16, running just six times for 28 yards. The 49ers had only 19 runs on the day, seven by Kaepernick, including five scrambles.

Put it all together, and there's a pretty clear path to a Ravens Super Bowl win. They must win the opening drives on defense, then hit enough big plays in the passing game to take an early lead. That would go a long way to taking San Francisco's running attack off the table. It's not a foolproof plan -- Atlanta jumped ahead of the 49ers 17-0 in the NFC title game and Kaepernick still led them to a comeback victory -- but it's Baltimore's best shot to pull an upset in the Super Bowl. Some say that championships are won in the fourth quarter, but the winner of Sunday's game might be determined by what happens before the first quarter ends.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Culliver allowed 49.3% of the passes thrown his way to be completed. That is good for 11th in the league. I am not saying one way or the other on who is better, but damn bingo can't you be happy you have a good young corner on your favorite team?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Culliver allowed 49.3% of the passes thrown his way to be completed. That is good for 11th in the league. I am not saying one way or the other on who is better, but damn bingo can't you be happy you have a good young corner on your favorite team?

Good for 11th in the league when he is not even a starter. Is Rogers that much of an elite corner that he is unable to take the starting gig from Carlos? 50% of the passes thrown to him is completed is not saying much with regard to him being good or bad. It all depends to the circumstances at hand (where they first downs? Was it by design to prevent a prevent a long third down conversion-so you end up giving a short completion? Don't throw these types of statistics around unless you are able to provide the total picture with regard to situations and down and distances).

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Like how you used one game Jenkins had to pimp his entire year? Sorry but you have been shown number by several other people in several other threads and all you do is dismiss them. Then use one game as your argument why Jenkins is a beast. Like I said, I never stated who I think is better. Just that maybe you should enjoy a good young player on your favorite team. But you seriously have a problem with your obsession with Jenkins.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like how you used one game Jenkins had to pimp his entire year? Sorry but you have been shown number by several other people in several other threads and all you do is dismiss them. Then use one game as your argument why Jenkins is a beast. Like I said, I never stated who I think is better. Just that maybe you should enjoy a good young player on your favorite team. But you seriously have a problem with your obsession with Jenkins.

Nice! in one game he has forced one safety, recovered 1 one fumble, has deflected 14 passes, intercepted 4 passes, blocked one field goal, and scored 4 tds. Nice! He did that in one game. :suds:

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cully has 14 PD, 2 INT, 2 FF, Without as much playing time. Wtf is your point?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cully has 14 PD, 2 INT, 2 FF, Without as much playing time. Wtf is your point?

Oh here you go defending a back up DB again. You're so phucking slow you failed to realize why I posted those stats. Again, he posted those numbers in one game. Cully posted those numbers in 16games. Two years in the league and he still isn't a starter. Two years in the league and he still has not have one defensive touchdown. Two years in the league and he still has no instincts to play the position. Imagine if Jenkins had played more than one game this season, I wonder how his stats would turn out to be. I'm just happy Fischer had suspended him for the first game we played them earlier this year, Imagine how his stats would look in comparison to our stud backup allstar cornerback in Culliver.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Follow along please. You always talk about the game with his two pick sixes and how Cully has never done that. Now again, for the third time, have I ever stated who I think is the better corner? No but you jump to a conclusion because your man crush is pushing that of Tuiasosopo's on Manti. That is what I am talking about when I say you use one game.

Now he never posted those games in a single NFL game. Ever. Unless ESPN and NFL have them wrong?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Follow along please. You always talk about the game with his two pick sixes and how Cully has never done that. Now again, for the third time, have I ever stated who I think is the better corner? No but you jump to a conclusion because your man crush is pushing that of Tuiasosopo's on Manti. That is what I am talking about when I say you use one game.

Now he never posted those games in a single NFL game. Ever. Unless ESPN and NFL have them wrong?

Dumba$$ you follow along. How do I recite that one game (2 pick sixes) when I have said on multiple occasion that his best game by far was his first game against the Cards. He dominated that game like no other, I speak about that game more so than the 2nd Cardinals game when he had his 2 pick sixes. So thanks for playing along in making sh8 up about me only citing that one game to demonstrate how much of a great player he is. I didn't even watch that Rams game when he had 2 pick sixes. That day I was on this board with the rest of the regulars posting on our 49ers GDT because we were playing a game as well during that same time. So phuck off and shoot yourself in the face with a pellet gun.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bingo, I just want to point out that Cully played 63% of the defensive snaps this year. That was the 11th most on defense.

It's a significant drop from the top 9 (J Smith is 10, but he missed 2.5 games, so he shouldn't count) who all played 90+, but the guy with the 12th most is Sopoaga with only 31%.

To call Cully a starter is wrong, but to dismiss him as a backup is equally flawed.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he wouldn't be a good fit for us at FS. we basically play with two ss's, culliver is more like a merton hanks without the moves.

He'd be a great fit at fs.

deep9er don't think the difference between a SS and FS is as large today? both have to be good at tackling and coverage, ALMOST the same.

up to this point Culliver is showing himself to be a very good cover guy. a very good cover guy is really hard to find, so why move him to safety expecially when we don't have to?

We'll have an opening at fs next season. No need to pay Goldson top money when we have cap problems.

Having a fs that can cover, lock down with over the top help, as well as understand the cb spot and where he can help at as a fs would be very valuable.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

don't think the difference between a SS and FS is as large today? both have to be good at tackling and coverage, ALMOST the same.

We'll have an opening at fs next season. No need to pay Goldson top money when we have cap problems.

Having a fs that can cover, lock down with over the top help, as well as understand the cb spot and where he can help at as a fs would be very valuable.

He'd be a pro bowler too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Culliver would be a really good FS if the Niners ever decided to use him there. However, I think he's a great CB (and would be starting on most teams) and ideally they'll find a safety to replace Goldson if he leaves so Culliver can stay at CB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er don't think the difference between a SS and FS is as large today? both have to be good at tackling and coverage, ALMOST the same.

Wasn't paying attention, I thought the underlined was your deep9er impersonation and I thought, "damn, that's straight on!"

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As an Arm Chair GM I have my reservations about Culliver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

quality CB's are hard to find, and so far.......my opinion is Culliver is a very good CB. so good, he has a chance to be a Pro Bowler........at CB. not claiming it'll happen, but a good chance. we just read an article where Culliver is known to be good in coverage, despite not being a 'starter'.

now if the Coaches move Culliver to Safety, fine, why argue? but till then lets just agree he's playing well in coverage.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Culliver would be a really good FS if the Niners ever decided to use him there. However, I think he's a great CB (and would be starting on most teams) and ideally they'll find a safety to replace Goldson if he leaves so Culliver can stay at CB.

this is my line of thinking.....he has a chance to be a very good CB, and since CB's are harder to find, why move him?

its easier to find a good Safety, versus good CB. nowadays, you need as many cover guys as you can get.