• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys signed Melton

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article about the Bears GM questioning if Melton still had the desire to play football, or something like that. I'll have to dig, all searches for it just point back to his signing with Dallas right now.

I'll ask about the starting new threads thing. I have no idea.

Well, luckily we have Marinelli. I'll I trust his opinion on Melton over anyone else and especially over a GM that may be deflecting about a player that he expects to lose that he knows his fans wanted.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, luckily we have Marinelli. I'll I trust his opinion on Melton over anyone else and especially over a GM that may be deflecting about a player that he expects to lose that he knows his fans wanted.

Rightfully so. Doesn't mean that if the terms are 1/$5M fully guaranteed we should all be thankful and ecstatic about a guy with question marks. When the Bears refused to even make an offer to him though, I think they more than simply expected him to leave.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rightfully so. Doesn't mean that if the terms are 1/$5M fully guaranteed we should all be thankful and ecstatic about a guy with question marks. When the Bears refused to even make an offer to him though, I think they more than simply expected him to leave.

Agree, which is why I was so shocked with the original comment about $955K ONLY.

But, IMO, this is still a very good contract for us. Looks like there is some kind of injury protection and we could bail after one year if we want to. I'm still pretty happy with this contract.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fair contract. I really don't no much fundamentally about the Scheme our defense is running. Is Melton expected to be a guy who regularly collapse the pocket, bring pressure up the middle, and stuff the run? Or is he expected to be a 10+ sack guy with 70 plus tackles? What are his expectations and how would he best benefit this defensive scheme?

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fair contract. I really don't no much fundamentally about the Scheme our defense is running. Is Melton expected to be a guy who regularly collapse the pocket, bring pressure up the middle, and stuff the run? Or is he expected to be a 10+ sack guy with 70 plus tackles? What are his expectations and how would he best benefit this defensive scheme?

Ideally he would be the Warren Sapp of the Defense, Mareneille (sp) is on record saying the 3 technique is the most important in his scheme

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, which is why I was so shocked with the original comment about $955K ONLY.

But, IMO, this is still a very good contract for us. Looks like there is some kind of injury protection and we could bail after one year if we want to. I'm still pretty happy with this contract.

If it is the <$1M guaranteed then I'm dead wrong and it is a great deal. I heard 1/$5M guaranteed when I made my initial "this sucks" type comment.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let's see what Jerry can do after Round 3 in this year's draft.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is the <$1M guaranteed then I'm dead wrong and it is a great deal. I heard 1/$5M guaranteed when I made my initial "this sucks" type comment.

Sorry, didn't mean shocked by your reaction (although I was perplexed) meant more shocked that he would have signed for that little.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, didn't mean shocked by your reaction (although I was perplexed) meant more shocked that he would have signed for that little.

I tried to you folks Melton really wanted to play in Dallas for a variety of reasons. No better example than a prove yourself type contract

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't lie, I wanted him back in the Bear fold. When healthy he is a difference maker. Good luck to him, but hope his knee is aggravated and bothering him when we play you guys next.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to you folks Melton really wanted to play in Dallas for a variety of reasons. No better example than a prove yourself type contract

i wasn't really convinced that he wanted to be here until the news came out. i felt he was using the Cowboys as leverage to get a better deal from another team but it doesn't mean i didn't want him and this:

The Dallas Cowboys reached an agreement with former Bears DT Henry Melton Tuesday night.

Melton’s contract is interesting given that the Cowboys can walk away from the deal after one year, or they can keep him on their roster at the start of the 2015 season, which turns the agreement into a four-year deal.

Contract Details:

According Ian Rapoport, Melton will make $5 million for the 2014 season.
If he’s still on their roster at the start of the 2015 league year, three years will be added to his contract.
Assuming the Cowboys keep him beyond 2014, Melton will make $8 million per year and $9 million guaranteed in 2015, according to Rapoport.
Melton’s deal can essentially become a four-year contract worth $29 million that includes $14 million guaranteed.

was the best possible deal for the Cowboys.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wasn't really convinced that he wanted to be here until the news came out. i felt he was using the Cowboys as leverage to get a better deal from another team but it doesn't mean i didn't want him and this:

The Dallas Cowboys reached an agreement with former Bears DT Henry Melton Tuesday night.

Melton’s contract is interesting given that the Cowboys can walk away from the deal after one year, or they can keep him on their roster at the start of the 2015 season, which turns the agreement into a four-year deal.

Contract Details:

According Ian Rapoport, Melton will make $5 million for the 2014 season.
If he’s still on their roster at the start of the 2015 league year, three years will be added to his contract.
Assuming the Cowboys keep him beyond 2014, Melton will make $8 million per year and $9 million guaranteed in 2015, according to Rapoport.
Melton’s deal can essentially become a four-year contract worth $29 million that includes $14 million guaranteed.

was the best possible deal for the Cowboys.

this sounds more realistic.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that Melton could earn up to $5 million in 2014. That number must include a series of goals and incentives for Melton to reach to collect on the full dollar amount since it's being characterized as "up to" $5 million. Obviously with Melton coming off of injury the Cowboys wanted to protect themselves so I would imagine there are playing time incentives involved.
After 2014, the deal averages $8 million per year over three years if the Cowboys keep him on the roster past the first day of the NFL calendar year in 2015. $9 million of that is guaranteed if they keep him past that deadline.
So basically Melton signed a "prove it" deal for up to $5 million this season, with the reward for proving it already built in at roughly $8 million per year for three years. This is a great contract for the Cowboys. If Melton comes back in 2014 from his injury and performs well, then Dallas has their 3-technique locked up for three more years at a reasonable price during Melton's prime years. If Melton turns out to be a bust in 2014, the Cowboys can get out from under the deal with little damage done.
Reuniting Melton with Rod Marinelli should bring out the best in the player who has been tagged with the "off-the-field issues" label, hopefully the Cowboys can get that perception eradicated and have the engine to their 4-3 defense tuned up to maximum impact.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure that Melton has off the field issues. As far as I can remember, he was arrested one time for assault that occured when he and a bartender got into an argument.

Does anyone have any other information that suggests that he might be a problem off the field.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really sure that Melton has off the field issues. As far as I can remember, he was arrested one time for assault that occured when he and a bartender got into an argument.

Does anyone have any other information that suggests that he might be a problem off the field.

That was his only charge. drunk in public and assault on the bartender.
Only legal issues he has now is the bartender has a cival suit against him seeking "mental" damages.

On another note...... Thing I like about these prove it contracts is..... You will get the very best out of a player. They don't piss those type of contracts away.
If he doesn't work out it will be only because he hasnt recovered. Not because of lack of effort or anything off field.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something about Jernigan bothers me. Anybody else concerned that he could bust? I feel the same way about Dix.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DWI arrest also for Melton